“Ideally based for the city”

Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Ideally based for the city”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

we had a look weekend in Bristol and booked this as it was close to the city centre.

A nice welcome when we arrived and we were given a choice of floors, so we went as high as possible for a view over the city...but got the other side, so the view was of the local offices and ring road... Room was clean and comfortable, looking a bit dated in certain areas,

The bar gets busy, and they loose track of what order you arrive in, so people coming after you to the bar quite often get served before you, particularly if they have a pretty face......

Breakfast is a serve yourself buffet, no issue, this was very good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

holly.garnett@marriotthotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
quiero
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I had to stay in a hotel at short notice in April, and was lucky enough to find the Bristol Marriott free on the Friday for 3 days. I am a Marriott Rewards Member..From the beginning to the end of our stay I encountered very kind, and helpful staff. On arrival, there was a very lively party going on, so I was upgraded to the 9th floor, an Executive room which included free internet. A Double/Double room. It was very comfortable , My only issue was the bathroom, which did not have enough space and was difficult to move around in. I extended my stay and found another deal for several days from the Monday. I needed a Disabled room, so was helped to move to the 1st floor. This is a very quiet floor and has several disabled rooms. Much larger, and with a bathroom that was easier to move around in . The room overlooked the bridge. There was noise from the road, as there was on the 9th floor, but I think in Bristol it is difficult to get away from, especially on weekend nights when there is so much activity in and around the hotel. Access to the shops is very useful, a two minute walk from the front door of the hotel. I found the staff in the restaurant very polite and friendly, particularly the people who work behind the breakfast counter. There is a lot of choice for breakfast, but most hotels could improve with different yoghurts, and other options. Omelettes were available if requested. There was no pressure to rush to finish or arrive really early, as there is in other hotels. Room service was also very prompt and responsive, and the food was very enjoyable. The Rooms could probably do with redecoration, and possible changes to the bathrooms to make them easier to move around in (on the 9th floor).Parking for Disabled people could also be made easier with a Valet service, either added to the cost or at a reduced cost to compete with another local hotel . Overall, we had an excellent stay at the Marriott Bristol and. because I had to stay alone for several days, it was a very safe place . I cannot name all of the staff who made my stay so good, but from Reception, to the Restaurant, Bar and Housekeeping, including the Concierge and Office Staff, everyone deserves praise for their kindness and I would highly recommend the Bristol Marriott City Centre Hotel to anyone needing to stay in Bristol !!

Room Tip: The ninth floor rooms are large and Executive package allows free wifi. First floor rooms are very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with excellent service and we are so pleased that this was achieved during your stay.

We very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've worked and stayed in hotels all over the world but never a Marriott. I was under the impression that a Marriott hotel is somewhere you can guarantee a particular standard and needless to say I was extremely underwhelmed with this hotel.
I stayed for business in August 2014 after having been moved from the Mercure Redcliffe hotel due to over bookings. As a traveller in my mid twenties I found the room's decor to be extremely dated and ugly. The bathroom was tired with limescale all over the fittings - it was horrible. There was no free wifi or internet connection in the room - essential for a business traveller. You could get 24hrs free wifi in the bar but thats no good if you want to relax in your room and watch a film on your tablet. I was also woken up in the morning by the traffic outside and I am quite a heavy sleeper! I would suggest requesting a room with a odd number e.g. 301, 303 etc as all the even numbers are facing the main road.
However the room was large, bed comfortable and room service was fast, and the food was nice. It was great to see lots of English staff working in the hotel as this seems to becoming a rarity in other places!
Breakfast had a fair amount of choice and was good quality, however there are no options for those following a healthy diet - I would suggest making the porridge with half fat milk and offering low fat yogurts etc as the chef said it was all full fat and there was no offer to make something especially.
If you are visiting for leisure the hotel is centrally located - literally 2 mins on foot to the shops and 10mins to restaurants/bars/clubs, and so I would recommend staying if you get a good deal. Business travellers - avoid - Doubletree Hilton and Mercure Bristol Brigstow are much better.

Room Tip: Choose a room with odd numbers e.g 303, 305, 307 for a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. Firstly, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing aspects of your stay.

With regards to your comments about the feel of the hotel, we do try our utmost to keep our building and the decor well maintained. I apologise that you did not feel that this was the case during your stay and I can assure you that your comments have been shared with our management team.

In reference to the Internet, please be advised that our Internet is complimentary in all of our public areas. With regards to Internet in guest bedrooms, the charges are dictated to us by our provider to ensure that our guests experience high speed and high security Internet access.

We understand that our guests have varied diets and special dietary requirements. Our hosts are happy to assist our guests with special requests, however, I am sorry that nothing was offered to you on this occasion.

We're pleased to read that. overall, you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon. If I can ever be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott last Friday night. We had 2 rooms, a double for myself and my daughter and a triple for my other daughter and my 2 grand-children. We had a warm welcome with freshly cooked pop-corn handed to the children at reception. Check-in was swift and we were given our rooms an hour early as they were ready.
We were more than happy with our rooms, we stayed on the 10th floor for the views.
We used the pool, sauna and jacuzzi and every-one enjoyed it. (Towels were provided)
Lovely nights sleep in the comfy beds and a leisurely full English breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay as high as you can for views of Bristol.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

We very much hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with any future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We recently stayed overnight here en-route to Wales for a family holiday. I was not expecting very much from a city-centre chain hotel, but it was a really pleasant surprise.
The check-in staff were excellent, the concierge very kindly gave my children some colouring books and pens to keep them occupied, and the room itself was spacious, with an excellent view across the city centre.
We decided to dine in the hotel restaurant - and despite having two small children with us, the staff here could not have been more helpful and attentive.
We had a similar experience at breakfast.
If only all 4* hotels were of a similar standard.
Excellent.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor (10th) and had no noise whatsoever.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. At Marriott, we strive to offer all of our guests an excellent hotel experience and we are so pleased to read that this was achieved during your stay with us.

We very much hope that we will welcome you and your family back to the hotel again very soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Britain
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for one night in August 2014 , managed to get an upgrade as I arrived later than expected and rooms of the type I booked were unavailable ( I'm often baffled by this as surely the hotel knows what types of rooms it has to offer ) anyhow after a brief chat between reception and manager I was upgraded .
My usual problem occurred - namely that room keycards seldom work when first given to me . Perhaps the answer is to request 2 keys on arrival rather than go through the slide-red light-slide-redlight-slide red light-slide red light nonsense followed by some patronising receptionist telling me that the cards don't work if they are put near electrical items ( usually the cards don't work because the receptionist has not activated the card ) .
Anyway once I got into the room it was an excellent choice - spacious elegant clean and modern .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We hope that we will welcome you back to our hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Tullamore, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed recently in the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre and we found it only just Ok. The Room was very Hot and we could not Open any Windows and the Air Conditioning was Loud and Noisy and no way could you sleep with it on.
The Breakfast was a disaster and I had to Order Hot Tea 3 Times as on both previous attempts the Tea was only warm and too strong.
We would not Return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, 20 August 2014

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing aspects of your stay. I can assure you that your comments with regards to your breakfast experience have been shared with our Food & Beverage Manager to address with his team.

In relation to the air conditioning units, please be advised that we are currently in the process of replacing them in all of our bedrooms. This will result in quieter units that produce either hot or cold air at a much faster rate than the ones that we currently have in our rooms.

We very much hope that, despite this experience, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future, and that we will restore your faith in the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre.