“Room with a bath near Bath!”

Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a classic Marriott hotel in Bristol about 25 minutes from Bath. See historic Bristol and the very famous city of Bath.
The hotel Is as is to be expected a well appointed Marriott property.
Very comfortable rooms, huge fluffy pillows and a powerful hot shower and bath.

Room service is good and the BREAKFAST is a real treat, typical British breakfast, lovely food.
Staff are very good and well trained.
The only issue that was a failure was using the pretty unsightly local multi story car park which is run by the local council but the rate of 14 sterling pounds for 24 hours is a fair deal.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We very much hope that we will welcome you back to our hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Just few words to describe this hotel: pleasant, friendly and excellent customer care! I spent 3 days with my family in Bristol and I stayed at Marriott Bristol city centre and everything was perfect. After long days walking and traveling to and from Bristol we used to chill out at the bar/lounge of the hotel. Honestly I have never seen such a positive environment in any other hotel. All bar staff was extremely friendly and positive. Due to their advises we had good dinner and really good time. Robert was our inspiration guide for few cocktails and an Italian guy, with a not really Italian name (Walter), surrounded us with cares and his charismatic knoledge of food and wines. All guys working in the lounge match perfectly with this amazing city and marriott culture. We will definetely suggest this hotel as point of start for your vacation in Bristol.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. At Marriott, we strive to provide our guests with comfortable stay and high levels of service, and we are delighted to read that this is what you experienced.

I can assure you that your very kind comments about Robert and Walter have been shared with their manager so that they can be properly recognised for your feedback.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed with my wife and one year old daughter on the 10th of August 2014. It was supposed to be a special stay as it was my daughters first birthday.
The good points of the hotel are that the lobby is large, clean and has a feel of luxury. The staff were all very friendly and could answer any questions we had.
That is were the good points end.
The first thing to mention was the state of the taps in the bathroom. They were covered in lime scale and this gave an unsanitary feel to the bathroom. The second point was that the bathroom was also very small. just enough room to get in the door. The third point about the bathroom is the temperature of the water. This is something I have experienced in Marriott hotels before. It gets very hot to the point were it feels almost scalding.
At around 9pm the fire alarm went off and subsequently woke my daughter and frightened her. The alarm only sounded for about 15-20 seconds but was enough to disturb her and it took another hour or so to get her to calm down and go back to sleep. When we called reception to find out what had happened there was no answer. It would of been nice to have been told what disturbed my daughters sleep.
The biggest shock of my stay was when we found out that parking at this hotel costs a humongous £14.50 a night. I'm glad I was only staying for one night as I doubt I could afford a full weekend or god forbid a full week at that price. This I was told was a discounted price from the usual fee of £20. Not much of a discount if you ask me.
Another extortionate cost was the fee to have WiFi in my room. £15 a day in this day and age is ridiculous. I expected to maybe pay a small fee somewhere up to £5 but three times that is just a joke and I was if I am honest slightly insulted that you would try and charge this much for something that I would feel, for a city centre hotel, is a necessity for both the personal and business travellers.
The last annoyance was the fact that we were issued with a bucket for the ice machine. We were on the 5th floor and found that to my surprise there is no ice machine on this floor or any other floor bar the first. There is however a sign and a piece of grey plastic where the ice machine used to live. It was only after asking at reception did I find out that the only working machine is on the first floor. A little sign on the piece of grey plastic would have helped me avoid having to ask staff or maybe an actual working ice machine on every floor.
I feel I have been generous with the 3 star review and feel that really this may have been more of a 2 star review.

Room Tip: Prepare to pay a lot for the extras that aren't included in your stay. ie car parking and WiFi.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. Firstly, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing aspects of your stay.

With regards to your comments about the feel of the bathroom, we do try our utmost to keep our building and the rooms well maintained. I apologise that you did not feel that this was the case during your stay and I can assure you that your comments have been shared with our management team.

Regarding the fire alarm, it went off due to an incident in another guest’s bedroom and we are sorry for any inconvenience casued to you and your family. We do have a fire team on duty every shift to investigate any incidents and we do our best to do this as quickly as possible to disturb our other guests as little as possible.

In relation to car parking, the prices are dictated to us by the NCP and as much as we try to offer our guests a discounted parking rate, we are unable to control the prices.

In reference to the Internet, please be advised that our Internet is complimentary in all of our public areas. In relation to Internet in guest bedrooms, the charges are dictated to us by our provider to ensure that our guests experience high speed and high security Internet access.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and restore your faith in the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. If I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

we had a look weekend in Bristol and booked this as it was close to the city centre.

A nice welcome when we arrived and we were given a choice of floors, so we went as high as possible for a view over the city...but got the other side, so the view was of the local offices and ring road... Room was clean and comfortable, looking a bit dated in certain areas,

The bar gets busy, and they loose track of what order you arrive in, so people coming after you to the bar quite often get served before you, particularly if they have a pretty face......

Breakfast is a serve yourself buffet, no issue, this was very good.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael C

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I had to stay in a hotel at short notice in April, and was lucky enough to find the Bristol Marriott free on the Friday for 3 days. I am a Marriott Rewards Member..From the beginning to the end of our stay I encountered very kind, and helpful staff. On arrival, there was a very lively party going on, so I was upgraded to the 9th floor, an Executive room which included free internet. A Double/Double room. It was very comfortable , My only issue was the bathroom, which did not have enough space and was difficult to move around in. I extended my stay and found another deal for several days from the Monday. I needed a Disabled room, so was helped to move to the 1st floor. This is a very quiet floor and has several disabled rooms. Much larger, and with a bathroom that was easier to move around in . The room overlooked the bridge. There was noise from the road, as there was on the 9th floor, but I think in Bristol it is difficult to get away from, especially on weekend nights when there is so much activity in and around the hotel. Access to the shops is very useful, a two minute walk from the front door of the hotel. I found the staff in the restaurant very polite and friendly, particularly the people who work behind the breakfast counter. There is a lot of choice for breakfast, but most hotels could improve with different yoghurts, and other options. Omelettes were available if requested. There was no pressure to rush to finish or arrive really early, as there is in other hotels. Room service was also very prompt and responsive, and the food was very enjoyable. The Rooms could probably do with redecoration, and possible changes to the bathrooms to make them easier to move around in (on the 9th floor).Parking for Disabled people could also be made easier with a Valet service, either added to the cost or at a reduced cost to compete with another local hotel . Overall, we had an excellent stay at the Marriott Bristol and. because I had to stay alone for several days, it was a very safe place . I cannot name all of the staff who made my stay so good, but from Reception, to the Restaurant, Bar and Housekeeping, including the Concierge and Office Staff, everyone deserves praise for their kindness and I would highly recommend the Bristol Marriott City Centre Hotel to anyone needing to stay in Bristol !!

Room Tip: The ninth floor rooms are large and Executive package allows free wifi. First floor rooms are very...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with excellent service and we are so pleased that this was achieved during your stay.

We very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've worked and stayed in hotels all over the world but never a Marriott. I was under the impression that a Marriott hotel is somewhere you can guarantee a particular standard and needless to say I was extremely underwhelmed with this hotel.
I stayed for business in August 2014 after having been moved from the Mercure Redcliffe hotel due to over bookings. As a traveller in my mid twenties I found the room's decor to be extremely dated and ugly. The bathroom was tired with limescale all over the fittings - it was horrible. There was no free wifi or internet connection in the room - essential for a business traveller. You could get 24hrs free wifi in the bar but thats no good if you want to relax in your room and watch a film on your tablet. I was also woken up in the morning by the traffic outside and I am quite a heavy sleeper! I would suggest requesting a room with a odd number e.g. 301, 303 etc as all the even numbers are facing the main road.
However the room was large, bed comfortable and room service was fast, and the food was nice. It was great to see lots of English staff working in the hotel as this seems to becoming a rarity in other places!
Breakfast had a fair amount of choice and was good quality, however there are no options for those following a healthy diet - I would suggest making the porridge with half fat milk and offering low fat yogurts etc as the chef said it was all full fat and there was no offer to make something especially.
If you are visiting for leisure the hotel is centrally located - literally 2 mins on foot to the shops and 10mins to restaurants/bars/clubs, and so I would recommend staying if you get a good deal. Business travellers - avoid - Doubletree Hilton and Mercure Bristol Brigstow are much better.

Room Tip: Choose a room with odd numbers e.g 303, 305, 307 for a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Marriott Bristo... C, Guest Relations Manager at Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

With regards to your comments about the feel of the hotel, we do try our utmost to keep our building and the decor well maintained. I apologise that you did not feel that this was the case during your stay and I can assure you that your comments have been shared with our management team.

In reference to the Internet, please be advised that our Internet is complimentary in all of our public areas. With regards to Internet in guest bedrooms, the charges are dictated to us by our provider to ensure that our guests experience high speed and high security Internet access.

We understand that our guests have varied diets and special dietary requirements. Our hosts are happy to assist our guests with special requests, however, I am sorry that nothing was offered to you on this occasion.

We're pleased to read that. overall, you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon. If I can ever be of any assistance with future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at the Marriott last Friday night. We had 2 rooms, a double for myself and my daughter and a triple for my other daughter and my 2 grand-children. We had a warm welcome with freshly cooked pop-corn handed to the children at reception. Check-in was swift and we were given our rooms an hour early as they were ready.
We were more than happy with our rooms, we stayed on the 10th floor for the views.
We used the pool, sauna and jacuzzi and every-one enjoyed it. (Towels were provided)
Lovely nights sleep in the comfy beds and a leisurely full English breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay as high as you can for views of Bristol.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at the Bristol Marriott Hotel City Centre. We are so pleased to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay at our hotel.

We very much hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon, and if I can be of any assistance with any future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me.