“Classic location, good hotel”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 17 June 2012

As a Bristol graduate, this hotel couldn't be in a better location. To wake up with the Wills Tower outside your bedroom window is perfect. The rooms are a little cramped, and the bathrooms not as luxurious as is normally the case for hotels in this price range, but the complementary refreshments in-room - fresh fruit, ground coffee, loose-leaf tea and a small decanter of sherry, for goodness sake - are very welcome. Breakfast is of excellent quality, and served efficiently. I did not eat in the evening - the lure of Browns just over the road, housed in what was, in my day, the University Refectory, was too much (although the prices have changed somewhat since 1979 when I paid 50p for a meat pie and veg plus steamed pudding).

All in all, good value and a welcome change from the corporate chain hotels. I'd certainly return, although I might think twice if coming by car because of the metered parking.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed one night, as I had business at Bristol University, and this hotel was recommended by a business colleague, in view of its location.
Nice single room, and an excellent breakfast included in the price. I understand that the hotel restraunt has a good reputation, but I dined out at Jamie Oliver's Italian which is just around the corner.
Nice touches in the room, including a carafe of sherry, a bowl of good quality fresh fruit, Sony Hi Fi, and a Philips wide screen flat panel TV. Overnight parking in a secure garage at a reasonable £7 per night. One word of warning, this partof Bristol is like San Francisco without the cable cars, and the trek to the university is up a steep hill. Ok if you're 25, but when you are approaching 65, a cab may be preferable! All the hotel staff were extremely helpful, which led to an excellent stay. Will use again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank bevsboy_12
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel visiting family in the area. It was in a great location and had parking facilities. The room was on the 3rd floor and was big enough with a large bed. We had fresh fruit and complimentary sherry which was a nice touch.Everything was well presented and clean. The staff in the reception are were polite and helpful. We had breakfast the following day which was freshly prepared and very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed for just one night in a single room. I parked in the hotel's secure garage which was OK at £7 night. Street parking was restricted to 2 hours. I was surprised at how small the room was but then rarely stay in singles so have little to compare against. The bathroom was fine although not spotless. I cleaned the calcium from the shower head and got a much better flow than the initial trickle. The bedroom was very warm as it was a hot sunny day. The window opened but it was difficult to get any air movement. A bowl of fresh fruit was a nice touch although a bottle of water, some biscuits, and more than 1 teabag and 1 pot of milk would have been better. The wardrobe was not big enough to hang my clothes in but then the room was very compact. My only real complaint about the room is that the bed, and bedding, was dreadful. The single base was not sprung. The mattress has coil springs, not pocket, and not very many if them. When I lay on the bed I went straight through the mattress to the base. It was very, very, bad. The sheets were threadbare and falling to pieces. I have not seen the style of blanket on the bed for a very long time! Come on, every hotel offers duvets these days!!!

Room aside, I was very unhappy to find that having paid a premium to stay at this hotel because of the hotel club which stayed open until 2am it actually closed at 11pm. We had arranged to meet several colleagues in the club after a dinner function so ended up having to go back out and meet elsewhere. This was very inconvenient. No excuse was offered and not even an apology.

Despite complaining at checkout no discount was offered. The lady in reception said she would check the bed and email me with a special offer for my next stay but failed to follow through.

If you are looking for somewhere to collapse as part of a stag/hen break, are not very fussy, and get a very good rate, this hotel may suit. Otherwise I would recommend one of the many chain hotels locally that offer much better rooms & beds, and service, for around the same price.

• Stayed: May 2012
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feed back on your stay with us recently. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to the standard you had hoped for. I apologise for the bed you stayed in being in a poor condition, an issue that has only recently occurred. This bed has now been discarded with a new bed in its place. Without your feedback this issue may have not been brought to my attention as quickly, so thank you.

In regards to the club opening hours, this is managed separately therefore I shall pass your comments on to the restaurant manager as I am sure he will want to contact you directly.

For any future visits to the Berkeley Square: Our 24 hour reception team are always more than happy to bring up anything to your room such as a fan to cool the room down, extra milk (including fresh milk), tea, coffee, toiletries etc.

Thank you again for your feedback, I have taken all your comments into careful consideration. I have also emailed you directly with a more detailed reply to your feedback so please let me know if this has not been received and call me directly on the hotel phone number.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

It's a small hotel....I suppose it might be termed "boutique". The rooms aren't very big but the details are done so well that I never really care. Excellent cafetiere coffee, selection of teas etc Complementary carafe of sherry, fresh fruit and really good toiletries.
There's garage car parking further along the square. The location is excellent, close to plenty of eateries, shops etc....however, the food in the hotel is so good, I've always eaten in (not exactly cheap mind you).
The bar downstairs is very popular with a chic(ish) crowd.
I have to stay in Bristol from time to time....this is always my preferred hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and comments. Your feedback is really appreciated, especially from a regular trip advisor reviewer. We value our regular customers so I hope you have joined our loyalty scheme!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

The Berkeley Square hotel team.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

I came to Bristol on a business trip and the Berkeley Square provided everything needed to make my short trip comfortable and convenient. The single room I stayed in was compact but still had a desk to work from and I enjoyed the free sherry! Everyone I dealt with made an effort to make me feel welcome and helped with taxis and printing out some documents I needed for meetings. Overall I enjoyed my stay and will use The Berkeley Square hotel on my next business trip to Bristol.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed for two nights at the Berkley Square hotel and was really disappointed considering we were paying an average of £100 per night, without breakfast included. We were put in a room in the basement for the Saturday night which was grubby and felt dated. When we returned to the room after an evening out, music was blaring from the bar next door and we were told this would not stop until 1am and that there was nothing that could be done. If we had been warned that this happened on a Frtiday and Saturday night we woud never have agreed to stay at this hotel as had a really early start the next day. We managed to get a bottle of wine as an apology gesture but it took a lot more persuasion than I would have expected!
The next moring I was unable to have a shower due to the fact that there was absolutely no cold water pressure. The shower consisted of a trickle of scolding water. We were eventaully offered another room to shower in but by this time it was too late as it was my mum's birthday and we needed to plan her party. This led to a really bad start to what was a very busy and important day for us! When paying £100 a night you would expect at the very least a good nights sleep and a shower. We got neither. My boyfriend was also unable to get an iron to use as one could not be found in the whole hotel.
We complained again and got moved to another room on the Sunday night which was much better quality - cleaner, windows with a view and a working shower. The only downside was that we had had food moved to the minibar in the new room but the mini bar had not been turned on so this was all ruined.
The staff at reception were friendly and as helpful as they could be but we sensed that they did not have the authority to compensate us in the way we would have expected. We appreciate that they did all they could to make things better for us once we had complained but unfortunately much of this was too late to change the impression that the hotel left on us.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple