“Trip to see the Bristol International Balloon Festival”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Parking was a bit of a worry knowing this part of busy Bristol, but we booked a parking space although receptionist advised it did not really matter if we booked now or later, but made sure we did, a blessing. On arrival to a pleasant green square beautiflly lit, we went to the parking garage, our space was taken, but the young man at reception managed to sort it out, a little stressful and bit of a worry after a 4 hour drive.

Top Floor Twin Room (not advertised as available on website had to ring and ask, good job we did as the art styling and location was a must and reviews about the Hotel food). Room not that spacious but delightful and amazing views ! Bed was tremenduslously bouncy and I got back ache, pity, too soft. Sherry (only one glass not two ) a nice welcome - fruit bowl and tea/coffee selection, lovely yummy biscuits.

Breakfast xcellent, reasonable times. Stayed in to watch Olympics on our last night a Sunday and wanted room service, was refused at first as just too late, had 15 mins till close, but Bar Man swung it for us, Thanks, we had a scrummy evening in ! Great Steak Sandwich & Fries & TV !

Balloon Festivalled the Friday, as far as the Sat Balloon Festival - oversubscribed, wee drove & sat in traffic queues, no joy, eneded up in Portishead for a pasta meal by the waters edge, nice saw and heard fireworks from the restaurant, a pity we were not there under the fireworks ! Badly handled by Police for roads, frustrating and annoying to say the least. Used to be able to walk the Suspension Bridge, if had researched this we would have stayed somewhere else possibly, but art hotel & bar and read up on website of patio garden and bar swung it for me . . . (Outside Patio Area needed a good wash/hose down, smelt in mornings terribly of beery night before, not conducive after such a stunning breakfast.) Food is great ! Pity we missed out on an evening meal, menu looked tempting. Staff were all lovely!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 August 2012

checked in as a couple with 8 year old,room was fine,clean,quality bed,bathroom,welcome carafe of sherry,good quality hifi/t.v,nice view of the park square,great location.other travellers state small rooms but ours was fine given the nature of the building-once a ywca i believe,very helpful front of house staff,especially mark,who swapped his car space to get us into the garage,could happily have stayed longer,would definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank justinthymeEngland
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. As our hotel is in a grade II listed Georgian building all our rooms come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes. Each room has its own quirk and I am glad you experienced one of the rooms with the beautiful view over the square outside. All of our rooms come with complimentary sherry which is very popular with our guests!

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed here on the night of our wedding as it was close to Bristol Zoo, and we thought we might need to return to the venue afterwards to help clear up. Arrived about 11:00, managed to park directly outside. However we were concerned immediately by the level of noise coming from the basement. Checked in, Tom was the night porter on duty, and was booked in to room 1. Explained our concerns about the noise to find out that it was actually the hotel hosting a wedding and it was licensed to go on till one o'clock. Our room was right next to the event, and it could only have been louder if we tried to sleep inside one of the speakers! Didn't even bother to unpack, and returned to reception. No other rooms available, and they couldn't provide an alternate hotel. As much as Tom tried there was nothing to do but leave and find another hotel ourselves, after a very long day, very tired and of course this was our wedding night! I would never stay here again or recommend it, the hotel knew they had a wedding on, why on earth didn't they inform us? This could easily have ruined our wedding, as it was by the time we found a place to stay it was about 2hrs later. From what I saw of the room I certainly wouldn't class this as a boutique hotel, and our room certainly wasn't much to get excited about. Tom was the only good point from our experience, helpful and friendly. Still waiting for our refund as promised, but have been told this could take a week, odd how they never have a problem taking the money.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Max186220
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry about the disappointing experience you had during your brief stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel, especially as it was on your wedding night.

There are sometimes events occurring in the Square bar downstairs on a weekend, although we always do our best to contact every guest who is due to stay with us to warn them of any possible noise issues. Unfortunately, the travel agent you booked through, Expedia, doesn't provide the hotel with any contact details so we couldn't inform you of this. All travel agent websites also have a comments box where guests are able to inform us of special occasions such as weddings or room requests.

With regards to the refund for your stay I’m afraid the time it takes for the money to reach your account is out of our hands as Expedia is a big company and it takes up to 10 days for a refund to be processed.

I hope you enjoyed your stay at the new hotel you found and my offer still stands for a discount on a future stay here. I would really like for you to experience the Berkeley Square hotel at its best so please feel free to contact me directly on the hotel's phone number: 0117 925 4000.

I would also like to add that this is a very unusual situation at the Berkeley Square Hotel as we have never had guests book through a third party website for such a special occasion as their wedding night, but once again I am sorry for your disappointing experience and hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Stayed for two nights during that very small snippet of summer we had in July. Room was on second floor. Very small single room, which was very hot. First night, I booked in and went to my room to shower. Discovered that there was no hot water. I was informed that the boiler was broken and I had to wait over two hours for it to be fixed. Room was quite tatty, especially the grouting in the bathroom. Did not sleep much first night due to the noise from the bar: music stopped around 1.30am. I asked to be moved and was put in a room on the top floor - which was quieter, but also smaller and much warmer with a very tiny window quite high up, and again, quite tatty decor. There was a beer garden below with what may have been a recycling facility and there was very loud noise for a few hours of bottles being thrown in. Reception staff had been very friendly when I arrived, but were not so helpful once I had complained. This is not a cheap hotel, and I would definately not stay here again, or recommend it, which is a shame as it has such a fantastic location, very near to excellent shops and resturants, and with a really nice little 'green' right out front. On previous trips to Bristol, I have stayed in the Future Inn next to Cabot Circus. Much better accommodation and much quieter despite the location, so this is where I will be going back to.

Room Tip: Higher the better to escape the noise from the bar.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I was booked in here by a client I was working with in Bristol. Described to me as a boutique hotel I was hoping for a little "Clifton style & glamour". Overall my experience was disappointing.

Arrival was fine - but I was assigned a single room with the bed tucked hard against a wall - and had walls I could touch with arms outstretched across the width of the room. I asked for, and was given, an upgrade to a double room for an extra £10.00. The room was again small but at least I could navigate around the bed.

THE BAD: There was only one spare plug - so I could charge my laptop or my phone but not both, unless I unplugged either the Tv or the fan. The latter was essential as the room was very warm - despite the opening the window wide and the outside weather being relatively cool.

The bathroom was also small - had to wind myself around the door to get in. The fixtures were grubby with mould apparent in corners. The shower head was grungy with calcium and gave only a limited volume of water. One of the taps was broken. Complimentary shoe polish and shower cap - but only squeezy bottles of soap / shower gel which is not the mark of a quality hotel.

The temperature problem continued through the night - allowing me only a restless sleep. Waking early, with a raging thirst I discovered:

a. The mini bar wasn't keeping anything cold - it appeared to be broken.

b. The mouldy half eaten sandwich in the mini bar.

THE GOOD: Arriving back after dinner the "Square Bar" was comfortable with a very helpful waiter who found me a decent malt whisky and served it exactly as I requested. Breakfast was well cooked and I was allowed to order "off menu" for a slice of friend bread.

THE AVERAGE: On departing the front desk was keen to process my credit card and take my payment but didn't ask how I found my stay, ask if everything was OK or wish me good morning as I left. I therefore gave them a brief run down of my concerns - which received scant attention and no meaningful apology.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear MarmoraMan,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing the Berkeley Square Hotel and posting your feedback following your stay.

Please accept our apologies for your stay being disappointing. The Berkeley Square Hotel is a boutique hotel in a grade II listed Georgian building and therefore our rooms come in all shapes and sizes, each with their own charm and quirkiness. I have used your feedback to hold thorough meetings with my house keeping and reception team to address the issues you have raised, ensuring they will not happen again.

Thank you again for your feedback. If you would like to speak to me directly on the hotel number 0117 925 400 I am always happy to discuss any further comments you may have.

Kind Regards,

Ellie

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Very pleased with the location althought the walk up the Park Street hill was very tiring, a taxi or a bus from the station a must! The double room was small but adequate for one night and very clean, the bed squeeked when you sat on it. A small bathroom too but again it was adequate with lovely big bath sheets. The mini bar seemed to have all that you could want. A small decanter of Bristol cream sherry was complimentary but I didnt realise, which was a shame as that would have started the evening nicely! An excellent breakfast menu, I had poached eggs on toasted english muffins with hollandaise and bacon and a very good fruit salad delicious. In all very good value and I would visit again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Dear Ally m,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Berkeley Square Hotel and posting your feedback for fellow travelers to read.

The complimentary Bristol cream sherry is very popular with our guests so I do hope you return to the Berkeley Square to enjoy this. Our breakfast menu has received high praise by our guests, especially the Eggs Royale!

We look forward to seeing you back at the Berkeley Square Hotel. Please feel free to contact us directly on 0117 925 4000 to book your next room.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed here for a very enjoyable weekend break recently. The hotel has real style and character and is in a briliiant location for exploring the city centre and Clifton. Our room was fine with all that we needed and the complimentary fruit was welcome on a hot day. The Harbour Festival was on during our stay so there was plenty to see and do within easy reach. We also visited some of the museums and galleries as well as the Cathedral. Park Street, close to the hotel has plenty of great restaurants and cafes as well as some good shops. We'd come by train so didn't have to worry about parking and apart from a taxi to and from the station, we went everywhere on foot. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was delicious. The only negative of our stay was some noise from a disco on both nights. We'd definitely stay here again but would probably request a room at the back of the hotel and on a higher floor.

Room Tip: If staying at the weekend choose a room on one of the higher floors floor and at the back to avoid n...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after staying with us, I am glad you had a good stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel. I regret to read that there was a noisy disco that disturbed your stay but if you would like to stay again on a weekend I would suggest booking directly so you can request a room on a higher floor. You can call us directly on 0117 925 4000.

Thank you again for your kind words about the hotel and our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Berkeley Square Hotel.