“Overall, pretty good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Monmouthshire, United Kingdom
“Overall, pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

I've been staying here for about 5 years now. Slap-bang in the middle of town, right next to the university. Small 'boutique' style hotel. Rooms are small but comfy, the decanter of sherry is a nice touch. It's a little expensive, but it is city center. My only real peeve is the £2 per hour for wifi. In this day and age it should be free and to charge £2 an houris a real rip off, especially when the room will have cost your somewhere around £100. They have a secure garage for parking, well worth it at £7 for 24 hours in a student city if you have a decent motor. Anyway, it suits my needs when in Bristol.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BrianMPowell
Ellie F, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay here again.

It is common for the top rated hotels in Bristol to charge for wi-fi, for example the Marriott, Ramada, and Novotel to name just a few. We charge half the price for our 24 hour price (at just £5) than these hotels. We don't include wi-fi charges in our room rate so that we aren't charging those guests who don't use wi-fi for an unused service. This means we are able to keep our room only rates down making us one of the most competitively priced boutique hotels in Bristol.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing the Berkeley Square Hotel 5 years in a row. Our team looks forward to your stay again next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

Great location, stayed here for business recently, small single room, but perfectly formed with lovely furniture, mini bar, free fruit, free sherry, however personally in a hotel room I would like proper milk & free bottled water along with nice smellies, but this was different.
The room was hot, very hot, but opened the window and all was well. The bathroom had a shower over bath which was very powerful, so much so the horrid shower curtain stuck to me every 30 seconds...no hotel can call itself boutique with shower curtains these days surely.
The bar in the basement has atmosphere and the square restaurant upstairs served excellent food, even if it was as a bit sparse on the plate. The service was slow, but generally good.
Breakfast selection was excellent, again slow service for tea and my breakfast was different to my order, but beautiful poached eggs non the less, but quick drinks are a must when you need to wait for your food.
The garage was good, pre booked this but with no directions prior to arrival had to park outside, then run into hotel to locate it...now each space is labelled with your details which was a nice touch, but please make the text larger as it was impossible to read unless you get out of your car and locate your space on foot, there was also loads of bird mess in there which wasn't very pleasant. Overall a very nice hotel, with character in a beautiful city, so much nicer than a chain but oom for improvement in a few areas but generally a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. Reviews like these are really appreciated and your feedback is very important to us.

I am pleased you enjoyed the fresh fruit and sherry. Just to let you know that we do have a 24 hour reception team that is always happy to bring up a jug of fresh milk to your room. A few of our Executive Single rooms still have shower curtains so we are working on a refurbishment project that includes updating these single rooms with new glass shower screens. Also the garage is to be deep cleaned first thing next week and our parking reservation signs are now in a much larger text.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel.
Aylesbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

You charged me for two breakfasts despite the fact that I was on my own, and this was obvious to your staff at a quiet time. The manager refused to reimburse me as he said he had paid booking.com a commission for two people!!

The staff were lovely, the hotel was great and a good price, this has really dissapointed me as I have five more trips to Bristol before Christmas this year, but wont stay at The Berkeley on principal, you have ripped me off.

This stupidity has cost you around a thousand pounds, so well done to the manager there for a great decision for £11.00!!!

Room Tip: Check your bill!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank DerekAylesbury
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed at the hotel probably 5 nights a year for the past 2 years .I have found it to be excellent value and the staff always helpful .The rooms are more welcoming than your usual chains and are more homely .I would recommend it .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Had a rather dingy room in the basement, fortunately no noise from the bar, noisy minibar right next to the bed though and impossibe to turn off, and pretty hot with ac not working, no bath, silly small charge for wifi.

Breakfast was good, with variety and good quality.

Professional staff would probably have helped with my room problems, but it was late and i was too tired to tackle them.

Unusual, comfortable, good staff and conveniently located for city centre, good value.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Ellie F, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to read that you weren’t 100% satisfied with your room. Some of our Lower Deck double rooms don’t have the same lovely views of the square as our other rooms and therefore aren’t as light. Due to the nature of our grade II listed Georgian building, air conditioning is not possible to install but reception are more than happy to bring down a fan to your room. We do have a 24 hour reception desk so if you do stay again with us please feel free to call down to reception with any problems you may have. For example, a noisy minibar can be switched off by reception.

If you are visiting Bristol again, please feel free to contact me directly on the hotel’s number: 0117 925 4000. I would like to ensure you are allocated one of our nicer rooms with a view, so that you can experience the best the Berkeley Square Hotel has to offer.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights while attending a friend's wedding. As the wedding was in Clifton, the location of the hotel is ideal, although even for getting into the centre of Bristol is not a problem and no more than 15 minutes walk.

We found the hotel perfectly adequate for our requirements, the common parts were clean and nicely furnshed, and the staff friendly and helpful. The parking in a private garage is also a good touch, and worth the £7 a day rate. We got a great deal online for £79 room only per night and after requesting a quiet room, we were given one on the 3rd floor, which was very quiet. The room was on the small side but again perfectly adequate, very clean and with a large and comfortable bed - perfect for what we needed. The complimentary sherry and fruit was also a nice touch.

I didn't try the food in the restaurant (although it sounded nice), but I would definitelly recommend Rocatillo's next door for a fantastic breakfast!

Overall a perfectly decent hotel which, while not fantastic in every respect, was good value, well located, clean and wiith friendly service. At these prices would happily stay again if back in Bristol

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and were placed on the top floor - very nice room and a very quiet night...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin M
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stay here once a month or so for work trips, and have found it to be reliably comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful, and will deal promptly with requests (eg for internet access, more coffee and milk in the room, etc). It is ideally located close to the university, but in a quiet area. The only problem I've ever encountered was being given a room with a shower rather than a bath, and I was moved to a room with both after requesting this. I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (the staff know which are quieter!)
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Annabelle R
Ellie F, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Many of our guests who stay at The Berkeley Square Hotel during the week are also here on business trips. Therefore we like to make sure their stay is as comfortable as possible after a day at work. Our reception team takes into account any special requests, such as a room with a bath, and does their best to allocate the right room. We look forward to your next stay.