The Berkeley Square Hotel
Hotels.com
US$104
US$101
  • Restaurant
Ibis Bristol Centre(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$97
Hotels.com
US$127
US$123
Agoda.com
Future Inn Cabot Circus Hotel(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$105
Travelocity
US$100
US$90
  • Pool
All reviewscomplimentary sherrybristol creambowl of fruitquiet squarebasement barsecure garageground coffeeloose leaf tealittle touchesdvd playerclifton areaexcellent breakfasthotel is in a great locationone night stayvisiting bristoluniversitydecanter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This was the second time I'd stayed in this hotel. The room was clean and the bed was firm and comfortable. Good shower / bath. Complimentary decanter of good sherry and bowl of fruit.

The breakfast was very good - buffet for items that are OK in a buffet, such as cereals and mini croissants, pains aux raisins etc - and very good ones. Excellent choice for cooked breakfast which was cooked and brought to you rather than a buffet with tasteless stuff. My bacon, poached eggs and sausage were excellent as was my colleague's waffles, bacon and maple syrup.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I have stayed here before: it has style (if getting a bit shabby) and a great location in the heart of the lively part of Bristol. This time, however, will probably be the last. The heating in my late booked £66 per night "executive" single room did not work. My guess is that it has not worked for some time and no-one was too bothered until the weather got colder.

The room was cold when I arrived and the heating did not respond to the thermostat on the wall. Reception at first offered to move me to another room. When I had repacked and returned to the desk downstairs with my luggage the receptionist decided to tell me that even though the rest of the hotel seemed almost over-warm the heating "boost" did not come on until 6pm, in October, in England. Yeah, right. The receptionist then said she would talk to the manager and soon afterwards advised me that the "boost" had been switched on early at 5pm and the room would be warm within 15-20 minutes. It was not and the radiator remained stone cold for my entire stay. Eventually I got a fan heater - not impressive.

When taking the customer for an idiot and then lying to him is considered a good way to operate a hotel, it really tells us to steer clear. Probably that's my my advice now for the Berkeley Square I'm afraid.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing stay with us. I can confirm that our maintenance team have fixed the problem with the radiator. We haven’t had a problem with our heating since winter has approached and I’m extremely sorry your radiator wasn’t working for your stay.

With regards to how your situation was handled I can only sincerely apologise as this isn’t our usual standard of customer service. The receptionist that dealt with your situation is new to our team and was unsure about the heating therefore after calling me she found out how to boost the heating in your room. Since reading your review I have held a training session with my team on how to deal with problems similar to these.

I would like to speak to you directly about this situation and offer you a discount on your stay so please feel free to call me on 0117 925 4000.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

This hotel is in a great location in a very quiet square near the city centre. It is within easy reach of museums restaurants and shops. The restaurant at the hotel was top quality , even if a little pricey, great for that occasion..

Room Tip: There is a club in the basement. Ask for a quiet room to avoid late night music
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KiamaraKid
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I've been staying here for about 5 years now. Slap-bang in the middle of town, right next to the university. Small 'boutique' style hotel. Rooms are small but comfy, the decanter of sherry is a nice touch. It's a little expensive, but it is city center. My only real peeve is the £2 per hour for wifi. In this day and age it should be free and to charge £2 an houris a real rip off, especially when the room will have cost your somewhere around £100. They have a secure garage for parking, well worth it at £7 for 24 hours in a student city if you have a decent motor. Anyway, it suits my needs when in Bristol.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BrianMPowell

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay here again.

It is common for the top rated hotels in Bristol to charge for wi-fi, for example the Marriott, Ramada, and Novotel to name just a few. We charge half the price for our 24 hour price (at just £5) than these hotels. We don't include wi-fi charges in our room rate so that we aren't charging those guests who don't use wi-fi for an unused service. This means we are able to keep our room only rates down making us one of the most competitively priced boutique hotels in Bristol.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing the Berkeley Square Hotel 5 years in a row. Our team looks forward to your stay again next year.

Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

Great location, stayed here for business recently, small single room, but perfectly formed with lovely furniture, mini bar, free fruit, free sherry, however personally in a hotel room I would like proper milk & free bottled water along with nice smellies, but this was different.
The room was hot, very hot, but opened the window and all was well. The bathroom had a shower over bath which was very powerful, so much so the horrid shower curtain stuck to me every 30 seconds...no hotel can call itself boutique with shower curtains these days surely.
The bar in the basement has atmosphere and the square restaurant upstairs served excellent food, even if it was as a bit sparse on the plate. The service was slow, but generally good.
Breakfast selection was excellent, again slow service for tea and my breakfast was different to my order, but beautiful poached eggs non the less, but quick drinks are a must when you need to wait for your food.
The garage was good, pre booked this but with no directions prior to arrival had to park outside, then run into hotel to locate it...now each space is labelled with your details which was a nice touch, but please make the text larger as it was impossible to read unless you get out of your car and locate your space on foot, there was also loads of bird mess in there which wasn't very pleasant. Overall a very nice hotel, with character in a beautiful city, so much nicer than a chain but oom for improvement in a few areas but generally a nice stay.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. Reviews like these are really appreciated and your feedback is very important to us.

I am pleased you enjoyed the fresh fruit and sherry. Just to let you know that we do have a 24 hour reception team that is always happy to bring up a jug of fresh milk to your room. A few of our Executive Single rooms still have shower curtains so we are working on a refurbishment project that includes updating these single rooms with new glass shower screens. Also the garage is to be deep cleaned first thing next week and our parking reservation signs are now in a much larger text.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel.