“Would not recommend!”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Given a room basically on the dance floor, at a wedding. VERY very small room compaired to friends room on the first floor! Did ask to move but aparently fully booked!!
Our room was next to a storage room so lots of comings and goings, also we looked out onto roof tops and what looked like a kitchen exit and general staff smoking area, just what we wanted at 1am!!
No room to swing a cat defiantly come to mind.
Breakfast was nice tho but never worth the money we paid to stay...
Give it a miss if I was you!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of the Berkeley Square Hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you for the stay you had. I would like to let you know what we have done to ensure that this does not happen again.

The December 2012 Christmas party season was a very busy one for our restaurant and bar - more so than we were perhaps expecting. As a result, we experienced some issues with noise problems in our lower deck rooms. In light of the problems we had we have reviewd the way we use these rooms during busy party seasons. I am confident that this coming Christmas season we will not experience the same problems.

We have also started calling all of our guests when we have functions on to ensure they are aware of the function. Room allocations are then checked by the assistant manager and myself to ensure we do have situations like this again.

I have also undertaken a comprehensive room audit of all rooms in the hotel and am carrying out a improvement program as we speak. I would like to offer you a discount a future stay at the Berkeley Square - it is my hope that your would experience be much improved.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 10 February 2013

My wife and I were students in Bristol and return regularly. We had not stayed here before but were impressed by the location and facade. The occassion was a reunion so we thought we would "do" Clifton and then go onto the evening function.
Arrival was straight forward managed to park outside (note parking free after 1800hrs and on Sundays). Check in was fine, we had room 11, which looked out onto the Square. The room was smallish but adequate. The first thing I noticed was a stain on the bedspread- so big deal. Went to use the toilet. Oh dear behind the bathroom door was dirt and dust of longstanding. Dripping down from the extractor fans was an accumulation of dirt and cobwebs like Spanish Moss. The tile grouting had a mixture of mould and orange limescale,where the grout was still present. The shower had been replaced at sometime and the holes in the tiles had been made "good" with very poorly applied sealant in copious amounts. In fact the maintenance man must have been related to Jackson Pollock as there were paint splatters all over the floor and use of sealant was finger art. Never mind , we wents out for a very enjoyable lunch and walk. It was january and cold 2-3C outside. After a few hours we thought we would come back to the room and warm up. When we got in the room was cold , the sign on the wall suggested the heat could be controlled via the thermostat. after 1hour of no heat and still wearing coats I went and asked at reception - Oh the heatings on a timer and does not come on until 6pm (it also goes off at night I think about 11pm). The bar fridge was not turned on so we could not put fesh milk in it for our warming cup of tea. So off for our evening out , everying was good. Arriving back the room was still cold because we had missed the window of heating! Meanwhile because it was Saturday night there was a pulsating disco going on outside reverberating around the square, I think this stopped about 1am. The mattress was coil sprung and had seen better days. Curling at the edges with roll together. Unfortunately one could hear people using the bathroom next door and above. I could even hearing toilet paper being unwound! At 0630am the nextdoor couple got up , as is their right, so no lie in for me. Breakfast was tense, charming servers but top ups of coffee had to be requested as they kept a filter jug some where in the far back. Toast was prompt but we had to wait 40minutes for our Full English. My wife reckonded that they were waiting for Waitrose to open at 10am as they were not busy otherwise. Check out was OK but no one asked about our stay at the time. About 2weeks later someone from the Hotel rang and asked for comments , poor girl. At the end she asked if I would stay again , I said no , she then offered "Evouchers" and I reconsidered. These have not materialised and on reflection I would never stay here again even if it was free. The problems are mostly managerial, the rooms should be clean, the maintenance should be done by someone with training, the rooms should be warm. The plumbing noise and disco would be difficult to change and is probably out of their hands.
This seems like a classic job for The Hotel Inspector. I have already fed back so I don't want any further contact.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel.

This bathroom has now undergone a thorough deep clean and has had extra maintenance work on it. Our level of cleanliness is always at a high standard but I am very disappointed that this room was not checked as thoroughly as usual.

As a grade II listed building the hotel doesn’t have as modern a heating system as some buildings in Bristol so there is a fine balance between the building being too hot and too cold. Therefore we do put our heating on a timer system. Despite this, my reception team is always more than happy to boost the heating as and when a guest needs us to.

We are registered with the AA and also Classic British Hotels, both of which send a mystery guest annually to inspect the hotel. This year we received our highest score yet by Classic British Hotels and we aim to achieve higher next year. I am sorry you had a bad stay with us and I am taking each of your comments into consideration and ensuring they won’t happen again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Me and my partner have recently visited Bristol to see and friend and decided to book a hotel instead of invading his flat and we picked the Berkeley Square hotel due to it's location. Let me start by saying the location is fantastic with the Hippodrome, shops, bars and restaurants all within a short walk (Za Za Bizaar is a great place to have a bite to eat). The staff were extremely helpful and even though we arrived 3 hours early were more then happy for us to leave our bags with them so we could head off and explore Bristol, we had a problem with our rooms hair dryer which they resolved straight away and they even brought me up an iron + ironing board later that evening.

I was supprised with the quality of the rooom considering how liitle we paid, there was plenty of room for myself and my partner, with a fair sized bathroom and all the amenities your could need for a weekend break. As far as the noise is concerned, yes there was a event happening that night and the music was loud from about 18:00 onwards but it was nothing we wasn't expecting as the hotel was kind enough to ring us the day before and offer us a chance to be moved which we declined,.

All in all if I was to return to Bristol again I would definitely be checking the Berkeley Square hotel for availability.

1  Thank Milla_Vanilla86

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and have passed on your comments to the teams involved.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.
Many thanks

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Lovely square, but the executive single is a little monastic. Very small room, a little old-fashioned, not particularly cheap and the other charms of the hotel (some VIP club thing they keep pushing) are a little lost on the single Monday night visitor. Still, right in the heart of Clifton and I am sure the other rooms are much nicer.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Our Executive Single rooms are smaller than our Doubles but this makes them great for business guests just stopping by for one night and not spending much time in the room. They still come with the complimentary sherry and fresh fruit.

I would like to offer you the chance to experience one our Club double rooms with a view of the square so please feel free to contact me on ellie.fisk@cliftonhotels.com and I will make sure you have an excellent stay on a good deal.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on a mini city break away from london. The square itself is very pretty and peaceful. The staff were really friendly and made us feel at home. The breakfast (I had the eggs royale) was a good start to the day. Our room was small but had everything you needed and at a good price, will recommend to our family and friends.

Room Tip: One with a view of the square
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review of the Berkeley Square Hotel. We discuss all reviews in our weekly team meetings and everyone was really pleased with the feedback you provided. As you recommended in your review, we are more than happy to accommodate guests requests re allocation of rooms (where possible!) so if you do have a particular wish, please do contact our friendly reception team to arrange it.

I look forward to seeing you at the Berkeley Square again in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I stayed here for one night on a business trip, and loved the hotel. Staff on check-in were friendly and informative and the room was spacious and well equipped. The little 'extra touches' - fresh fruit, fresh milk and the sherry just added the final finish. For the price and location, it certainly excellent value for money, and I will happily stay here again on all future visits to the area!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jmee

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel - I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you noticed so many of the things that we hope sets us apart from the large chain hotels that dominate Bristol.

All your comments have been passed onto the teams involved here.

I do hope that we will be seeing you again at the Berkeley Square in the near future.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night in January.

Pros:-
- Nice location.
- Beautiful building (on the exterior).
- Very good breakfast.

Cons:-
- Reception staff were uninterested and quite rude. After checking us in they just handed us a room key and left us to it. They didn't even bother to tell us which room/floor we were in/on.

- The lift smelt of rotten eggs (every time we used it).

- Decor of the room was more "Travel Lodge" than "Clifton Hotel". Old, tired and old fashioned bedding.

- We had the "deluxe" room which promised a King Size bed. Instead it was 2 twins pushed together - mind the gap!!

- Bathroom was tiny and not too clean. Very dated.

I can understand now why their web site shows very little in terms of photography as I think it would put people off.

Would not return.