“Exactly what I wanted”

Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Harrow, England, United Kingdom
“Exactly what I wanted”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Travelling solo, this was perfect for my one-night visit, as recommended to me by a friend. Room compact, but had everything needed, including trouser-press, tea & coffee, fruit, and even a complimentary carafe of Bristol Cream sherry - a lovely touch. In bitter weather I particularly appreciated the warmth of the room. Plenty of hot water, an excellent breakfast, and, most important, a friendly, welcoming and helpful attitude from the several members of staff I spoke to. I will certainly be happy to stay again when next in Bristol.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad to read you enjoyed the complimentary fruit and sherry.
The team are delighted to hear you had such a good stay and we look forward to your next visit.
Kind Regards,
Ellie Fisk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
UK
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We chose the Berkeley Square Hotel in Clifton due to its status as Bristol’s first Art Hotel. Being an amateur artist myself, it was interesting to see the range of work in the Square lounge area, although the corridors were quite bare due to an exhibition change over.

This hotel is also in walking distance of Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery which had a fantastic wildlife photography exhibition on during our visit, and the Arnolfini art centre on the harbour-side is a 15 minute walk away.

Overall we had a memorable and unique stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lee_1976
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to read you enjoyed the art in the hotel. Our corridors are being updated this month so we look forward to your next stay where you can enjoy the new art!

London
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Can only echo what others have said. Turned up and was impressed by the outside of the hotel, the location and the nice looking ground floor. Friendly check-in lady told me I had a great executive room.

And then I walked up the peeling staircases to find my room which was called 'Leach'. Exceptionally old fashioned, excessively hot room with dirty walls and a bathroom with bits falling off rails and the kind of shower I last saw in a student hall of residence. A sad little bowl of fruit and a little packet of biscuits crowned the pervading sense of misery. In the morning I woke up and noticed that the other side of the bed cover was covered in stains. Not just little stains but big, wide brown stains as though each day for several years someone had been pouring coffee all over it.

To call this hotel a boutique hotel is nothing short of a disgrace. It is a shell of a hotel (with an attractive bar area) which sadly contains rooms straight out of a dossers hostel or student residence.

Room Tip: If you want a good room you need to stay elsewhere. Seriously.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

All our rooms are named by famous residents of Bristol, past and present. 'Archibald Leach', also known as 'Cary Grant', was born in Bristol and made over 70 films. He remained a regular visitor to Bristol.

We are in the middle of a refurbishment project where showers are being updated gradually. Of course the stains on the blanket are unacceptable and I have spoken to my team about why this wasn’t checked on the day of your arrival. I’m surprised to read you didn’t enjoy the complimentary fresh fruit and biscuits as these are what our guests usually describe as a ‘nice touch’ along with the complimentary sherry.

We are an AA rated hotel and member of Classic British Hotels with mystery guests who score us annually so it is rather surprising to have the Berkeley Square Hotel compared to a student residence.

I am really disappointed to hear your stay wasn’t as good as you had hoped. I would like to hear from you further so if you could contact me on 0117 925 4000 or ellie.fisk@cliftonhotels.com I would really appreciate discussing your issues in detail.

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had a complete deal price wise or so we thought there was a technical error and paid very little for the room, however I am not sure if because of this we placed in the noisiest room purposely!. If you book ask what room they intend to place you in if rm 3 please do not stay, you couldn't pay me to stay again sooo noisy!. After asking reception what time the nightclub closed and were told midnight music is off we thought that should be fine as werent to fussed as just getting in, however it went on until 1.15 then after that all you could hear until 3 am is people going upto the bar and laughing shouting and screaming oh and the constabt high heels from above it was unbearable!. Not only that they have a constant generator going on and off , that was nothing compared to the base from the nightclub you could feel the vibrations through the bed!!. Breakfast was very nice and staff helpful. However this is certainly not a four star establishment I can assure you'd be disappointed rips in carpets cigarette burns to throw, tired, dated interior and most of all the noise!!!.

• Stayed March 2013
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay at the Berkeley Square. We do have events at the Square Club most Saturday evenings and therefore the lower deck rooms can suffer from the noise of the party being held. We always call our guests before hand to warn them. The Berkeley Square Hotel is a grade II listed Georgian building so all the rooms come in different shapes and sizes. Due to this we allocate according to price, which is why room 3 was allocated. Despite this I have under taken a thorough room audit of the room and have started looking into how we can improve room 3 for all future guests.

Kind Regards
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed one night midweek in what was supposed to be one of best rooms.Turned out to be very cramped attic room.Could hear every word of conversation of people in next room & in corridor.When asked if possible to move to another room,informed that had been made ready specially for us & would be reported as problem to maintenance following morning.Room also unbearably hot[thermostat on lowest setting & unable to adjust radiator].Dreadful nights sleep as a result of both of above.Room payment requested on arrival & paid for by American Express but following morning when settling remainder of bill told they don't 'take' American Express'.Could be such fantastic hotel-great location ,excellent food,parking available,staff friendly[unfortunately inconsistent], but even the nice little touches in the room just miss the mark-[not]home made biscuits.1 large tumbler to share sherry.
First time at this hotel in Bristol, very disappointed,will look for alternative on next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the problems during your stay but I am please to read you enjoyed the location, food and parking. I can confirm that the broken thermostat in room 38 has now been fixed by our maintenance team. The room type you stayed in was a Club King room and was one of the smaller rooms of this type, although it benefits from an amazing view over the square and of Will’s Memorial Building. Unfortunately our trainee took your initial payment, who momentarily forgot that we don’t accept American Express as a payment method. I would like to offer you a discount on a future stay due to the issues you incurred and would like to personally ensure you have an excellent stay next time, so please feel free to call me at the hotel on 0117 925 4000.

Kind Regards
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 21 February 2013

The plus points of this hotel: very helpful reception staff, pleasant room overlooking square, good breakfast, very good location, garage parking in centre of Bristol at £7 a night.
Minus points: my first room had a fridge that didn't open, and a major light that didn't work because no one had reported that the switch had snapped off. The reception staff gave me another room and were friendly and helpful about it. All fine till Saturday night, when the noise from the nightclub in the basement was awful The staff were very apologetic but said they couldn't do anything about it; management didn't say anything! Don't stay there on a Saturday night!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley after your recent stay with us - I am very sorry to hear that it was not the relaxing stay that you would have hoped for.

I have held a meeting with my House Manager to discuss some of the issues that you raised. We do check the rooms daily for any maintenance issues but it is clear to me that, in this instance, these checks were not performed as thoroughly as they might have been. I have, therefore, retrained my team on how to carry out such checks and am confident that this issue will not happen again.

I am also sorry that the problem with your first room resulted in a room move and the subsequent noise issues from the bar on Saturday night. The Berkeley Square does have functions in the popular Square bar on Saturday night and we do try to allocate rooms further away from that area so as to reduce the possible disturbance to our guests. I have spoken to the team about the knock on effect the inital problems you had caused and have made it clear that such lapses should not happen again.

I am, however, delighted that you were happy with the staff, breakfast and great location of the hotel - these are all things we are proud of so it is satisfying to get this feedback.

I am confident that, should you return to us when next in Bristol, you would not experience the same problems and a such would like to offer you an upgrade into one of our nicer doubles by way of compensation. Please contact ellie.fisk@cliftonhotels.com directly to take me up on this offer.

Warm regards
Elle Fisk
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed for one night midweek in a King club room on the top floor, supposedly the best room. We had a great view and the bed was massive as promised (although it was two singles pushed together) but with scratchy blankets instead of a duvet or quality blanket.
There was a cafetiere and fresh coffee and tea, a nice touch, but the cafetiere didn't work very well and there is no longer fresh milk provided in the rooms, but reception were happy to give us some to take up.
The room was clean and plenty of hot water and heating worked perfectly. We had a great cocktail in the bar and all the staff were very friendly. The lounge, restaurant and bar are very well done, giving the hotel a quirky and individual feel, if only this had continued upstairs to carry on the 'boutique hotel' image.
The hotel is in a good location, near lots of attractions, restaurants etc..
Overall we enjoyed our stay, would stay again, but the hotel had a disjointed feel.

Room Tip: Number 37 on the top floor (no noise disturbance from the bar and great view)
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and feedback on the Berkeley Square Hotel. We are in the middle of a refurbishment project where all the Club King rooms will be updated with brand new blankets and bespoke bedspreads. The king beds are zip and link beds but I have taken your comments to the supplier to see how we can improve the comfort. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel on 0117 925 400 and I will make sure you are given one of our Club rooms with the newly refurbishment items for your next visit.

Many Thanks