“Great location”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
London
“Great location”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was visiting the university for a few days, and the Berkeley Square hotel is a perfect location just 5 minutes from where I wanted to be. For the price, this is a really nice hotel with good facilities. The price-tag is of a budget hotel, but the style and location are much better than you'd normally get. Sure the rooms are small and the decor in the rooms is fairly basic. But the lounge and restaurant are stylish, and the staff are all extremely efficient and helpful (and also most of them are totally gorgeous). Breakfast was very good (and good value). Hotel was fairly quiet, though you can hear some sounds from adjacent rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank hg67as
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear "hg67as",

Thank you for your review on the Berkeley Square Hotel! It is great to hear your comments and I have passed them on to my team.

Thanks again for taking the time to feedback and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards
Ellie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Loughborough
Reviewed 5 June 2013

6 of us met in Bristol and stayed one night at the Berkeley Square Hotel. It is ideally situated in the centre of Bristol but on a quiet square. Has garage parking available at a reasonable rate. Attentive staff and excellent food. Would highly recommend for value and comfort

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Ruth W
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am so glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I shall pass your comments on to my team.

Many Thanks

Ellie Fisk
Hotel Manager
Arbroath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent a long week-end (3 nights) staying at the hotel and attending a wedding. The wedding was a great party, the wedding meal very good (a spit roasted pig!) and the staff friendly and helpful.
Our stay was a bit of a curates egg. The room was in the basement beside the bar and inevitably noisy at times; but we knew that when we booked it. The Berkeley Square positions itself as small boutique hotel but there were 3 things which let it down :
1. The fridge in our room was broken when we arrived and remained so through our stay in spite of reporting it on the evening when we arrived.
2. Internet access is charged as an extra.
3. There were 3 weddings on at the hotel and on the day we ere checking out, the reception was very busy. The manager took our luggage into his office as our taxi was coming at 2pm and we vacated our room at 11am. We went off for lunch returning to settled the bill and collect our luggage. I was asked to pay a late checkout surcharge.
These small things marred a very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Douglas B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Berkeley Square Hotel. We have now introduced wifi as complimentary to our hotel guests.
I apologise for the accidental late check out charge, I assume this wasn’t actually charged to your card once you informed reception that you had vacated the room at 11am. If this isn’t the case please contact me at the hotel so I can issue a refund.
Thanks again for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel.
Ellie Fisk
Hotel Manager
southampton
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding recently, was a little dubious on other reviews, but had a lovely room, good size overlooking the square (room 9). Was here for a wedding, which went on in the bar downstairs, which was very nice :)
One note, if I wasn't attending the wedding think it may have been quite noisy, especially as the garden closed early so we were outside the front chatting loudly ! That didn't seem a good idea for other guests.
Also no milk or sugar in the room , little touches but shame as didn't have the first cuppa on arrival !
But friendly staff, clean, and amazing wedding!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Digsp
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to read that the sugar and milk was missed from your room, I have brought this up with my house manager. Our 24 hour reception are always on hand in the rare case of anything missing.
The area outside the bar in the front of the hotel is only open occassionally as a smoking area so when people do go outside it is only for 5 minutes at a time. We also courtesy call all our guests to see if they specifically need a quiet room when an event is on so that we can allocate them a room on the higher floors.

Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel.
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I have recently been to the square for a wedding and had a lovely day/evening. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the food was delicious and the venue was perfect for the occasion. Had a fantastic day. Highly recommend Berkeley Square Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Kathanners19
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I have passed this on to my team and also the wedding coordinator.

Kind Regards

Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel (last time, 18 months ago, based on Tripadvisor reviews), and there is no change (thankfully). It is still excellent in terms of the rooms, meals, service, and I hope they don't change anything. If I was to make any criticism, then it would be that the breakfast lounge is a tad warm. It is perfect for visitors to the university.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank iljumittajjeb
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad you enjoy your stays at the Berkeley Square Hotel. Please don't hesitate to ask reception to allocate a room you particularly favour. I shall pass your comments on to the breakfast team.

Many Thanks

Lot-et-Garonne, France
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The desk staff here do their best but the rest of the place is a shambles. I was incredibly surprised to be charged for wifi. I stay in hotels every week and have almost never been charged for wifi. Wifi is almost a basic human right in 2013!

I started in room 22, which was just about okay but with almost no paint on the window frames, a tiny bathroom and no valance on the stained bed base. The furniture was cheap, tacky and out of sync with the rest of the hotel, which i think from the website, aims to be stylish. However, the wifi wouldn't work. I was eventually told that this is because the building is listed! So is my house but I bothered to buy a booster - it's really very easy! Eventually, I was moved to room 3 in the basement. The wifi worked but the room was revolting. It stank. The bed appalling. The bedspread filthy. The carpet in tatters.

Dinner in the restaurant was fine but this place is an overpriced shambles. It's run by part-time students and feels like a hostel.

Please don't waste your money on staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank francophileonthemove
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Dear Guest,

I am surprised to read how much you disliked your stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel, although your comments have highlighted some reception problems that I have discussed with them as the building being listed is not the reason behind the wifi being down in your room. The wifi strength has never been a problem before so our IT team are currently working hard to fix this problem.

After speaking to you personally on check out and giving you quite a large discount I went to do an inspection in room 3 and although I do feel this room needs some attention I didn't notice a smell, the bed is a new bed and the bedspread was clean. The carpet is a little worn by the door and this is our first carpet to replace in the current refurbishment project.

There is wifi in the lounge next to reception so you could have stayed in your first room and enjoyed the new Vi-Spring bed, complimentary sherry and monsoon rain shower and worked in the lounge. I believe this was on option offered to you by the reception team.

The management team at the Berkeley Square Hotel has been in place for well over a year now and I can assure you being a full time hotel manager leaves little time to be studying!

Regards,
Ellie

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels