“I really have had better”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Now I try to give an honest review of wherever I stay these days. If it is good, then I will say, if it is bad, I will also say. I'll also tell the people running the place as to how my stay went...

..This time it didn't happen as I did not have enough time to stay and chat as I had to leave for the train.

I was first surprised to see how central the location was and how boutique the hotel was. I found the bar area very nice and the charm of the place kind of overwhelmed me a bit as I was not expecting something like this.

I was parked up on the top floor with a view of bricks out of the window. The room was no bigger than my downstairs toilet but after all I wasn't here to throw a big party I just needed somewhere comfortable, warm and with a good choice of breakfast in the morning.

The carpet in the whole room was down to the thread specially at the entrance to the room. Walking into the room to plonk my bag down on what little floor space I had I ventured to the bathroom. In the bathroom was a bottle of 'foaming bathroom cleaner', I'm not sure if this was a sign to clean the bathroom myself as it had clearly not been anywhere near the shower head as it was full of grime. Honestly a simple scale on a yearly basis of the shower will keep it pristine and avoid reviews like this.

On the plus side the tea making facilities there were nice and adequate but the brandy left on the table in the glass bottle was a nice twist but looked a bit like vinegar and I was looking around for the salt to put on my chips. Is the brandy (was it even brandy) fresh for every hotel guest? Are hotel guests meant to drink it? What has been done to it before fromt he previous guest? So many questions for something of absolutely no value to a guest whatsoever. A bottle of Ale or a fresh bottle of water would be more satisfying.

The evening went and morning came and I wake up to what was the worst nights sleep ever. The blanket was some sort of wool which resembled what Jesus was wrapped up in in Jerusalem when he was born. The mattress springs have seen better days and I thought I would be accused of thieving as most of them were still stuck in my back when I left the hotel. The best part of the bed though was the mystery door hidden underneath the mattress propping the bed base up. Now I am a keen explorer and I love finding hidden things but I was reluctant to open the door underneath the mattress incase some monsters came out like in 'Trapdoor'. If I had have found it the night before I would have opened it and possibly found a secret passageway leading to the bar with loads of naked girls.

Giving it's due breakfast was 'nice' bit better than 'OK' but not as good as 'good'.

In summary the hotel tries to be something it is not because the botique frontage when you enter which surprises you really is nothing compared to the surprises behind the bedroom door.

Would I stay here again? It short: No. It's really going to take some convincing to get me to part with my money when I stay in Bristol again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Godscrasher
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear "Godscrasher",

I am very sorry to read your comments about your stay with us at The Berkeley. We are constantly refurbishing our rooms, and so perhaps this room needs to be a priority when making our refurbishing plans. Along with this, many of our rooms have Vi Spring mattresses which are very comfortable and renowned for the excellent quality. I also apologise for what you found when arriving to your room - this has not been heard of before, and so I have bought it up with our housekeeping team to ensure this does not happen again.

In regards to the "brandy", each guest is welcomed by a complimentary tray of fresh tea, coffee, fruit and Sherry in the room. Many guests enjoy this package and so it is sad to hear you did not.

Many guests comment on the boutique charm The Berkeley has, and appreciate the atmosphere here. I would therefore like to offer you a discount on your next stay, if you do decide to stay again, in the hope of showing you a better visit. Please contact me on 0117 9734000 if you are interested.

Many thanks.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Just two nights in this little Boutique, and they were on quiet Monday and Tuesday, which meant not many in the bar or restaurant.
I found the place very comfortable, well appointed and the whole team of the staff were really kind, polite and helpful. Its been some time since I had a single room, and this was just fine.
The 'solitude' of the bar and restaurant gave me the opportunity to meet and mix with the team, so my special thanks must go to Gavin (fantastic food), Josh and Frank for putting up with me.
I aim to be back in a couple of weeks.

Room Tip: Find out if there are functions (weddings) and stay away from the back rooms?
2  Thank Roger P

Dear "Roger P",

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it is much appreciated. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the reception team to be helpful, we pride ourselves on our service. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your time spent in The Square, I agree with you, they serve fantastic food!

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was on a 3 day course next door, so a two night stay was required and this was the closest hotel. Whilst I chose it for convenience it proved to be a very good choice. Staff were very friendly and professional. Even though I arrived too early for check in they took my bag and placed it in my room ready for when I did check in later on.
I included breakfast on my booking and arrived each morning to be greeted by the friendly and may I say probably the most prettiest waitress I've seen. Bonus! The full english was offered with a choice of how you wanted your eggs, scrambled, poached or fired. Toast was offered in white or brown form. Small details but nice to have options. The dining area was clean and the service efficient and charming. The dinner menu looked very nice but I had alternative arrangements so i didnt get to try it.
The bar area is very bohemian and typical of a boutique hotel. Sadly it was empty when I was there despite near full occupation of the hotel.
My room was very clean and the mini bar was stocked and the usual gratuities supplied.
If there is a criticism I'd say it was the outside area. My room overlooked this and it looked very tired from up there with a dirty umbrella over the table and crockery left out there for over a day.
Overall though a pleasant stay with attentive, polite staff and a relaxed atmosphere. I have no hesitation in recommending the Berkeley Square Hotel.

2  Thank David J
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was visiting the university for a few days, and the Berkeley Square hotel is a perfect location just 5 minutes from where I wanted to be. For the price, this is a really nice hotel with good facilities. The price-tag is of a budget hotel, but the style and location are much better than you'd normally get. Sure the rooms are small and the decor in the rooms is fairly basic. But the lounge and restaurant are stylish, and the staff are all extremely efficient and helpful (and also most of them are totally gorgeous). Breakfast was very good (and good value). Hotel was fairly quiet, though you can hear some sounds from adjacent rooms.

2  Thank hg67as
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear "hg67as",

Thank you for your review on the Berkeley Square Hotel! It is great to hear your comments and I have passed them on to my team.

Thanks again for taking the time to feedback and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards
Ellie

Reviewed 5 June 2013

6 of us met in Bristol and stayed one night at the Berkeley Square Hotel. It is ideally situated in the centre of Bristol but on a quiet square. Has garage parking available at a reasonable rate. Attentive staff and excellent food. Would highly recommend for value and comfort

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Ruth W
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review on the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am so glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I shall pass your comments on to my team.

Many Thanks

Ellie Fisk
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Spent a long week-end (3 nights) staying at the hotel and attending a wedding. The wedding was a great party, the wedding meal very good (a spit roasted pig!) and the staff friendly and helpful.
Our stay was a bit of a curates egg. The room was in the basement beside the bar and inevitably noisy at times; but we knew that when we booked it. The Berkeley Square positions itself as small boutique hotel but there were 3 things which let it down :
1. The fridge in our room was broken when we arrived and remained so through our stay in spite of reporting it on the evening when we arrived.
2. Internet access is charged as an extra.
3. There were 3 weddings on at the hotel and on the day we ere checking out, the reception was very busy. The manager took our luggage into his office as our taxi was coming at 2pm and we vacated our room at 11am. We went off for lunch returning to settled the bill and collect our luggage. I was asked to pay a late checkout surcharge.
These small things marred a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Douglas B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Berkeley Square Hotel. We have now introduced wifi as complimentary to our hotel guests.
I apologise for the accidental late check out charge, I assume this wasn’t actually charged to your card once you informed reception that you had vacated the room at 11am. If this isn’t the case please contact me at the hotel so I can issue a refund.
Thanks again for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel.
Ellie Fisk
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding recently, was a little dubious on other reviews, but had a lovely room, good size overlooking the square (room 9). Was here for a wedding, which went on in the bar downstairs, which was very nice :)
One note, if I wasn't attending the wedding think it may have been quite noisy, especially as the garden closed early so we were outside the front chatting loudly ! That didn't seem a good idea for other guests.
Also no milk or sugar in the room , little touches but shame as didn't have the first cuppa on arrival !
But friendly staff, clean, and amazing wedding!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Digsp
Ellie F, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at The Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to read that the sugar and milk was missed from your room, I have brought this up with my house manager. Our 24 hour reception are always on hand in the rare case of anything missing.
The area outside the bar in the front of the hotel is only open occassionally as a smoking area so when people do go outside it is only for 5 minutes at a time. We also courtesy call all our guests to see if they specifically need a quiet room when an event is on so that we can allocate them a room on the higher floors.

Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel.