“Must improve.”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here three times. First two times, fine. Decent room, good night's sleep. Night before last, in the dreaded Room Five, oh my goodness it was poor.

1) arrived at 10.20pm but bar was already closed.

2) only one bottle of water available to me in the whole hotel.

3) no room service.

4) minibar in my room was not refrigerated - all drinks were warm.

5) minibar made hellish noise all night.

6) view from my room was like a bomb site (see picture).

7) in the morning, had to stand by and watch while receptionist made herself a coffee from the coffee machine - before my long wait for a coffee from the same machine began.

At least the breakfast was tasty - when it finally arrived.

I work in London, and regularly visit my offshoot company in Bristol: I'll stay here again, maybe one more time, but unless they get their act together, our relationship will be at an end.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank TrippoDicko
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not find your most recent stay with us as comfortable as previous stays. Unfortunately we do not have a 24hr room service menu, this is something we are looking into at the moment. I will certainly be looking at the minibar in room 5, for future stays please do let reception know if you have such an issue so they can address it as soon as possible. I’m sorry you had a wait for your breakfast in the morning, I will pass this on to the breakfast waiting staff, however it is good to hear you did enjoy the food! I hope you do choose to stay with us again, if there is a room that you have stayed in before which you particularly liked, please let us know and we can be sure to allocate it to you for future stays.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

A much more interesting and good value place to stay than the standard corporate hotels if you want central Bristol accommodation. Rooms are small. Lounge and club bar remind me of 60's / early 70's Chelsea - hints of 18 Century furnishings that look much better under faded lights, rather uncomfortable but overall cool as a concept for entertaining times. Didn't eat here, but several good restaurants in close proximity. Undercover secure parking available.

Room Tip: Book parking in advance. They have indoor secure parking and will reserve a private place for the du...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, guest feedback is always appreciated. We are part of a small independent group in Bristol and we do aim to provide a different experience to that of corporate chain hotels so I am glad that you felt this was the case. We are in a great location for those looking to be in central Bristol and do find a lot of guests find having an off-street car park very useful.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

I attended a wedding here and thought the whole atmosphere of the lounge area upstairs was very nice. I loved all the bright vellore settee's and chairs. The room where we had our meal was set out beautifully. Two thing's for me that let the hotel down was 1. The rooms (I managed to get a look and they are not boutique at all and 2. The food. I was really looking forward to trying something a little different from the norm. For my starter I had langoustine ravioli which, I'm not sure was supposed to be either warm or cold s the outside was only slightly warm and the middle was stone cold and didn't taste of anything. I did actually swop my starter with somebody else which was foie gars as she wasn't impressed with her either. This was also very tasteless and the texture was like yogurt. The food overall took absolutley ages to come out so by the time my pudding came I was that drunk from drinking the free flowing I can't remember what it was!!!!!

However, I can remember going downstairs to the disco and party which the room again was lovely with bright crushed velvet furniture! a good time was had by all!!,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Amy R, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Mitzimoo100,

Thanks you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the overall experience of the wedding. I will be sure to pass on the comments about the food to the head chef of The Square restaurant as we usually have such positive feedback about the food! We aim to provide a comfortable and well equipped room for all our guests and I’m glad you enjoyed the atmosphere of the communal areas.

Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great venue for a wedding really good and boutique ish!!!!!!!! But that is as far as it goes. The rooms are no way near as good as the front of house suggests, and that is a real shame.
We stayed here for a wedding, venue great, atmosphere great that is where this ends as i feel the bar is exspensive and the food we had was not up to standard. But that is only my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, customer feedback is always appreciated. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy all the aspects of your stay with us. It’s good to hear you found the reception and lounge areas pleasant, we have changing art exhibitions so there are always interesting and individual pieces to see. We aim to make the rooms as comfortable as possible and even though the rooms do not have quite the same feel as the communal areas, each room has a unique piece of art that was commission for the hotel by a local artist.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Room was small but its clean, comfortable and a great location for our visit to the grammar school. We overlooked the square. The street was quiet. Secure parking close to the hotel and a good breakfast. Check in was straightforward, booked it a week before and there was availability. Lots of good restaurants nearby although the hotel restaurant looked good and was popular. We did have the package with breakfast which had lots of choice and was of a high quality. We had selected a small room there were bigger ones available but we were not planning on spending time in the room other than to sleep. There is no air con in the room but we didn't need it as the windows open. If it had been warmer there is a fan but little else.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear GillPerry,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, customer feedback is always appreciated. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, we are fortunate to be in a great location and the car park is always useful when staying in the city centre. It’s nice to hear you found your room clean and comfortable, we do have some smaller rooms for those who are not planning to be in their room much and some of those even benefit from the lovely views over the square.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Beautiful location opposite a lovely grass square. Simply the best customer service I have ever received in Bristol! As a frequent business traveler i usually stay in 4 or 5 star hotels.However i am currently between flats so had an extended stay of 11 days I had to pick a budget option. I really feel that this hotel is outstanding value for money.. i have stayed in an executive single room which is small but perfectly formed and well equipped even had a DVD player and stereo. The secure garage parking at £7 per night is a total bonus.
But most of all it is the staff who have made my stay so great. Everyone I have encountered from reception, bar housekeeping etc have been truly fabulous, so kind and accommodating. it is such a rare thing these days when ones expectations are exceeded. Well done to all at The Berkeley Square- keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Go for second floor or higher facing the beautiful square
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Sue G,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. It was lovely to read your review, we do pride ourselves on excellent customer service so I’m glad you found this to be the case. Our single rooms are perfect for those looking for just enough space for one, but still providing comfort and all the amenities you could need.

Kind regards,
Amy Robinson

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Good hotel in the centre of Bristol. Ideal for seeing the area and for socialising in the city.
Good quality breakfast and great service. Fresh coffee and fruit in the room was a nice touch as was a small decanter of Bristol sherry.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike826

Dear Mike826,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. Really glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We always aim to provide a comfortable stay and excellent customer service so it’s good to hear this was the case. I’m also pleased that you enjoyed the fruit and sherry in your room!

Kind regards,