“Never again, cold & tiny room” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
West Midlands
“Never again, cold & tiny room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just checked out thankfully from this hotel - one nights stay. My Executive single room was tiny, walls paper thin. The bed was made up with sheets, blanket and bed spread (Yuk)! When I went to my room there was no heating on and it was cold, I rang reception - no answer. I went to reception to explain my room was cold and the heating does not switch on, I was asked if I would like another blanket?! I was then given the key to change to another room, which was hardly any better and the TV didn't work. I stayed in the original room!! Horrible - for £70 I feel I have been ripped off. Don't be fooled by the 'boutique' style ground floor reception rooms - the bedrooms from what I have just experienced do not match up.

Room Tip: The single rooms really are single!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SarahWestMidlands
Amy R, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear SarahWestMidlands,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our single rooms are not overly spacious, but rather cosy and aimed at the solo traveller who is happy with a smaller space. I apologise for the fact the heating was not working in your room, this issue has now been addressed. I’m glad you found the communal areas to have the boutique style that we aim for. You are correct that the rooms are slightly different in style, although we do aim to add little extra touches such as the complimentary fresh fruit and sherry. Our rooms are designed to be clean and comfortable, therefore have a more modern look to them.

Kind regards,
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Check in was quick and efficient, all the reception staff were helpful and polite through out the stay. Room was spacious see photo and bed linen and towels all spotless and fresh. Bathroom and room very clean with a lovely selection of fresh fruit, fresh coffee and sherry. Shower was large and nice and powerful. Double glazed windows so even in a busy city got a very peaceful nights sleep. Room was at the front of the hotel so lovely view overlooking the gardens in the square. The one down side was the parking outside the hotel is only for two hours at a time during the day although from six pm till eight am ...beware the parking attendants they were round at exactly eight o clock in the morning and issued tickets to most of the cars despite the fact that I had paid via the phone service!! Great location close to the main centre.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel seem to offer the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Amy R, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Lianne186,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are in an excellent location for those looking to be in the heart of the city and we also have the bonus of our front facing rooms overlooking the lovely Berkeley Square garden. Parking in the centre of Bristol can be difficult. Fortunately we do have a private car park for guest use charged at £7 per night as an alternative to the metered parking on the Square. That way you do not have to worry about setting your alarm to avoid the 8 o’clock traffic warden!

Many thanks
Cotswold
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed here after being booked in by work. I wouldn't have picked it myself due to a few things. First didn't take American express, and was given a single room. I also wasn't offered assistance with my bags but don't think they have the staff !! I was booked into what can only be described as a cupboard. My son has just started uni and even his room is bigger than this. Honestly even though not slept in one for twenty years i didnt mind a single bed if the room had been a touch bigger as felt totally claustrophobic! The bathroom was small and old. Few nice touches though with fresh coffee and fruit in the room and breakfast was delicious. Free parking always a bonus in clifton and excellent location for great bars etc.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Amy R, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, all guest feedback is appreciated. I’m sorry to hear you did not find the room suitable for your needs. Our single rooms are not overly spacious, but rather cosy and aimed at the solo traveller who is happy with a smaller space. We are running a rolling refurbishment throughout the hotel and are going to be paying extra attention to our single room bathrooms so hopefully this will address any of the issues you highlighted regarding this point. I am glad that you enjoyed the extra touches in your room, we do regularly get positive feedback about the fresh coffee and fruit. It’s also great to hear you enjoyed your breakfast – I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the breakfast team. I hope you would consider staying with us again, perhaps you would find one of our double rooms more comfortable, offering you that extra space as well as the great location.

Many Thanks
Altofts, West Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Before our stay, we had prebooked a parking space but was told on the morning of travel that we had not and that there were no spaces available for our stay. Our stay began with a male receptionist with a very bad attitude. No offer to help with bags (of which we had several), not even to hold open the door.Twice we asked that the same male receptionist come to inspect the fridge in our room as I have to keep medication refrigerated. Both times he responed by saying he would come when he had time. I told him we had not unpacked as I had, on booking requested a fridge and it was essential that it was working. If the fridge in our room was not working, I needed another room. Half an hour later I got aphone call to say I could use the fridge downstairs. No-one made an attempt to come up to look at the fridge in our room.

In reagrd to our room, there were many nice touches - a good selection of teas, coffees and herbal teas, fresh fruit and sherry. However, the room had worn paintwork, dirt at the back of the toliet and a disgustingly dirty seal along the bottom of the shower screen. The bed was large but far too large for the room with very little space to manoevre either side of the bed - literally a few inches. It was impossible to pull out the chair that was at the desk at the side of the bed.

Evening meal was excellent, could not be faulted for choice or quality. However, the gluten free bread that I ordered the previous week was not available. The waiter (who was lovely) did say that he would leave a note for someone to pop out and get gluten free bread next day. Breakfast was another matter. The waitress was rude saying that I had not ordered gluten free bread either the week nor the night before. I was refused my request for two soft bolied eggs saying that the chef was too busy.

We had booked in for four nights but left after one and found a far more luxurious hotel with very accomodating staff for a lot less cost.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Amy R, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, guest feedback is always very much appreciated. I would firstly like to say how sorry I am about the customer service you received when checking into the hotel. We usually receive excellent feedback about our staff members who are always encouraged to go the extra mile to help guests. I am very disappointed that this was not the case and will be speaking to my reception team to ensure this does not happen again.

I’m glad to hear you enjoyed some of the extra touches in the room and also your evening meal. I will pass on your comments to the kitchen who will be delighted to hear your positive feedback. With regards to your request for gluten free bread, I apologise that this was not provided for you, it seems I may need to reiterate to my team the importance of passing on important guest requests.

I will certainly pass on your comments about breakfast to the breakfast manager so they are able to address their team about the issues you had. It would be nice if in the future they are able to be more flexible with any non-menu requests.

Once again, I would just like to say thank you for the feedback, if you would like to discuss your stay further with me please do not hesitate to get in touch on 0117925400.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here three times. First two times, fine. Decent room, good night's sleep. Night before last, in the dreaded Room Five, oh my goodness it was poor.

1) arrived at 10.20pm but bar was already closed.

2) only one bottle of water available to me in the whole hotel.

3) no room service.

4) minibar in my room was not refrigerated - all drinks were warm.

5) minibar made hellish noise all night.

6) view from my room was like a bomb site (see picture).

7) in the morning, had to stand by and watch while receptionist made herself a coffee from the coffee machine - before my long wait for a coffee from the same machine began.

At least the breakfast was tasty - when it finally arrived.

I work in London, and regularly visit my offshoot company in Bristol: I'll stay here again, maybe one more time, but unless they get their act together, our relationship will be at an end.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank TrippoDicko
Amy R, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not find your most recent stay with us as comfortable as previous stays. Unfortunately we do not have a 24hr room service menu, this is something we are looking into at the moment. I will certainly be looking at the minibar in room 5, for future stays please do let reception know if you have such an issue so they can address it as soon as possible. I’m sorry you had a wait for your breakfast in the morning, I will pass this on to the breakfast waiting staff, however it is good to hear you did enjoy the food! I hope you do choose to stay with us again, if there is a room that you have stayed in before which you particularly liked, please let us know and we can be sure to allocate it to you for future stays.
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

A much more interesting and good value place to stay than the standard corporate hotels if you want central Bristol accommodation. Rooms are small. Lounge and club bar remind me of 60's / early 70's Chelsea - hints of 18 Century furnishings that look much better under faded lights, rather uncomfortable but overall cool as a concept for entertaining times. Didn't eat here, but several good restaurants in close proximity. Undercover secure parking available.

Room Tip: Book parking in advance. They have indoor secure parking and will reserve a private place for the du...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, guest feedback is always appreciated. We are part of a small independent group in Bristol and we do aim to provide a different experience to that of corporate chain hotels so I am glad that you felt this was the case. We are in a great location for those looking to be in central Bristol and do find a lot of guests find having an off-street car park very useful.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

I attended a wedding here and thought the whole atmosphere of the lounge area upstairs was very nice. I loved all the bright vellore settee's and chairs. The room where we had our meal was set out beautifully. Two thing's for me that let the hotel down was 1. The rooms (I managed to get a look and they are not boutique at all and 2. The food. I was really looking forward to trying something a little different from the norm. For my starter I had langoustine ravioli which, I'm not sure was supposed to be either warm or cold s the outside was only slightly warm and the middle was stone cold and didn't taste of anything. I did actually swop my starter with somebody else which was foie gars as she wasn't impressed with her either. This was also very tasteless and the texture was like yogurt. The food overall took absolutley ages to come out so by the time my pudding came I was that drunk from drinking the free flowing I can't remember what it was!!!!!

However, I can remember going downstairs to the disco and party which the room again was lovely with bright crushed velvet furniture! a good time was had by all!!,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Amy R, Manager at Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Mitzimoo100,

Thanks you for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the overall experience of the wedding. I will be sure to pass on the comments about the food to the head chef of The Square restaurant as we usually have such positive feedback about the food! We aim to provide a comfortable and well equipped room for all our guests and I’m glad you enjoyed the atmosphere of the communal areas.