The Berkeley Square Hotel
US$153
US$119
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$97
US$93
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Ibis Bristol Centre(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$73
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscomplimentary sherrybristol creambowl of fruitquiet squarebasement barsecure garageground coffeeloose leaf tealittle touchesdvd playerclifton areaexcellent breakfasthotel is in a great locationone night stayvisiting bristoluniversitydecanter
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Berkeley Square is obviously a very plush area of Clifton and if it's Clifton you want to stay in there isn't much choice of hotel. On the outside the Berkeley is a lovely property. Inside it looks a little dated and a little ikea.

Saying that, the staff are friendly and helpful and the cooked to order breakfast is nice.

We did have a Xmas party downstairs but were gone by 11 and it's a comfortable nights sleep.

The music in the room and sherry is a nice touch although the rooms can do with a little updating.

It's the area you are paying for essentially

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Mr_Livers,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so delighted to hear that our hotel was in a great location for you. Berkeley Square is perfect if you want to be close to both Clifton and the city centre. I am also very pleased that you found the staff to be both friendly and efficient, I will ensure to pass this on to the team.

Berkeley Square is a very beautiful periodic hotel, I am sorry however to hear that you found your room to not live up to expectations. As a boutique hotel with art displays in the corridors and lounge area, we do look to continue this within the rooms with unique art and aim to continually improve the look of our rooms whilst making sure you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary sherry whilst staying with us and once again appreciate your feedback.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss any of the comments made further or if you would like to book to stay at the Berkeley in the furture.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Have stayed at the Berkeley many times over the past three years and eaten at the Square restaurant and have always been impressed by overall standard of accommodation, food and service. However, on this last occasion I discovered after checking out that a charge of £7 for hotel parking had been added to my invoice. As it was a Sunday night and we were leaving early the following day I had parked for free in Berekely Square. On phoning the hotel a few days later they accepted the error but I am still to receive the refund on my credit card. Additionally there was an error on the restaurant bill although I waived this. Several emails chasing the refund remain unanswered: poor service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dalmau9,

Thank you very much for your feedback from your recent stay at the Berkeley Square. I am very pleased to hear that you have always enjoyed staying with us when you are in Clifton as we do have fantastic facilities and are positioned in a great location. I am however disappointed to hear that you encountered some issues with your bill when staying with us and after checking out. Whilst errors do occur, I am sorry that this mistake was not rectified and for a lack of communication from the hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and thank you again for making me aware of areas of service that needs greater improvement. I would also really like to refund you the £7 that you are due so please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel to discuss any of issues further.

I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back to the Berkeley Square and Clifton in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I arrived on Thursday night to be told that my room had been flooded and that I had been transferred to the sister hotel, a five minute walk away. I knew this to be a 2* not 3* hotel, and I also knew that this was more than 5 minutes away, unless one cut through the dark side streets. The receptionist phoned a taxi. I had to wait 25 minutes for this, but no offer was made to make my wait more comfortable (e.g. a glass of water), to pay for the taxi or a discount. Furthermore, I heard no real apology. Yes, they tried to contact me, and yes they found me somewhere clean and safe to stay, but there is a lot of competition and the absolute minimum customer service is simply not good enough.
Despite its extremely good location and the friendliness of the waiting staff in the restaurant of the sister hotel, the Clifton, I don't intend to stay there again, or to recommend it to anyone. I should have returned to the Avon Gorge Hotel, where the staff can never do enough to help.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Anita S

Dear Anita S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square hotel and raising issues that I can only apologise for, but which I will be addressing to improve our service.

I am ever so sorry that you were not given the very best customer service when you arrived and can appreciate that when you are inconvenienced with having to transfer to another hotel, the service should be to an even higher standard. If we ever have a problem with a room in our hotel last minute resulting in having to transfer guests to one of our sister hotels, we do try to do everything we possibly can to upgrade you and accommodate you in a room of very similar standard to the Berkeley Square. We chose the Clifton Hotel as it is situated closed to us and furthermore because, although it is a slightly lower star hotel, many of the rooms at the Clifton have been recently refurbished and are of the same standard as our rooms. I am very pleased however to hear that you received excellent service at the restaurant whilst staying at the Clifton Hotel.

However, I am disappointed to hear that my reception team did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome in the hotel, so I can only apologise that you were not offered a drink nor that your taxi was paid for. I have spoken to the team regarding your experience and how the situation could have been handled much better, ensuring that you were comfortable and made aware of how sorry we are that we could not accommodate you at the Berkeley on this occasion. Any feedback, good or bad, is most welcome as it pinpoints areas that we need to improve on to make sure that our guests receive only the best service.

I really appreciate your feedback and should you wish to discuss any of the issues raised further then please do not hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

room was very comfortable and quiet - complimentary sherry and fruit in room was a lovely surprise. Reception staff were very helpful and informative. having visited bristol a few times recently we found this hotel to be in an ideal location with a short walk to Whiteladies Road and 25 minutes to cabot circus.

enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Peter H,

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review, we really value all feedback and the team will be delighted to hear that you found them to be helpful and informative as we aim to provide a high standard of service.

I’m glad you find our hotel to be in a good location, we are very lucky to be situated in Berkeley Square as it is within such close proximately to both Clifton and the City Centre.

Thank you once again for the positive comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Berkeley Square in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

i thought i posted a review when i stayed here but TA didn't save it.........
Me and my wife were going to stay here in September as a surprise for myself.
We arrived and went to Check in and we were informed there was a wedding and it might be noisy due to celebrations , it was annoying to be told this as it was not mentioned when my wife booked the hotel, We are both understanding people and thought it would be fine.
I read reviews on how good the restaurant was so then mentioned we wanted a table but we were then told the restaurant was closed as well, another thing not mentioned to my wife........ so we added up that we couldn't stay in the hotel and enjoy the facilities and couldn't have a relaxing time in the hotel due to the noise from the wedding....so the point off spending £100+ for somewhere we had to leave to get food and to avoid as we had to be confined to our room was not worth it so we went to the royal Marriott hotel instead.
Like i said we are understanding fair people but it was totally wrong my wife not to be told about the wedding and the restaurant being closed and then wondering where we were going to spend the night also no apology!
Unnecessary hassle which could have been avoided need to improve communication with guests!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear davegorwill,

Thank you very much for your constructive comments, we really appreciate any feedback to be able to improve areas such as communication with guests in order to provide the best customer service that we can. My sincere apologies for your recent experience on check in at the Berkeley Square.

At certain times of the year our boutique lounge and very popular Square restaurant does get privately hired for weddings and events. However we do make sure that we courtesy call all of our guests prior visiting the Berkeley if there is an event on so that we can try our hardest to allocate guests who would prefer quieter rooms at the top of our hotel, ensuring a quiet and enjoyable stay.

I am very disappointed to hear that you were not made aware of this before you arrived. I have already discussed it with my team to improve our communication with guests as we do take this matter very seriously as we want you to have a fantastic stay with us.

On occasions our restaurant is booked for private events. However, my reception team are experts in suggesting amazing restaurants to visit close by to our hotel if unfortunately ours is unavailable on a certain night. We are in a brilliant part of Bristol and the hotel does have great facilities, so I can only apologise for the lack of communication in September and that you were not able to enjoy what our hotel has to offer.

If you would like to discuss this feedback any further then please do not hesitate to get in touch as it is instrumental in helping us to improve our service.

Many thanks again and best wishes,