“Cold room, staff very slow to respond”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My room was very chilly in early Jan, with main radiator off when I entered around 6pm and no clear instructions in the room as to how to boost the heating. It took two phone calls to get an additional heater, which took nearly an hour to arrive. When it did, it blew cold air, even at the high setting so was useless. The bathroom was freezing, with no heater except a towel rail which was switched off on arrival. I worked out how to turn this on though it didn't heat up in time for my shower - so instead of relaxing into my hotel room for the brief time I had to unwind, I was hunched up and tensed against the chill, and so in a bad mood! The glass of sherry didn't compensate I'm afraid. The person on duty said the reason they couldn't help me immediately was because they had to man reception - which presumably means there was only one member of staff on duty? I think having both heaters switched off for a guest's arrival at that time of year suggests a meanness about heating bills, so I couldn't recommend this hotel I'm afraid.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BrianBlessedsBeard
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear BrianBlessedsBeard,

I am sorry to hear that you had a really disappointing stay with us. I can confirm that our maintenance team have fixed the problem with the heating. We have set times for our heating to go on in the hotel, and I believe that there was an issue with the radiator in your room which has now been fixed, so I can only apologise that this made for an uncomfortable hotel stay.

With regards to how your situation was handled I am truly sorry as this isn’t our usual level of customer service. Our receptionists are trained to deal with any issue promptly and efficiently, and since reading your review I held a training session with my team on how to deal with any heating issues specifically to avoid any future issues.

I can only apologise again for any inconvenience caused by the heating problems in your room and appreciate all of the feedback you have given us. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel or email me on louise.parkin@cliftonhotels.com should you wish to discuss any of the comments made in your review of the Berkeley.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2014

A very disappointing and short stay at this hotel. I booked it as the website had said it was voted the best boutique hotel in Bristol. It was not good at all. The room had a stale smell. The bed was covered in an old, snagged bedspread and the bed linen was clean but was an old sheet and pilled blanket. The bathroom had a cracked sink, the grouting was missing between many of the tiles. A very shoddy job had been made of replacing the grouting on the side of the bath and there was dripped paint and grouting on the bathroom floor. The shower over the bath was not clean.

They had decided to close both the restaurant and bar and there was no room service.

After sitting in the room for an hour looking for nearby restaurants on google I decided to book in to another hotel. For £2 more I got a room at the Bristol Hotel which was beautiful - and the restaurant and bar were open.

I hate giving bad reviews and try to find the positives but this was really not good and definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rosie_Beagle
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Rosie_Beagle,

Thank you for taking time to review the Berkeley Square, all feedback is very valuable in ensuring that the standard delivered by the hotel can be continually improved and we take all comments very seriously to make sure that we can rectify any issues. I am ever so sorry to hear, however, that you did not have a good experience at the Berkeley Square Hotel and felt that you had to leave early as a result.

I am disappointed to hear that the room you were allocated did not live up to your expectations and I have discussed all issues with my Housekeeping manager to ensure that these problems were fixed. At the Berkeley we are constantly carrying out refurbishment projects and hope to improve the standard of our boutique rooms, and service, week on week.

With regards to the restaurant and bar facilities being closed on the evening that you were staying, I can only apologise that you were not made aware of this prior to your arrival and for any inconvenience that this caused. My reception team phone everybody prior to check in to let guests know if in the rare case that it is closed, but I am sorry that you were unfortunately not contacted. I have spoken to the team about this issue to ensure better communication in the future. In terms of information about the local area, our receptionists at the Berkeley Square are all very good at offering alternative suggestions which are very close by to the hotel as fortunately we are very well situated in the heart of Clifton and near by to the city centre. I do however understand that sometimes eating in the hotel is more enjoyable, so again I do apologise that we could not provide this.

Once again, thank you very much for all your feedback and please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss any of the issues raised further.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Berkley Square Hotel for four days as part of our Christmas visit to my daughter's family in Bristol. Very friendly, courteous staff; comfortable room and bed. Excellent breakfasts and the carafe of sherry was a nice touch but,why only one glass?The location in Berkley Square was very convenient and uplifting. The nightingale was absent but the lock-up garage was a bonus. I would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear geofffarrell,

Myself and the Berkeley Square staff are delighted to hear that you very much enjoyed your stay our hotel. I am especially pleased to know that you found our team to be friendly and courteous as we aim to deliver the best customer service possible to guests staying at the Berkeley Square.

I would have to agree with you about the location of the hotel, we are so lucky to be well situated in Bristol, very handy to walk to central parts of the city and Clifton Village around the corner.

We very much hope to see you and your family at the Berkeley again soon.
Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This is a hotel with many good points. Nice location in quiet Georgian square close to University and Clifton village. Friendly staff. Room clean and well equipped with mini bar, trouser press, good range of teas, cafetiere, quality biscuit (!), big fluffy towels. Original art on the walls. Good choice of fresh food at breakfast. Slightly bizarre to find small carafe of Bristol Cream sherry in room - a dreadful drink only enjoyed by maiden aunts and not a good idea to leave it in a hot bedroom. Which brings me to the negatives...

In contrast with other reviewers, my room was uncomfortably hot and I couldn't get the radiator to turn off. I was given the room from hell (all hotels have one) when I checked in. It's Room 3 by the way and it's downstairs, the wrong side of swing doors and not so much next to the bar, but virtually IN the bar. To his credit, the nice bloke gave me a quiet room on the third floor. He told me that I would be charged for wifi but if I'd booked direct, it would be free. I don't think that many of us book direct anymore and not many of us are clairvoyant, so it felt like I was being punished for using hotels.com. When I asked why, he said that it was down to the commission that these sites charge. Mmmm. Not really my fault and as it costs nothing to provide a service for everyone, it seems a bit, well, mean.

So almost a great place to stay. Would happily stay again but how about a bottle of fizzy water in place of the sherry?

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Bluemoon52,

Thank you for your recent review of the Berkeley Square Hotel. All feedback really does help us to improve the service we offer to guests and hotel standards.

Firstly, I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed the range of teas and fresh coffee provided in the rooms and found the room to be comfortable and well equipped. I am also glad to hear you liked the artwork throughout the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Bristol Cream Sherry, as a unique hotel we like to provide guests with something different from Bristol, but this perhaps is not to everybody's taste so I will look into other complimentary items for those who do not enjoy Sherry.

I am really pleased to hear that you found the hotel to be in an ideal location, we are so fortunate to be situated on the beautiful Berkeley Square and nearby to Clifton, town and at the top of Park Street. I do apologise that you found the Wifi charge to be an inconvenience and were not made fully aware of this charge before you arrived. Whilst booking online is perhaps more favorable today, we would like to encourage all of our guests to still book directly with us because as an independent company we want to make sure that we give guests the best service possible and over the phone our reception team are able to tell you fully about all of the facilities we offer and further details about the hotel prior to your visit. However, I do value your comment that it perhaps seems punishing if you have booked online. We do not wish to make anyone feel this way and we want to ensure that every guest has a fantastic stay at the Berkeley Square.

Thank you again for all of your comments and for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. Should you wish to discuss any issues raised further then please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel. We would love to see you at the Berkeley when you are next visiting Bristol.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Was there over the weekend. This is a boutique style hotel in a great location in Bristol. Nice touches like a carafe of sherry in the bedroom were let down by having only one glass??? The heating did not work in the bedroom.....but did surprisingly in the bathroom! Staff did not seem overly concerned and did not really offer a solution, though we called down twice.....and remember.....this was a weekend in December! There were a few stains on the counterpane etc.
Luckily for us, as opposed to Sue B's experience, we were on the first floor and though there was a Christmas party on the floor below, we heard nothing.
Would I stay again.....yes i would.....I'd just love them to sort out the little things.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Clydereviews,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel after your recent stay. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary sherry and found the hotel to be well situated in both the heart of Clifton as well as being in the hub of the city. We are so lucky to be so well positioned.

However, I am sorry that you experienced heating problems in your room during your stay with us and that the team did not help you with this. My housekeeping manager and I have subsequently fixed the heating issues, but can only apologise that you did not have a warm room during your visit to the Berkeley Square. We aim to provide the highest level of customer service and I have spoken to the reception team regarding these issues, to make sure that in future heating problems are dealt with quickly and efficiently.

Your response is most welcome and beneficial in helping us to iron out the little problems you encountered whilst staying at the Berkeley Square. We really do hope to see you in the not too distant future when you are next in Clifton.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and I were booked in to stay on a Saturday night in November and we were allocated a room above the function room where a wedding disco was taking place (Room 5).
The music was extremely loud and sleep would have been impossible before it stopped at 1am. I had to leave and sleep elsewhere, as the hotel could not find us alternative accommodation. My husband decided to stay.

We were not advised of the wedding prior to our arrival and despite being advised that guests attending functions are allocated the rooms over the top of the function room, it is obvious that this policy is not followed.

We have been compensated by the hotel, but feel that future guests should be warned.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SUE B
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear SUE B,

I am really disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and had to find alternative accommodation as a result of the loud music.

Over the Christmas period unfortunately our hotel is very busy, as is our very popular Square lounge and bar area which does regularly get hired for weddings and other events. However, our hotel guests are of great priority and making sure that you have a wonderful stay is of the highest importance to us. We do endeavor to contact all guests prior to your arrival to let you know about any events that are taking place within the hotel whilst you are staying and try our very best to allocate guests who would prefer to have a quiet stay at the top of the hotel rather than on the ground or lower floor. I am sorry that you did not have this service on your stay.

I can only apologize that our team did not make you aware of the private party that was happening within the hotel before your stay with us, we really appreciate your honest feedback so that we can work on areas to improve our communication with guests with regards to events happening at the hotel ensuring that you have the very best stay with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel. If you wish to discuss any issues further then please do not hesistate in contacting me directly at the hotel.

Many thanks and best wishes

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Berkeley Square is obviously a very plush area of Clifton and if it's Clifton you want to stay in there isn't much choice of hotel. On the outside the Berkeley is a lovely property. Inside it looks a little dated and a little ikea.

Saying that, the staff are friendly and helpful and the cooked to order breakfast is nice.

We did have a Xmas party downstairs but were gone by 11 and it's a comfortable nights sleep.

The music in the room and sherry is a nice touch although the rooms can do with a little updating.

It's the area you are paying for essentially

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr_Livers,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so delighted to hear that our hotel was in a great location for you. Berkeley Square is perfect if you want to be close to both Clifton and the city centre. I am also very pleased that you found the staff to be both friendly and efficient, I will ensure to pass this on to the team.

Berkeley Square is a very beautiful periodic hotel, I am sorry however to hear that you found your room to not live up to expectations. As a boutique hotel with art displays in the corridors and lounge area, we do look to continue this within the rooms with unique art and aim to continually improve the look of our rooms whilst making sure you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary sherry whilst staying with us and once again appreciate your feedback.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss any of the comments made further or if you would like to book to stay at the Berkeley in the furture.