“Great location and not a bad hotel”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great location and not a bad hotel”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We booked this hotel as a 'mystery' hotel on laterooms and after reading the other reviews on here we were extremely worried about staying at Berkeley Square. When we arrived on the square the hotel car park was immediately visible on the right hand side and the receptionist was surprised when we told her we'd already found it! We were efficiently checked in and we were allocated room 4. The room was downstairs and had no view, this did not bother us as we were out and about in Bristol all day. The room was fairly clean, the curtains could definitely do with a wash and although the mattress was covered with a clean mattress protector, the mattress itself was badly stained and could do with being replaced. Due to the heating being controlled centrally it was either way too hot or too cold in the room. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was great. The hotel is in an excellent location to explore Bristol city centre and we were pleasantly surprised after our initial horror at having to stay here.

Room Tip: Room 4 is right next to the housekeepers cupboard so you can hear them coming and going in the morni...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Kittybear1809,

Thank you for your review. Our team are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our efforts to provide efficient customer service are not going unmissed.

You pointed out the mattress and the curtains in rooms four and we will certainly have a look into replacing the mattress and cleaning the curtains.

I'm glad you loved the location as much as we do. Clifton is certainly a beautiful place to be.

We hope to welcome you back to the Berkeley Square again soon.

Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I've now stayed here six times in the last year. Good location, friendly staff. Reasonable value for money, and nice breakfasts. But why, oh why, oh why, is the mini-bar in every room I have ever stayed in, incapable of refrigeration?

Very poor.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear TrippoDicko,

Thank you for your review. It is especially helpful for us to have the feedback of our regular guests. We have been experiencing some ongoing issues with some of the minibars in our rooms and I can assure you we are doing our best to get these fixed.

We hope to welcome you the Berkeley Square soon and to provide you with a cold minibar.

London
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I travelled to Bristol as a combination of work and catching up with old friends and chose this hotel as it is next to the block I used to live when I lived in Bristol so it brought back positive memories. The location is ideal of course with buses to both the city centre and the train station which mean less time spent on transport planing. I was positively surprised after reading a few reviews as my room was cozy, very clean and I did check thoroughly for dust before even considering making some coffee from the freshly ground one the hotel provides (which I thought to be a very luxurious thing). The room in its design was very well put together like almost as a small studio. That and the breakfast area which is made up of three long tables with many seats instead of small tables of 2-4 people gave me the impression that I wasn't so much staying in a hotel rather than a house with more facilities and I found that very pleasant. The food is delicious, the eggs royale made to perfection and the staff friendly. I have only two disadvantages to report: the bins in the room and bathroom are not lined with plastic bags and I think throwing things in there, just like that, is not very sanitary. Secondly, the heating is a big issue as it is centrally controlled and never reaches above 18degrees and I am afraid it is very low for me personally. I asked the reception what they could do but whatever they did still was not enough for my room. I also couldn't understand how my room could be colder than the corridor or the main reception so there might have been an issue with insulation just with my room for all I know. I really want to stay here again so next time I'll try to bring a small portable heater in my luggage as anything less than 26 degrees is unbearable for me. Either that or I will prefer this particular hotel for the warmest weeks of summer so that heating is not very essential.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Smiling890,

Thank you very much for your review. I is always great for us to hear customer feedback and I'm glad to hear that overall you were happy with your stay at the Berkeley Square Hotel.

I'm also glad to hear that you were happy with your room and that you enjoyed the fresh coffee. You pointed out that you did not like the fact that the bins did not have liners in them. As you have pointed this out, we will certainly having a look into changing our policy. With regards to the heating, we will also investigate this further. It sounds as though there may have been a problem with the heating in your room.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to the Berkeley Square again shortly.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked a room to extend our evening when trying the restaurant. In the restaurant the food, service and welcome were very good though we were surprised by the cheap paper napkins . The room 'nice touches' promised were a disappointment. The fruit bowl consisted of 2 satsumas and an apple . There was loose leaf tea, but no teapot, CD player no CDs. The toiletries were 2 bottles of unnamed liquid soap one marked hand wash and a bottled fixed to the bath wall the pump did not work and the soap was watery and unpleasant . Several areas of the bathroom were dirty especially the bottom of the shower screen , soap dish and corners of bath all sadly visible when you lay in the bath. The receptionist told us that as we had booked through booking.com the wifi would cost £5 for 24hrs which given the room and food purchased seemed a mean and petty charge .These things were a shame because the location, and idea to use the art decor throughout are good . It is all just a bit jaded and in need of some attention . When I asked about a feedback form I was told they had run out ! Shame .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Claire996,

Thank you for your review, we always find feedback very helpful as it helps us to improve our service to our guests. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant.

I understand from your review that you were disappointed by the complimentary items in the room. Unfortunately we do not provide teapots in our rooms. We hadn't considered supplying cds in the room but this does sound like a good idea and something we can look into so thank you for raising it with us. With regards to the soap, we will certainly have a look into alternatives.

I have spoken with the House Keeping Manager regarding the bathroom and they have done a deep clean of the room today in order to address the cleanliness issues you have raised.

With regards to the wifi charge, we are currently running an offer so that guests who book directly with the hotel or through our website receive free wifi. We are able to offer our direct guests extra perks such as free wifi as we pay up to 25% commission on third parties such as booking.com.

I'm glad you liked the location as we certainly love working in such a beautiful part of the city. Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to demonstrate to you the improvements we have made.

If you would like to discuss this any further, please do get in touch with me at the Hotel on 0117 9254000.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The rooms can't compete with the impression you can get from the house outside, we were surprised how very small the room was ( executive ). The heating did only work temporary (most of the time it was cold in our room; the furniture ( bed and chair) had stains. The ventilation in the bathroom was very loud and did not stop for half an hour. The breakfast could have better quality and the food, which is served in the evening is ok, but comes on cold plates and the portions are tiny. The wine showed, how little effort is made to comfort the guest, it was not of good quality.The "service" told us far to often "Enjoy!" and kept on repeating it, this did not feel comfortable after a while. Therefore a service charge of 15 % was on our bill. By asking where the 10 % reduction for guests of the hotel are, they did not took it from the whole bill, so the 15 % for service where on top. We believe its quite hubristic to take 15% for this service, without letting the guest know before.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear elegantin.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square Hotel, we really appreciate all feedback we get to make improvements in both the service we provide to our guests and the standard of all of our bedrooms.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the size of your room. With being an old Georgian property the size of our rooms can vary. However we do have other types of doubles in the hotel, Club doubles and Kings which are a little more spacious, so if you stay with us again we would be able to pre-allocate you one of these rooms to ensure a more comfortable stay. With regards to there being stains on your bedding and on the chair, I have spoken to my housekeeping manager to ensure that this does not happen again. The extractor fan has also been looked at by maintenance to make sure that it is not too loud. I can only apologise that you experienced these problems whilst being at the Berkeley Square.

In terms of the experience you had at the Square Restaurant, I will be passing this feedback on to the manager of the Square to ensure that these problems are also dealt with. I am pleased, however, that you liked our Georgian property - we are very lucky to have such a lovely property. We aim to continue to improve our rooms and the level of service day by day. Once again thank you for all the feedback. Every review I get is helpful for to me to improve the experience for our future guests. If you would like to discuss your stay further then please do not hesitate in contacting me on 01179254000 directly at the hotel.

Louise

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

On 1st sight of the imposing facade of the Berkeley Square you cannot fail to be filled with optimism, - It will not last. Enter the grotty, untidy, unkempt reception to be met by a young lady that despite having all your booking details is either unable to read them or comprehend them, every aspect was questioned, - type of room? breakfast? no. of nights staying? car parking required? price quoted? (I will return to this part later). Papers strewn around the reception desk and on the floor behind in some sort of ad hoc art nouveau style, The wooden floor devoid of varnish, rug or carpeting, no hotel information, just a blank stone look slap of a reception desk covered in scuff marks. Enter the very slow moving life and alight to a corridor festooned with Art?? pictures far too numerous to take in, understand or enjoy, and enter your room. Now three plus points, 1) the bed is huge, 2) the bed is comfy, 3) the complementary Sherry decanter. Unfortunately the bed is so huge, it totally dominates the whole of the rest of the room, which is so badly lit, it resembles a "BatCave". When will hoteliers realise customers may want to be able to see in their rooms. Cleanliness is definitely not a priority with old used tissues visible under radiator and small table, a layer of dust on top of badly scuffed skirting boards and a once red sitting chair whose arms and seat are so ingrained with grease they have taken on their own colour. The on-suite is exceptionally small, very cramped, and basic, although appeared clean.
Breakfast, a superb selection offering something for everyone and served by an incredibly friendly knowledgeable & attentive french gentleman, was both tasty and plentiful, but, do not under any circumstances look round, If you raise your eyes to the ceiling, your gaze will be drawn to the 4 half spherical light fittings so entrenched with dust that has been there probably since they were fitted in the 60's. The emergency lighting covers which should be clear or opaque are totally black with embedded grime, and then the central chandelier / fitting, OMG, impossible to put into words how fure filthy. Perhaps you may wish to look out at the Square, a nice garden are in-front the hotel, but whatever you do, do not look through the window, yes the glass is fairly clean, but the window frame once white is now grey so deep-rooted is its filth, the window bottom has a layer of grit its so long since it was last cleaned, and the candle holders appear unclear so inbuilt it the grime.
Ok checkout, by the same less than attentive receptionist that had almost greeted us, went through our invoice and on three occasions was given the option to check / amend it, and despite this still managed to provide us with a 26% undercharge, - Sorry Berkeley Square, you had the opportunity.
In summary, if you are looking for a room in Bristol with a comfy bed but in grim filthy surroundings, with a delicious breakfast that you may or may not be charged for, and parking that may be payable or may not, then this is your place, me, next time, well there are others to look at!!

Room Tip: Overlooking the square, but take a duster, cleaning solution and wear blinkers
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russmakescake
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Russmakescake,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Berkeley Square after your recent stay. I am however very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that it did not meet your expectations.

I am terribly sorry that the room was not up to the usual standard of cleanliness that we maintain at the Berkeley. Our housekeeping do carry out checks before the rooms are ready and clean for guests to check in, so I can only apologise that this clearly was not the case when you arrived. I have held a meeting with my House Manager to discuss some of the issues that you raised and we will be improving our room cleanliness checks to ensure that they are even more thorough to make sure that no guests find a room to be below par.

With regards to the receptionist, she is a very new member of the team and I have already spoken to her regards the service you received to make sure efficiency and customer service standards improve to keep the level of service that we aim to provide to every single guest. I’m sorry you did not enjoy the art that we display in the hotel - we showcase local artists and believe it brightens up the hotel enrapturing a unique boutique feel. The scuff marks of the reception desk are in fact intentional and again makes our entrance a little different to other hotels, so I’m sorry to hear that you did not like this. In terms of the paperwork everywhere, this I have again discussed with the receptionist as I agree, it looks scruffy and we want to maintain a professional and efficient approach to the customer service we provide.

I am, however, delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast and the complimentary sherry in your room- not to mention the large bed.

Again thank you for all of your feedback, and please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss any of the issues raised regarding your stay.

Louise Parkin
Hotel Manager
Glasgow
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My room was very chilly in early Jan, with main radiator off when I entered around 6pm and no clear instructions in the room as to how to boost the heating. It took two phone calls to get an additional heater, which took nearly an hour to arrive. When it did, it blew cold air, even at the high setting so was useless. The bathroom was freezing, with no heater except a towel rail which was switched off on arrival. I worked out how to turn this on though it didn't heat up in time for my shower - so instead of relaxing into my hotel room for the brief time I had to unwind, I was hunched up and tensed against the chill, and so in a bad mood! The glass of sherry didn't compensate I'm afraid. The person on duty said the reason they couldn't help me immediately was because they had to man reception - which presumably means there was only one member of staff on duty? I think having both heaters switched off for a guest's arrival at that time of year suggests a meanness about heating bills, so I couldn't recommend this hotel I'm afraid.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BrianBlessedsBeard
Dear BrianBlessedsBeard,

I am sorry to hear that you had a really disappointing stay with us. I can confirm that our maintenance team have fixed the problem with the heating. We have set times for our heating to go on in the hotel, and I believe that there was an issue with the radiator in your room which has now been fixed, so I can only apologise that this made for an uncomfortable hotel stay.

With regards to how your situation was handled I am truly sorry as this isn’t our usual level of customer service. Our receptionists are trained to deal with any issue promptly and efficiently, and since reading your review I held a training session with my team on how to deal with any heating issues specifically to avoid any future issues.

I can only apologise again for any inconvenience caused by the heating problems in your room and appreciate all of the feedback you have given us. Please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel or email me on louise.parkin@cliftonhotels.com should you wish to discuss any of the comments made in your review of the Berkeley.

Hotel Manager