The Berkeley Square Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Pool
All reviewscomplimentary sherrybristol creambowl of fruitquiet squarebasement barsecure garageground coffeeloose leaf tealittle touchesdvd playerclifton areaexcellent breakfasthotel is in a great locationone night stayvisiting bristoluniversitydecanter
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed in the Berkeley Square Hotel because it was close to the Bristol University which I visited and the hotel has a perfect location for that. The hotel is also cute and has a lot of character. I enjoyed the touches like "eat me" sign on the fruit bowl.
However, the overall experience was really bad. Here is what I did not like: (1) my room was terribly cold and there was no way to increase the temperature. (2) Everything felt outdated, unclean and occasionally broken. (3) Worst of all--when I returned in my room in the evening, all my stuff was gone. Apparently they had messed up my reservation and for some reason assumed that I checked out while leaving all my things in the room. So, they threw everything in my dirty laundry bag, which they luckily kept. In any case, this is an experience that I won't recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Toomas H
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Sir,

I am really sorry about the confusion over your booking. We did try and contact the university on the day, when we saw items had been left in the room (a surprisingly large number of people actually leave items in the room). Unfortunately we hadn't received the purchase order from them so we couldn't check if the booking had been meant to be made for a two night stay rather than the single night we had in our system. Unfortunately we were fully booked in double rooms which is why we moved your items to a single and kept the room for you incase you did come back for another night.

Regarding the heating we have now moved onto our summer heating times but we are now reviewing this as a couple of people have mentioned it still being too cold in the morning.

I am really glad that the location was suitable for you and you liked our individual touches and once again I would like to apologise for the room move and the inconvenience it caused you.

Rachael Gifford

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I am working for Bristol University and chose the non-chain Berkeley Sq for the first (and last) time. You get a basket fruit (apple, banana, orange), which seems to enchant a lot of people. This hotel has character, as many reviews say. But since I am not marrying it, I was looking for better accommodation services, really. A better breakfast would be a start.

Staff is full of smile, friendly, which is great. That doesn't explain why they waited 72 hours to let me know that yoghurt spilled on the floor costs 50 pounds (that was check-out time). Or how they got to this conclusion. Also won't explain why you can't control your room temperature ("environment") but get a 220 volr mini-bar with products that you pay if you just touch them. I guess the fridge is not electric.

Overall, its quirky and trendy way seem phony to me. And obviously wasn't cost-effective. My work in Bristol will continue somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rmgaspar49
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear rmgaspar49,

I'm sorry you are upset about the charge for damage to the room but there was a large amount of chocolate ice cream all over the bedspread and carpet. For both extensive damage to our bedspreads and to our carpets we charge our guests a standard £25 (it is very rare we have the need to do this). We didn't realise when you checked out how you left the room therefore, we weren't able to inform you then in person.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Decent hotel in a great spot for all parts of the city. Stayed in a single room which was small but well equipped (forget the bath, too small to use). Car parking was available which was useful.Main issue for me was that I booked it over the phone and despite being told I did not get an e-mail confirmation. As a result some things did not match my expectation and I had no evidence for this - rooms more expensive that I thought and had to pay for breakfast which I thought was included. I got the impression that the right hand did not always know what the left hand was doing amongst the staff. Requested car parking and was told to avoid reserved spaces used by nearby companies - only found out as I left and not from the staff that a space had been reserved for me!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jane H
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Jane H

Thank you for reviewing us and I'm sorry to hear about the communication problems you experienced while you were here. We are in the process of changing the way we allocate parking spaces and unfortunately this appears to have led to you not being informed about your reserved space. Myself and the assistant manager here are going to go over communication issues in our reception presentation next week and will address this. We will also go over sending out confirmation emails to people who request them so hopefully future guests won't have this problem.

Just to reassure you though our rates are room only unless on a special package, so your bill would have been correct with the breakfast being added on. I'm glad you were happy with the location and how the room was equipped and do hope that we get a chance to welcome you back here in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel looks lovely from the outside. Inside its quirky and arty which is brilliant, great character to the hotel. The staff were very friendly, from reception to restaurant. We were very pleased we could buy our zoo tickets through the hotel directly, which was brilliant! The room was good, on the top floor with views over Bristol and some of its fabulous architecture. The bed is massive and extremely comfortable. We had a mini bar, complimentary fruit and sherry, lovely coffee and tea. The room didn't lack facilities, however it was quite dusty in the places you wouldn't clean everyday (but should) i.e skirting boards, door frames and the bathroom tiles behind the door hadn't been cleaned as i could write my name on them. The bathroom was the biggest disappointment. Very out dated, and very dirty, there was limescale and mildew on all the fittings and the grouting in the tiles was dis-colored, plugs and taps rusting. It didn't make you feel like you could relax. Hopefully it's was just that room that had the outdated bathroom. The menu in the room had spelling mistakes in. I think the quirkiness downstairs should also be reflected in the rooms to give a truly wow factor. All in all the hotel has a lot going for it. Breakfast was very nice and good quality, with a good selection, the staff where all very helpful and friendly. The terrace was a very tranquil place to sit with a beer. It felt like it lacked decent management. £125.00 for the best room with breakfast and zoo tickets, i almost feel bad for leaving an average review. The price is right, just match the rooms with the rest of the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view, maybe ask what the bathroom is like
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom M

Dear Tom M,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. All feedback we have is really useful to improving our product for our future guests. I have addressed the dust issues that you have bought up with the house manager of the hotel and the restaurant will also be updating the menu without spelling mistakes. We are on a rolling refurbishment program with our bathrooms and many are much more modern so 37 will shortly be up to the same standard as the rest of our double rooms. I am really pleased that you were happy with many aspects of your stay and found it good value for money. I hope we get a chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

That’s the catch-phrase of the hotel group and one we can confirm having spent several nights at The Rodney over recent years and a single overnight at The Berkeley Square Hotel this week.

We read some less than complimentary reviews about this hotel and were a little concerned about what we might find, but everything about our stay was positive. The online booking process was straightforward and entitled us to benefits. The three pronged welcome on our arrival at reception was friendly and courteous. A car parking space had been allocated in the hotel garage with our name on.

Our room on the second floor overlooked the tree lined square and was clean and had a comfortable Vi-Spring bed. The room was quiet at night but this may have been because the University was on Easter break. We had complimentary sherry, although for some reason there was only one glass, fresh fruit but no toiletries other than soap dispensers. The free WiFi didn't work in our room.

We enjoyed a meal in the hotel restaurant which was otherwise full. Don’t dismiss this eating establishment as another microwave selection. The chef here is very talented and has built up a great reputation in the city.

On the night of our stay, there was a film show with speaker in the Clubroom downstairs, which we were able to visit, free of charge as hotel guests. It was excellent and well attended by over 50 people. There are many such events through the year.

Breakfast was good, offering a wide selection for all tastes and service was attentive. In fact, the whole experience was relaxing and yes- the hotel was “individual” in its delivery of service. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Louise_Parkin, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Wilkos99,

Thank you very much for your review. We always appreciate our guests' feedback and the team is thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the service you received. I will be checking all our double rooms to ensure that they do have two sherry glasses so thank you for pointing this out. With regards to the wifi, we are aware of this being a problem in a couple of rooms so are currently rolling out a new system to improve the signal.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you to the Berkeley Square Hotel again soon.

Kind regards,