“friendly and welcoming”

Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bedford, United Kingdom
“friendly and welcoming”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Fabulous gem of an hotel, tucked away on a quiet square that you can't believe is so near the centre of Bristol. Excellent, attentive and friendly staff made me, as a solo traveller on business, feel safe and very comfortable. The garden and downstairs have a bohemian feel which extends the friendly feel. I was able to park my car securely for several days using the pre-booking option online, and after requesting as quiet a room as possible when I booked , I was certainly not disappointed with my room on the top floor at the back. I felt my every wish was catered for and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Caroline S,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Berkeley Square Hotel. We are lucky to have such a great location in Bristol, close to the centre and all its’ amenities but in a beautiful quiet square.

I will pass your kind comments onto my reception team. I am glad to hear you received good customer service during your stay, which is something we always pride ourselves on. We hope to welcome you back again one day at the Berkeley.

Rachael Gifford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We did not stay at this hotel but visited for the restaurant, based on very good word of mouth recommendation. The food is excellent and beautifully presented. The service is very good and the staff are helpful and friendly.
The loos are rather tatty, however, and could do with some redecoration.

Room Tip: Did not stay but understand rooms with view of the Square are best
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Grangemoore,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a trip advisor review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your meal at The Square Kitchen, we are very lucky to have such an excellent restaurant attached to the Berkeley Square Hotel. We appreciate your feedback on the public bathrooms and are constantly looking to improve our facilities, so will certainly be looking at this area of the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kent
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My son lives in Bristol so we stay often usually at the Grand Thistle Hotel. Unfortunately this hotel was full so I opted for the secret hotel on Last Minute.com. We arrived and were checked in quickly to a basement room which was small but cosy. It had been a terrible day weather wise and there was no heating on and I was chilly. We rung reception to ask for our radiator to be put on but was told to wrap up in a blanket - not the reply one expects - an offer of a small heater would have been appreciated. Had a hot bath instead although the bath was a lot shorter than a standard size bath!! The whole hotel was ok but slightly weird!! Went out for dinner and returned around 10:30 - no bar open for a drink. Nice area although not walking distance to the main shopping area of Bristol. I shall be going back to the Thistle hotel next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear NickypKent,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip advisor, all feedback is welcome so that we can offer our guests the best possible level of service. I am sorry to hear that you were not offered a heater for your room or a drink on your return, as we do offer both services to our guests, so thank you for highlighting this issue. I will be going over both these problems with the team so that they are all confident at offering these services going forward. If you did decide to stay with us again please feel free to call the hotel directly and ask to speak to the Manager, and I will personally handle your booking and see if I can do anything to make up for the problems you experienced this time.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Brilliant little hotel hidden in an oasis of calm in the middle of Bristol. Part covered terrace at the rear of the basement bar ideal for smokers. Cracking restaurant. Chic ambience. However, one of the most important things for me is being able to park at the entrance to reception to unload my luggage, obtain the code and go to the secure parking garage 60 seconds walk from the hotel. Restricted number of spaces, so be aware. Warning - The Square is the basement bar which is a private bar/club thing. Loads of 'Club 18-30' types and loud music at times.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve W
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Steve W,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on trip adviser, we really appreciate you taking the time to do this, as being a small independent hotel the feedback on this site is really important. Myself and the rest of the team here are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Bristol
Reviewed 21 May 2014

very nice hotel, situated in a beuatiful square with a park in the middle just off a main street in the heart of Bristol. Decanter of sherry in room with bowl of fresh fruit as well as tea & coffee facilities. Very good breakfast and friendly staff - would highly recommend. Only negative side was that music from nearby bars could be heard until late at night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Deborah W,

Thank you so much for your review. All the staff at the hotel are really glad that you enjoyed your time here with us and very much appreciate you taking the time to post it on trip advisor.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The good: Arrived to a nice welcome. Room was a little small (kind of London budget hotel size) but fine. Complimentary fruit, shortbread, and sherry was a nice touch. Loose tea and freshly ground coffee good too, though some sugar to go with them would have been nice.

The bad: Loud music from downstairs club started around 10 I think. Made it impossible to sleep so I phoned reception, who told me that I should have been informed about this private function before (I wasn't) and that they didn't have any earplugs. No real apology or offer to follow up. I mentioned the problems out on my comment form and left my email address — a day and a half later no-one's got back to me yet.

I see a couple of other reviewers had problems with noise.

Overall, seems like a quirky boutique type of place that hasn't got all the basics right yet.

Room Tip: Take earplugs (the silicon or wax kind block out noise well).
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm really glad that you liked the provisions in the rooms.

We do provide sugar in the draws below the tea and coffee, where we also provide fruit teas, hot chocolate etc. We are going to put better signage in the rooms to improve awareness of this as a couple of guests have mentioned us not having sugar so we obviously aren't making it very clear.

I am really sorry about the problem with noise that you experienced and that your questionnaire got missed, we do normally contact any guests that fill out a less than satisfactory questionnaire so I am sorry that this did not happen to you. Following that event we have changed our bar's private hire policy and are no longer taking any bookings with live music past 10.30pm on a weekday evening. I will also go back to last fortnight's questionnaires today so I can drop you a personal email response to the noise issue raised on it.

Rachael

Room Tip: Take earplugs (the silicon or wax kind block out noise well).
Ashford
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Ok, so at first glance the decor is a bit tired and unusual but it's also weirdly brilliant. Staying at this place is like being in a movie - a strange mix of theatre design meets 80s TV makeover show. The alarming bouncing elevator would suit young children, who might think it was a fairground ride, or bungee jumpers. For everyone else, including me, it's probably better to chicken out and take the stairs. The staff were fantastic and the full English breakfast was probably the best I've ever eaten. So ignore the noisy mini-bar (putting it in a cupboard is how most hotels get round this problem), the chipped bath enamel and the lack of air conditioning in the attic rooms and just revel in the comfortable (firm) bed and the overall ambience of this odd little hotel. If you need to visit Bristol and you're tired of anonymous chain hotels then give this place a try. Garage parking is a 150 yard walk and needs to be pre-booked and I can't comment on dinner as the restaurant was full -which I'm guessing is a good sign on a weekday evening - so you could do worse than strolling the short distance to the excellent Botanic eatery just down the hill. Overall, great central location and a genuinely different place to stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
RachaelGifford, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear John O,

I am really glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us. Thank you for taking the time to place a review as guest feedback means a lot to everyone who works here. Also, we are trailing a newer quieter mini bar in a couple of rooms at the moment and if that is successful hope to roll them out across the hotel so hopefully this will further improve our guest experience. I do hope we get to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.