“A contemporary, artistic, friendly charming find! the best hotel in Bristol!”

The Berkeley Square Hotel
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I stayed at The Berkeley Square hotel in Clifton 2 days ago and must admit was slightly worried what I might find having read some of the earlier guest reviews on this site - but i felt i had to write this and set things straight - were they writing about a different hotel? I have never had such a pleasant stay - the hotel was charming, modern, clean, a unique, bohemian and artistic ambience with friendly staff that couldn't do enough for me. The food was excellent and one can have anything off the menus for room service - which along with breakfast was on time and absolutely delicious! - and I am fussy!
The room was charming, well appointed, all mod cons and little extras which gave a lovely unique touch - and an excellent view of the garden.
I would recommend this charming boutique hotel which is right in the middle of Clifton, to anyone and everyone - and I can't wait to go there again!
A marvellous hotel, brilliant find and well worth every penny!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 February 2009

The hotel is in a very good location which was close to a few restaurants, cafes and bars as well as the Bristol City Museum and Art Gallery. The room itself was small but newly renovated though the bathroom was fairly old. However, it was all spotlessly clean and well-appointed (i.e. mini bar, cd player, cable tv, complimentary chocs and sherry) as well as having very comfortable beds and being very quiet.

Unfortunatley, the elevator was broken and we were on a high floor but the reception staff were very helpful and assisted us with carrying luggage upstairs, advice and restaurant suggestions. There is also car parking (for a fee) which is handy with limited street parking.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Stayed at this hotel for business reasons and wished I had not. On the outside the hotel appears very 'quaint', please dont be fooled!! I am not a seasoned hotel 'stayer', but please belive me this hotel is something else....and I do not mean in a good way!!

Firstly the staff are very arrogant and not very friendly at all, tried to contact them on the hotel phone on many occasions, but no answer.
Do not book a room here if you are frightened of enclosed spaces, the rooms are no bigger than a prison cell, the heating did not work properly and my room was freezing all night.
The bathroom is even smaller, the shower did not work, just spat water out in a stream. I was not pleased at all, but the worst was yet to come.
When i got up (freezing) the next morning, I realised I was not alone in the room......I noticed a cockroach on the table top (alive) and looking very well fed. I caught it and took it to reception, were the receptionist was as scared as I was!!
Needless to say, I made extensive checks of my stuff before packing, didnt want to take any unwelcome visitors home!!
I refused to pay for the room and left.
This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank Leeb7613
Reviewed 17 November 2008

My son and I was booked into the Clifton Hotel..from Dec 19-Jan 3 2007..when we arrived there they told us that the Hotel was being renovated..so they said that they booked us into another Hotel...The Berkleley Sq Hotel Clifton.

There was no heat at all..it was freezing..and there was red Hot towel rack in the bathroom that we burnt ourselves a number of times..this rack was placed in a very stupid position .

We both contacted Pneumonia in this room my son was even Hospitalized.

The staff were in another planet .. and could not converse with them..they were so stuck up.

The elevator was out of service a number of times..

I would not recommend this place at all..

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank maro4444
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I booked this hotel 5 weeks prior to arrival via telephone. Two days before I phoned to confirm the booking and was told all was fine and they were expecting us. We arrived at the hotel at 4pm to be told that they had a large party coming and had booked us into the Marriot in Bristol. We explained that we had chosen their hotel as we wanted a small boutique hotel and not chain. I could not understand how they did not have a room for us even though I had booked several weeks in advance and phoned to confirm less than 48 hours beforehand. It seems that they had a large Party and wanted their custom more than ours. They offered us a complimentary meal in their restaurant but we didn't want to tramp back there on a rainy evening, especially as our custom meant so little to them. However the Royal Marriott was excellent and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Would agree with most of the reviews below. Really pleasant stay in good location. Staff were very helpful and friendly in a really sincere fashion. Nice touches to the room- the fruitbowl and the sherry. CD player and DVD worked well as well.
Overall the hotel oozes a relaxed vibe.
Didn't manage to have breakfast although reading some of the other reviews wish I had.
One possible drawback is that they appear to have very limited car parking spaces during the day ( at a guess- no more than 8) this increases in the evening as the business that they share the car park with leave.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2008

I stayed in the hotel on my own for a bank holiday weekend break.

The hotel is well situated on a quiet square in the University district, midway between the city centre and Clifton. So it is well placed for the attractions. There are lots of cheap restaurants on the main road nearby.

My room was small but adequate, well equipped (CD & DVD players) and with nice touches (complimentary fruit and Bristol sherry).

Breakfast was very good - fruit salad, muesli, pastries, smoothies, hot meals to order - and served in an attractive room over-looking the Square. (Breakfast was as advertised extra to the room only price: +£7.50 for continental buffet, more for cooked).

Common parts had interesting artworks for sale.

Friendly staff.

Only possible problem: interior sound insulation was poor and could be a problem if the neighbours are noisy. Also, at the back rooms overlook the cafe garden and that might be noisy if it is in operation.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo