Lowest prices for your stay
£65
janeM3451XR
Chichester, United Kingdom

Wedding Weekend

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 8 Jul 2018
Stayed here for a Wedding at the venue, all was very well planned and organised. We were able to choose what we ate at Wedding meal which was lovely, and the food was tasty and well presented. The bedroom was clean and tidy with a good shower. The only issue was an open window due to the heat and that I am not use to sleeping in a noisy city...………..
Date of stay: June 2018
Room Tip: If hot weather ask for a room away from the front of the hotel
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 9 Jul 2018
Dear Jane,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the wedding, the team at The Square all work so hard to ensure that the day runs smoothly.

It's great to hear that you found the room clean and well equipped. We are as you say in the city centre, however we are located in a quiet square so I do hope that the noise didn't disturb you too much!

I hope that you will stay with us the next time you're in Bristol.

£96
  • Vio.com
6.6 miles from The Berkeley Square Hotel
View more hotels in Bristol
1,163 results
All reviews complimentary sherry basement bar quiet square bowl of fruit ground coffee loose leaf tea little touches secure parking excellent breakfast one night stay comfy bed lovely room visiting bristol university decanter clifton beckley
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 July 2018

Stayed 3 nights (Thurs->Sat) @ £60/nite, park out the front, seated area out back, couldn't be better situated but area out back which is part of a bar/club does get used in the evening but didn't find it particularly invasive. Decor a little tired but at that price I 'aint complaining! If you want real up market boutique try Hotel du Vin - although their prices will probably make your bank manager cry.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear Aeboxford,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear that you took full advantage of our central location. I do agree that being close to so many bars and restaurants as well as just a short walk to the harbourside makes us the perfect base to explore Bristol.

As you say we do have some great facilities with a cocktail bar and outside terrace area for our guests to use. We also take requests so that those who prefer a quieter evening can be placed away from the activity. We are always undergoing renovations and improvements to the hotel and for those who want 5* luxury I can recommend our deluxe suites, situated just around the corner from the hotel.

I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

I booked this hotel as part of a trip away for 1 night . The appearance on the outside was very nice on the website and thought maybe a bit classier especially as we booked an "Executive Double Room " .
The staff at reception were friendly and we dropped our bag off and went to explore Bristol . When we returned we got the keys to our room . The first thing i noticed was how small the room was , i expected a much bigger room . On the desk there was a complimentary bottle of sherry , but this had been half drank and used glasses still on the side . So clearly not refilled and clean glasses put in place ready for our arrival. One of the light fittings had no bulb in it and the whole room seemed unkept .
By far the worst part of the room though was the bathroom . There was mould everywhere and it looked really disgusting all over . It just seemed like it hadnt been cleaned properly in ages or that anyone cared about the lack of hygiene . If we had been staying for longer we would have asked for a different room .
The breakfast was average , some bits overcooked , some under and a bit cold for my liking . Again , the staff at breakfast were very friendly.
Overall the condition of the room was a large factor in this review , the least you expect when you pay alot for a room , is cleanliness and hygiene , and if you are going to pride yourself on complimentary drinks etc , please make sure this doesnt get presented in the manner that we found .
To summarize and quote the trade descriptions act , the last thing i would have called the room is " Executive " !!!

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank scottphillips470

Dear Scott,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am glad that you found our hard working staff friendly and welcoming.

I can only apologise that you found your room not to be properly cleaned. Our housekeeping team are usually so thorough and I have already addressed your room not being properly checked. I can assure you that this is an exception.

I would love to speak to you directly about your stay, please give me a call on 01179 254000 so that we can talk in more depth about your experience. I would love for you to come back to us and have the great stay that we wish for all of our guests to have.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Location is everything. In my view, this is Berkeley Square's main (but almost only) selling point. So if you don't mind staying in a tiny and stuffy room, where temperatures in late June always stayed near sauna levels (no air conditioning), then Berkeley Square may be the right choice for you.
On the positive side, the service was OK. The breakfast room was nice (and maintained a cooler temperature than the rooms, but see below), and there was a selection of cooked breakfasts which were also good. However, the coffee served for breakfast was not good, and the cappuccino (for which I had to pay extra although I had booked including breakfast) was only a slight improvement. So I switched to tea, although I normally do not drink tea.
On the negative side, and this weighs heavily in my rating, staying in my room was almost impossible to endure. My "executive single room" had a size of less than 10 square meters. During my 5-day visit, outside temperatures were around 26 to 29 degrees Celsius in the afternoon, which is high for Bristol but certainly not extreme. At night, it did cool down outside to about 13 to 14 degrees -- but nonetheless, temperatures inside the room always stayed at a level that was intolerably high. The maximum opening of the single sash window was about 12 inches, and it was impossible to get fresh air flowing through the room. Fortunately, I found an electric fan in the cupboard. Although it was very dirty and had apparently accumulated dust over several months, I dared to use it, and it did at least move the warm air around a little. Still, I slept very badly every single night because of the heat. (All of this did not only apply to my room; several colleagues who had stayed in other rooms at the same time suffered in the same way.)
The room situation was compounded by the fact that, during my stay, every afternoon and evening the restaurant (aka breakfast room) and bar of the hotel were off limits to hotel guests because they had been booked for private events. So not only was the room unbearably hot, but there was really no place to sit down and read your e-mails after breakfast time. (To be fair, I was offered to do this in some room in the basement, which I didn't check out.)
As I am writing this, I have just spent the first night back home, where I did sleep well for 10 hours, having to catch up on sleep so much.

Room tip: On nice summer days and nights, probably all rooms will be too hot to enjoy.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Gerd B

Dear Gerd,

I am happy to hear that you took full advantage of our great location and that you enjoyed the delicious breakfasts cooked by the Square Kitchen. As you mentioned we do not have air-conditioning, as a listed building we are unfortuantely unable to logistically install this. For this same reason we are unable to amend the size of our rooms. Having said that, our having single rooms does mean that we can cater to different budgets for our guests. For those who wish to have a more spacious room I would recommend booking one of our double rooms.

We are enjoying some unusually warm weather this summer and are doing all we can to keep our guests cool and comfortable, by supplying fans in all of our rooms. We do have to restrict the window opening due to health and safety but all of our rooms have fully functioning sash windows to allow for air flow.

We do have a lively atmosphere of events in the hotel but we do always prioritise space for our hotel guests. The room that you refer to is our lower deck cocktail bar which is a lovely space for our guests to use, complete with speedy wifi so it is a shame that you decided not to use it.

I do hope that you can return to us and have a much better stay.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Hotel is just off where Park Street and Park Row converge. Bristol is hilly and this is a long hill. The pavements are in poor condition and I found it difficult to walk with my case. I am a healthy 48yrs but found this location unpleasant with too many noodle type bars and lots of big bins in view. For students it's good I suppose, but the uphill had a downtown feel. The freeview TV reception was absolutely crap. Like going back to the 80s with only 4 channels. The signal kept breaking up on the few channels I got, but certainly not the full freeview range. I told the receptionists this but they didn't pass the message on so each day I had to raise the issue (3 day stay). I only had the world cup football for company, BBC 1 being the only stable channel. I put my laptop on but the wifi is capped. Only if you book direct it's free, but still capped. I got about an hours worth, so check this before you book. Also room service is limited and when I asked for a jam sandwich around 9pm, I was provided with cold toast instead. At least it was food. They had a function on in the restaurant so I guess room service was low on their priority.
If you want the shopping quarter then stay over the east end of the city. The west end is the uni end and it shows. The room itself was good, I had a single room. The bathroom was newly refurbed, although the cleaners didn't clean the shower drain part so in time it will start to smell and blacken, but cleanliness was good, bed comfy and decor OK. Single glaze window but being summer I had it open anyway and noise from the functions outside in the garden area stopped around 10.30pm so that's tolerable. I asked for a top floor quiet room so not to intrusive. The football drowned it out...

Room tip: Quieter rooms at the top but still outside noise spill but did stop at a reasonable time.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Helene,
Thank you for spending the time to leave a review. I am surprised to hear that you did not like our location, being situated in a quiet square just off Park Street, one of Bristol's most popular shopping streets our guests usually love our location. I am sorry that the TV signal caused you issues whilst you were here, I can assure you that we were working hard behind the scenes to get it fixed and the problem has now been rectified.

Wifi is free to all of our guests no matter how they book and is unlimited so I'm not sure why you were unable to connect for a long period of time. Our reception is open 24 hours a day and we are always happy to help with any issues such as this.

I am glad that you liked your room and found it clean and comfortable. We always do our best to accomodate requests so it's great that we were able to put you in a quiet room.

I do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

When we first entered our room we were shocked by how shabby and unclean it was!
Peeling wallpaper, cracks in the ceiling with yellow stains, water run marks down the wall, dirty windows and what should have been white net curtains were grey and filthy all along the bottom. The window frames and boxed pipe woodwork was shabby, chipped and unpainted. The counterpane on the bed had a tear in the corner and was stained in several places. Even the paintwork on the door to the room needed a good clean as it was covered with dirty hand-marks! The bath in the single room had a large black chip in the enamel at the bottom of the bath and black mildew on the sealant around the bath, this room also had filthy net curtains. After speaking to the very nice Canadian girl on reception we were upgraded to a better room.
After having our son moved from the single room to another room (which had been paid for by another member of the family who hadn't been able to make the trip but had still paid in full for their room) we decided to check that we hadn't left anything in the room we'd originally booked when we were checking out. To our amazement, we found that the hotel had allowed this room to be re-let to another person without our knowledge - we'd put our key-card in the door and walked in to find a woman sat on the bed in her nightdress! This was very embarrassing for us and her. We went to reception to finish checking out and told them that there was a stranger in one of our rooms.
We were told that the manager would contact us about all the problems we'd had when he/she returned to work on Monday but we have not heard from them at all.

Room tip: Don't get a room on the ground floor, insist on seeing the room first.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Villafields
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear Sue,
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are always making improvements to the hotel and I have taken your comments on board.

I am so happy to hear that reception were able to offer you a free upgrade to a more suitable room. As you had moved rooms we do resell any room that isn't being used. I am sorry that this was not properly communicated to you. I do apologise also that I have not been in touch, unfortunately it wasn't communicated to me that you were anticipating a call.

I would be more than happy to speak to you about your stay. Please do get in contact on 01179 254000 to discuss any issues further.