Lowest prices for your stay
£138
wspring2018
London, United Kingdom

Just Perfect!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Jul 2018
I view of days ago I stayed in this lovely hotel. Not only was it tidy and clean it has a lovely vibe to it as well. It is located in a great location for if you want to explore Bristol. The staff are very welcoming and professional. The lady that looked after us made us feel at home right away and nothing was too much. We have been to many places and hotels all over the world and some places just get it right! Will definitely be coming back here!
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 11 Jul 2018
Dear wspring2018,

Thank you for your lovely review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our housekeeping team work so hard to make the rooms spotless to it is great that you found the room clean and comfortable.

I am so happy that you felt welcomed and I do hope that you will be back in Bristol again soon for another stay with us!

£119
4.9 miles from The Berkeley Square Hotel
Free parking
View more hotels in Bristol
1,163 results
All reviews complimentary sherry basement bar quiet square bowl of fruit ground coffee loose leaf tea little touches secure parking excellent breakfast one night stay comfy bed lovely room visiting bristol university decanter clifton beckley
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 July 2018

Ok so when you get a room in a city for around £100 you've got to have reasonable expectations and in my opinion the Berkeley Square hotel is good value for what you pay. We stayed from 30th June 18 to the 2nd July 18 (yes that unbelievably hot weekend) and had a 1st floor, front facing room (double facing the square).

The room was equipped as you'd expect for a mid/low price hotel, TV, drinks making facilities etc. It had a minibar which was a negative point for this time of year - it pumped out an incredible amount of heat which was definitely not welcomed at the time of year. Managers should consider whether they really need to offer a minibar and if they do then they should replace these older units. The rooms decor wise were a bit tired including the bathroom, oldish looking overall and grout cracked etc in bathroom. That said the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Cannot criticize too much for the room being really hot as what hotels are really geared up for the weather we've been having?? There was a fan provided but I could see how some would struggle to sleep and the minibar really didn't help matters. Its the oldish tired decor which means I'd take a star from the rating.

Breakfast was very good and I'd recommend booking with it included in the price. The cold buffet is as you'd expect, choice of cereal, fruit and juice. The full english was the star, not greasy in the slightest good sausage (always the mark of a good breakfast), crispy black pudding and a good size. They even have gluten free toast on offer which is quite a rare and pleasing find. The staff were attentive (several top ups of coffee) and the cooked food was served very quickly so bear that in mind if you want to start with cereal or fruit. The restaurant area is modern and relaxed, very nice way to slowly start your day (or even speed through if you were so inclined - speed of service means its entirely up to you).

The front of house staff were friendly and helpful, booking, check in and check out were all efficient and problem free. I always loathe to pay for parking on top of the room rate but when the location is taken into mind its almost inevitable. That said for £12 a night the parking is good value, the hotels parking is a secure unit on the square itself. You won't find better priced anywhere close (trust me I looked!).

Location was perfect for us, we are a young couple who enjoy being able to walk everywhere. We were able to walk to both Bristol town center (10 minutes) and to Clifton (20 minutes the other direction) and I'd recommend trying out both. It is at the top of a fairly sizable hill so if you struggle with walking you may want to consider cabbing or staying closer to the center of town.

It appears to allow dogs (only for certain rooms I believe) as we saw a small pug at breakfast one morning so worth keeping in mind if you are very allergic. Its a plus point for me as it can be difficult to find somewhere nice that allows dogs.

So all in all I'd sum it up as a good value hotel in Bristol, when I come back to that part of the world I'll definitely stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear Lee,
Thank you for your lovely review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found us good value for money. It's great that you had a comfortable nights sleep. We are always looking to improve the hotel and are currently undergoing bathroom renovations.

I will pass on your lovely comments about the breakfast to our restaurant team at The Square, I do agree it is quite a treat! We offer our secure parking garage as an extra ammenity for our guests and as you say it is cheaper than the other parking options in the area. It's great that you found it convienient.

Thank you again for your review. I do hope it is not too long until you're back in Bristol and can stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Stayed here for a Wedding at the venue, all was very well planned and organised. We were able to choose what we ate at Wedding meal which was lovely, and the food was tasty and well presented. The bedroom was clean and tidy with a good shower. The only issue was an open window due to the heat and that I am not use to sleeping in a noisy city...………..

Room tip: If hot weather ask for a room away from the front of the hotel
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jane,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the wedding, the team at The Square all work so hard to ensure that the day runs smoothly.

It's great to hear that you found the room clean and well equipped. We are as you say in the city centre, however we are located in a quiet square so I do hope that the noise didn't disturb you too much!

I hope that you will stay with us the next time you're in Bristol.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Stayed 3 nights (Thurs->Sat) @ £60/nite, park out the front, seated area out back, couldn't be better situated but area out back which is part of a bar/club does get used in the evening but didn't find it particularly invasive. Decor a little tired but at that price I 'aint complaining! If you want real up market boutique try Hotel du Vin - although their prices will probably make your bank manager cry.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Aeboxford,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear that you took full advantage of our central location. I do agree that being close to so many bars and restaurants as well as just a short walk to the harbourside makes us the perfect base to explore Bristol.

As you say we do have some great facilities with a cocktail bar and outside terrace area for our guests to use. We also take requests so that those who prefer a quieter evening can be placed away from the activity. We are always undergoing renovations and improvements to the hotel and for those who want 5* luxury I can recommend our deluxe suites, situated just around the corner from the hotel.

I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

I booked this hotel as part of a trip away for 1 night . The appearance on the outside was very nice on the website and thought maybe a bit classier especially as we booked an "Executive Double Room " .
The staff at reception were friendly and we dropped our bag off and went to explore Bristol . When we returned we got the keys to our room . The first thing i noticed was how small the room was , i expected a much bigger room . On the desk there was a complimentary bottle of sherry , but this had been half drank and used glasses still on the side . So clearly not refilled and clean glasses put in place ready for our arrival. One of the light fittings had no bulb in it and the whole room seemed unkept .
By far the worst part of the room though was the bathroom . There was mould everywhere and it looked really disgusting all over . It just seemed like it hadnt been cleaned properly in ages or that anyone cared about the lack of hygiene . If we had been staying for longer we would have asked for a different room .
The breakfast was average , some bits overcooked , some under and a bit cold for my liking . Again , the staff at breakfast were very friendly.
Overall the condition of the room was a large factor in this review , the least you expect when you pay alot for a room , is cleanliness and hygiene , and if you are going to pride yourself on complimentary drinks etc , please make sure this doesnt get presented in the manner that we found .
To summarize and quote the trade descriptions act , the last thing i would have called the room is " Executive " !!!

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank scottphillips470

Dear Scott,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am glad that you found our hard working staff friendly and welcoming.

I can only apologise that you found your room not to be properly cleaned. Our housekeeping team are usually so thorough and I have already addressed your room not being properly checked. I can assure you that this is an exception.

I would love to speak to you directly about your stay, please give me a call on 01179 254000 so that we can talk in more depth about your experience. I would love for you to come back to us and have the great stay that we wish for all of our guests to have.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Location is everything. In my view, this is Berkeley Square's main (but almost only) selling point. So if you don't mind staying in a tiny and stuffy room, where temperatures in late June always stayed near sauna levels (no air conditioning), then Berkeley Square may be the right choice for you.
On the positive side, the service was OK. The breakfast room was nice (and maintained a cooler temperature than the rooms, but see below), and there was a selection of cooked breakfasts which were also good. However, the coffee served for breakfast was not good, and the cappuccino (for which I had to pay extra although I had booked including breakfast) was only a slight improvement. So I switched to tea, although I normally do not drink tea.
On the negative side, and this weighs heavily in my rating, staying in my room was almost impossible to endure. My "executive single room" had a size of less than 10 square meters. During my 5-day visit, outside temperatures were around 26 to 29 degrees Celsius in the afternoon, which is high for Bristol but certainly not extreme. At night, it did cool down outside to about 13 to 14 degrees -- but nonetheless, temperatures inside the room always stayed at a level that was intolerably high. The maximum opening of the single sash window was about 12 inches, and it was impossible to get fresh air flowing through the room. Fortunately, I found an electric fan in the cupboard. Although it was very dirty and had apparently accumulated dust over several months, I dared to use it, and it did at least move the warm air around a little. Still, I slept very badly every single night because of the heat. (All of this did not only apply to my room; several colleagues who had stayed in other rooms at the same time suffered in the same way.)
The room situation was compounded by the fact that, during my stay, every afternoon and evening the restaurant (aka breakfast room) and bar of the hotel were off limits to hotel guests because they had been booked for private events. So not only was the room unbearably hot, but there was really no place to sit down and read your e-mails after breakfast time. (To be fair, I was offered to do this in some room in the basement, which I didn't check out.)
As I am writing this, I have just spent the first night back home, where I did sleep well for 10 hours, having to catch up on sleep so much.

Room tip: On nice summer days and nights, probably all rooms will be too hot to enjoy.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Gerd B

Dear Gerd,

I am happy to hear that you took full advantage of our great location and that you enjoyed the delicious breakfasts cooked by the Square Kitchen. As you mentioned we do not have air-conditioning, as a listed building we are unfortuantely unable to logistically install this. For this same reason we are unable to amend the size of our rooms. Having said that, our having single rooms does mean that we can cater to different budgets for our guests. For those who wish to have a more spacious room I would recommend booking one of our double rooms.

We are enjoying some unusually warm weather this summer and are doing all we can to keep our guests cool and comfortable, by supplying fans in all of our rooms. We do have to restrict the window opening due to health and safety but all of our rooms have fully functioning sash windows to allow for air flow.

We do have a lively atmosphere of events in the hotel but we do always prioritise space for our hotel guests. The room that you refer to is our lower deck cocktail bar which is a lovely space for our guests to use, complete with speedy wifi so it is a shame that you decided not to use it.

I do hope that you can return to us and have a much better stay.