Lowest prices for your stay
£129
£126
Easy and fast booking
factanonverba
York, United Kingdom
A wacky, friendly and fun hotel in the heart of Bristol
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Jul 2018
We stayed at the Berkeley Square Hotel on a number of occasions whilst visiting Bristol University, the last time being earlier this month for the graduation ceremony.

It is a great hotel, very friendly and serving excellent food. A generic hotel it definitely is not. In fact our room, a suite, was in a different building further along the street.

We have stayed in both the standard rooms and the suites. We splashed out into the suites for this our last visit. They are comfortable, well laid out, quiet and furnished with a self-contained, fully equipped ‘kitchen cupboard’. We were greeted and looked after by Haley who was hospitable, caring and evidently enjoyed her job (which reflects back on the hotel’s management).

Back in the main part of the hotel, the building also serves as a private members club for the creative communities of Bristol. The restaurant and bar are unusual, to say the least whilst being welcoming and fun to be in. The hotel / club runs a full programme of interesting events. had we lived in Bristol…

The hotel is part of the Clifton Hotels group, which runs three other hotels in the area. We stuck to the Berkeley because of its proximity to the University and we thoroughly recommend it.
£120
5.1 miles from The Berkeley Square Hotel
Free parking
View more hotels in Bristol
1,162 results
All reviews complimentary sherry basement bar quiet square bowl of fruit ground coffee loose leaf tea little touches secure parking excellent breakfast one night stay comfy bed lovely room visiting bristol university decanter clifton beckley
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Was very disappointed with my visit room was not very clean and bathroom definitely was not clean. The bed sheets were torn and when we complained they didn't really seem to care. Some of staff were friendly and helpful is my only positive.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Dear Katie,
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have tried to get through to you on the phone so we can talk directly about your stay but unfortuantely I don't seem to have a working number for you.

All of our rooms get checked in detail to ensure that they are up to standard so I do apologise that your room does not seem to have been prepared to the high standard we set ourselves. It is disappointing also that your complaint was met with indifference, as you mention, our team are very friendly and usually very willing to help in any situation. I will be doing additional customer service training with the team to ensure that this is an isolated incident.

I would love to speak to you directly to get more detailed feedback, as an independent hotel guest feedback is essential for us to improve. If you could give me a call on 01179 254000 it would be great to hear from you.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

I view of days ago I stayed in this lovely hotel. Not only was it tidy and clean it has a lovely vibe to it as well. It is located in a great location for if you want to explore Bristol. The staff are very welcoming and professional. The lady that looked after us made us feel at home right away and nothing was too much. We have been to many places and hotels all over the world and some places just get it right! Will definitely be coming back here!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Dear wspring2018,

Thank you for your lovely review! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our housekeeping team work so hard to make the rooms spotless to it is great that you found the room clean and comfortable.

I am so happy that you felt welcomed and I do hope that you will be back in Bristol again soon for another stay with us!

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Ok so when you get a room in a city for around £100 you've got to have reasonable expectations and in my opinion the Berkeley Square hotel is good value for what you pay. We stayed from 30th June 18 to the 2nd July 18 (yes that unbelievably hot weekend) and had a 1st floor, front facing room (double facing the square).

The room was equipped as you'd expect for a mid/low price hotel, TV, drinks making facilities etc. It had a minibar which was a negative point for this time of year - it pumped out an incredible amount of heat which was definitely not welcomed at the time of year. Managers should consider whether they really need to offer a minibar and if they do then they should replace these older units. The rooms decor wise were a bit tired including the bathroom, oldish looking overall and grout cracked etc in bathroom. That said the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Cannot criticize too much for the room being really hot as what hotels are really geared up for the weather we've been having?? There was a fan provided but I could see how some would struggle to sleep and the minibar really didn't help matters. Its the oldish tired decor which means I'd take a star from the rating.

Breakfast was very good and I'd recommend booking with it included in the price. The cold buffet is as you'd expect, choice of cereal, fruit and juice. The full english was the star, not greasy in the slightest good sausage (always the mark of a good breakfast), crispy black pudding and a good size. They even have gluten free toast on offer which is quite a rare and pleasing find. The staff were attentive (several top ups of coffee) and the cooked food was served very quickly so bear that in mind if you want to start with cereal or fruit. The restaurant area is modern and relaxed, very nice way to slowly start your day (or even speed through if you were so inclined - speed of service means its entirely up to you).

The front of house staff were friendly and helpful, booking, check in and check out were all efficient and problem free. I always loathe to pay for parking on top of the room rate but when the location is taken into mind its almost inevitable. That said for £12 a night the parking is good value, the hotels parking is a secure unit on the square itself. You won't find better priced anywhere close (trust me I looked!).

Location was perfect for us, we are a young couple who enjoy being able to walk everywhere. We were able to walk to both Bristol town center (10 minutes) and to Clifton (20 minutes the other direction) and I'd recommend trying out both. It is at the top of a fairly sizable hill so if you struggle with walking you may want to consider cabbing or staying closer to the center of town.

It appears to allow dogs (only for certain rooms I believe) as we saw a small pug at breakfast one morning so worth keeping in mind if you are very allergic. Its a plus point for me as it can be difficult to find somewhere nice that allows dogs.

So all in all I'd sum it up as a good value hotel in Bristol, when I come back to that part of the world I'll definitely stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear Lee,
Thank you for your lovely review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found us good value for money. It's great that you had a comfortable nights sleep. We are always looking to improve the hotel and are currently undergoing bathroom renovations.

I will pass on your lovely comments about the breakfast to our restaurant team at The Square, I do agree it is quite a treat! We offer our secure parking garage as an extra ammenity for our guests and as you say it is cheaper than the other parking options in the area. It's great that you found it convienient.

Thank you again for your review. I do hope it is not too long until you're back in Bristol and can stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

Stayed here for a Wedding at the venue, all was very well planned and organised. We were able to choose what we ate at Wedding meal which was lovely, and the food was tasty and well presented. The bedroom was clean and tidy with a good shower. The only issue was an open window due to the heat and that I am not use to sleeping in a noisy city...………..

Room tip: If hot weather ask for a room away from the front of the hotel
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jane,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the wedding, the team at The Square all work so hard to ensure that the day runs smoothly.

It's great to hear that you found the room clean and well equipped. We are as you say in the city centre, however we are located in a quiet square so I do hope that the noise didn't disturb you too much!

I hope that you will stay with us the next time you're in Bristol.

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Stayed 3 nights (Thurs->Sat) @ £60/nite, park out the front, seated area out back, couldn't be better situated but area out back which is part of a bar/club does get used in the evening but didn't find it particularly invasive. Decor a little tired but at that price I 'aint complaining! If you want real up market boutique try Hotel du Vin - although their prices will probably make your bank manager cry.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Aeboxford,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear that you took full advantage of our central location. I do agree that being close to so many bars and restaurants as well as just a short walk to the harbourside makes us the perfect base to explore Bristol.

As you say we do have some great facilities with a cocktail bar and outside terrace area for our guests to use. We also take requests so that those who prefer a quieter evening can be placed away from the activity. We are always undergoing renovations and improvements to the hotel and for those who want 5* luxury I can recommend our deluxe suites, situated just around the corner from the hotel.

I hope that you will visit us again soon.