Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Fri, 31 May
Fully refundable before Thu, 30 May
Easy and fast booking
Diana H
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom

Part of wedding guest group

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 Aug 2018via mobile
Poor value for money. Overpriced for the size & standard of rooms. Bathroom shabby & tiles missing off bath panel. Breakfast items all dry in our Full English. Would rather have gone down to Weatherspoons with other of our guests. Third of the price & probably cooked far better. Lift took forever & really not impressed with our stay.

Will not be returning.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 28 Aug 2018
Dear dkhhaines54,
I am sorry to read your review and to hear you did not enjoy your stay. As a city centre hotel located so close to shops, restaurants and many of Bristol's most interesting attraction we are competitively priced. With a range from our Deluxe Suites down to our single rooms we can offer something for a range of price points.

Having said that I am sorry to hear you found the bathroom shabby, the replacement tiles for the bath have been ordered and we are refurbising many of our bathrooms throughout of the hotel to ensure they are brought up to the highest standard.

I must say I am surprised to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast, it is usually praised by our guests so I have followed up your comments with our restaurant team.

I would love to speak to you about your stay so that I can get more direct feedback about your stay and how we can improve. As an independent hotel this is so important to us. I haven't managed to find your booking on our system so if you would like to speak to me please give me a call on 01179 254000.

£106
5.1 miles from The Berkeley Square Hotel
Free parking
View more hotels in Bristol
1,163 results
All reviews complimentary sherry basement bar quiet square bowl of fruit ground coffee loose leaf tea little touches secure parking excellent breakfast one night stay comfy bed lovely room visiting bristol university decanter clifton beckley
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed in one of the suites and all I can say is WOW.
The venue itself is perfect and I had such a pleasant stay.
We liked the whole “artistic/rustic” vibe that much we booked our wedding venue here for in the Summer 2019.
I can’t recommend the place enough and will obviously definitely be coming back. :)
Very happy customer,
Mel ❤️

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear Melanie,
Thank you for your lovely review! I am so thrilled that you loved your stay in one of our deluxe suites. Our team worked so hard on creating the perfect interior so it is great to hear that you liked the decor and feel of the place.

We can't wait to have you back next year!

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Our first room on the second floor overlooked a bar. We'd specifically asked for a quiet room (no such thing at the weekend) so immediately asked to be moved. We were put in a 3rd floor room overlooking the square. Friday night, mostly ok except for the high temperature, but with the two small windows open and the provided fan things were bearable.

The problem came on Saturday night. The members club downstairs is clearly (very clearly... very, very clearly) audible from the 3rd floor. I write this, wide awake at 11pm and looking forward to little sleep tonight as I listen to a rendition of Queen's Don't Stop Me Now blaring out from the club downstairs. This hotel on a Saturday night is only good if you're in your 20s in the club downstairs getting drunk and looking forward to going to bed at 4am. If I hadn't enjoyed a meal and a drink this evening I'd be checking out, telling my credit card company to cancel the whole booking (now I see why they ask you to pay up front... beware!) and driving home; I'd get exactly the same amount of sleep and at least be at home instead of in this cachophonous hell.

So beware. You will read a mixed set of reviews for this hotel, but if you want peace and quiet, cherish your sleep (and let's face it that's mostly what a hotel is for) and it's a weekend then abandon all hope and book somewhere else.

So now I have the prospect of a 5 hour drive home tomorrow having had little sleep because of the club, in the basement, of the Berkeley Square Hotel in Bristol.

So, do yourself a favour and drop a big hint to the owners... book somewhere else!

Oh, and the fan failed after one night's use.... sums this place up!

1  Thank Stuart V
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Dear Stuart,

I was extremely concerned to read this review this morning and I have tried to get in touch with your partner and have replied to her email to properly discuss all the issues you faced.

I am so sorry that you were disturbed by noise. After past guest feedback we have done a huge amount of work to ensure that guests will not be disturbed by noise from events. However this weekend I can see that our policies were not properly adhered too. I can only apologise that this was the case and that it impacted on your weekend. This is very rare as we have a very strict policy which ensures that our guests can usually have a relaxing stay.

I have followed up your comments with our team here to ensure that this level of noise disturbance does not happen again. I look forward to hearing from yourself and your partner soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2018

We last stayed here about three years ago and really enjoyed it. Our most recent visit was very disappointing. For £130 a night we were expecting a large room with a decent view. What we got was a room like the cupboard under the stairs and lots of noise from the bar, which was actually closed to patrons due to a private function. The bathroom was poorly lit and the bedroom carpet stained.
The TV on the wall was on a slant and there was no remote control for it.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank simonpN8070JO

Dear Simon,
I am so disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Whilst many of our rooms have a view over the beautiful green square unfortuanately we cannot guarantee a view with every room. However we are always open to requests and we sent you over a courtesy email which gives the chance for guests to indicate if they would like a view.

I am so sorry however that you didn't like the room, I am looking at ways to ensure to improve including a carpet refit. I must apologise that there wasn't a remote control, I have now ensured that it has been replaced. We do have a 24 hour reception who are always ready to help with any issues such as this.

I do hope that you can return to us for a third visit and once again experience the hotel in a good light. We are always trying to improve and take guest feedback extremely seriously. If you would like to discuss your stay any further please give me a call on 01179 254000.

Reviewed 10 August 2018

I stay here regularly and it has a great balance between affordability and excellent service. The fruit bowl and biscuits in the room is a nice touch and the staff are always friendly and helpful. High quality Elemis toiletries set the tone. Can get a bit warm without air con in high summer.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jdevlin

Thankyou for your great review! As a small independant hotel your feedback is very imporant to us and helps us to grow. I will pass on your lovely comments to our staff.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Elmis toiletries, we love them too!

Unfortunetly we are not able to install aircon as the hotel is in a listed building but we do provide fans in every room to cool the room down.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!

Kind regards
Sarah

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on Friday. We had a work event in the Botanist, a matter of feet from the hotel so it was absolutely perfect for us.
There’s a private, secure garage, just down the road which was a nice touch, but expensive at £12 a night. However, when street parking would have cost far more, it was extremely convenient for us.
The hotel frontage is smart and the lobby is small but clean, modern and welcoming. We were checked in quickly and stayed on the third floor. We asked for a city view but actually found that we had a view of a brick wall (which we found was a meeting place for what seemed to be every seagull in Bristol, and with cracked, single pane stained glass windows, it did not make for a nice lie-in...)
The room and bathroom were tiny (I understand spacious rooms are hard to come by in the city) but they were clean and comfortable. Elemis bathroom products, a small bowl of fruit, tea and coffee, a small decanter of Bristol Cream and some biscuits were a lovely touch. There was a hairdryer, minibar (we didn’t use it) and desk in the room, which was handy.
The room was tired and in need of a (better than the one already used) decorator: Cracks all over the walls, ceiling and aforementioned windows with what may have been water marks from an old leak, were disappointing, as was the itchy military-type woollen blanket, on the bed.
The street outside was very noisy, as was music from somewhere in the hotel or nearby. I was grateful to have been so close to our venue though so understood that it may have been in a busy location.
It wasn’t bad for £88 inc parking but I definitely wouldn’t say it’s a 4*
We didn’t eat in the hotel but breakfast is £18.50 or £12.50 if you book in advance.
We’d stay here again if we had another event, close by.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank Emma C
Poppy M, Manager at The Berkeley Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear Emma,
Thank you for your review. As an independent hotel we rely on guest feedback to help us improve so it's always great to hear from our guests.

I hope you enjoyed the event in the Botanist, as you say we're just across the road as well as being close to lots of other bars and restuarants on Park Street and the Clifton area.

Our private garage is a covered and secure carpark in the city centre, in an area where it is difficult to find parking we offer this at a lower rate than the surrounding carpark so £12 is actually a very competitive price.

I am happy to say that room 35, the room that you stayed in was repainted last week so is looking fantastic. I do apologise that you were not given the view that you asked for, we take requests at no extra cost and always accomodate them where we can, however this cannot always be guaranteed.

I do hope that you're back in Bristol soon for another event and can come and stay with us. I would recommend booking the breakfast as the £12.50 price includes a buffet, an a la carte option aswell as tea or coffee and really is a treat!