“Fantastic hotel, well worth a stay.”

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, well worth a stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here on the 01/01/13 for one night after shopping in Bristol and didn't really know what to expect as although the reviews were mainly good they were some mixed ones. We arrived in the hotel to be very politley greeted by the reception staff and check in was very simple and we were delighted to be told we had been upgraded from a king standard room to an king executive room free of charge so our stay had started off very well indeed.

We were informed of all we needed to know and headed up to our room. We also requested a quiet room near the front of the building ( as other comments suggested it can be noisy near the back due to a nightclub)and they fully listened to this as we were in an excellent room at the very front of the building.

The room really exceeded our expectations. It was modern, clean and contained all of the amenities you would need for a hotel stay including a DVD player, Iron, ironing board and much more. The room was spotless no complaints there at all.

The bathroom had a rain shower, handheld shower and jet bath. When we first entered the room we noticed while looking in the bathroom that the bath plug was missing. My boyfriend went down to reception to ask about this and by the time he came back up in the lift, a hotel member who had taken the stairs was already at our room coming to help and resolve this, we were impressed with this excellent service. The gym was also a great touch.

Overall such a brillant hotel and would certainly return and its top of our list of hotels if we were to return to Bristol.

Room Tip: room 620 is lovely
Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 4 May 2016
Hello EmilyEllen,

Thank you for your comments in regards your recent stay.

I have shared your comments with the entire team.

We would love to welcome you in the near future.

Regards,

Tiago Camacho
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stairs and Disabled lift (do use it), lead from parking space to Security Desk. Security agent there was `on the ball`, friendly and helpful as were the other two we later met during our short (New Years Eve) one night stopover.
After Security there is another lift around the corner taking you one floor up to Reception, without a pass card you cannot (in the lift) go past the Reception floor (floor 2).
Reception staff were a little unsure about a couple of questions, one being what time is breakfast!
Pass card now available you insert it into the appropriate receptacle (inside the lift),withdraw it, then press your floor number and up you go.
Room was spacious very clean and overall very comfortable. En-suite was modern without being spacious. Great tele with, nearly all, Freeview channels.We had missed the large sign lower down that says you can upgrade for a fee, I think it was £10 at the time.

Being New Years Eve a hotel party had been arranged. It was lovely to see children involved but probably not if you anticipated an adults only `do`. Drinks, for us, relatively expensive, a 250ml wine and a small martini well over £9.00, two halves of Grolsch £4.50.

A near undisturbed nights sleep, considering the party.

Buffet breakfast was superb, especially the beef sausages, but, with a few cold items like the fried eggs. Charge for b'fast was £10 when paying at Reception night before.

Duty manager who we got to speak to was approachable, informative and friendly. She was hands on managing festivities and staff and so it showed.

Overall a very pleasant time was had. We had a discounted rate thanks to RAC membership, therefore value for money was excellent.

Overnight parking, with hotel discount was £10, do get your parking ticket stamped before leaving reception.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you would like and see if they can accommodate.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear 151Mike151,

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your stay.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Happy New Year

James Coombe
Reservations Manager
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for a night in April with a group of friends and a night in December with my Husband.

For the price, the hotel is great, very modern looks like it has recently been refurbished, you could easily pay double to stay in a hotel of similar standard elsewhere. The breakfast is good, buffet style, but I wouldn't say it's worth paying the extra for.

The location is great, directly opposite Cabot Circus and Broadmead for shopping and eating and only a short walk to the Hippodrome and bars on the waterfront. Cheap car parking too, £10/night, at the NCP next door.

Only reason I deducted a point was that on our recent stay we were given an adjoining room, which we didn't require and the door between the rooms let in a lot of noise from the family who were staying next door. So definitely ask for a room without this.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Jackie M,

Thank you for your comments in regards your recent stay.

I have shared your comments with the entire team.

We would love to welcome you in the near future.

Regards,

Tiago Camacho
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

I'm not a hotel snob, but when it's advertised as 4* I do expect a certain level of near-luxury and rarely get it. Many 4* hotels don't completely measure up, but this one definitely delivered on the most basic level: i.e. the room you've paid money for. Think 'very posh Travelodge' and you've just about nailed it.

I suspect I was given a free upgrade to an 'executive' room as the room I had was very plush, but that's just my suspicion, they didn't mention an upgrade when I arrived. It's a brand new hotel, so naturally benefits from modern conveniences: posh bathroom, with a 'wet room' shower (but no bath), and snazzy toiletries; very comfy bed with a varied selection of pillows; MP3 player dock next to the bed; AV socket panel on the wall for USB, VGA, HDMI, RCA stereo, composite & component(!) video, etc. all connected to the 37" HDTV, so if you brought your laptop with a load of films to watch then you're in luck; air con that actually works and isn't noisy. 30 mins free wifi per day was enough for a bit of web browsing, and city centre mobile signals were fine for 3G anyway.

I arrived at 9pm on New Year's Eve and the bar was playing very loud music (it was audible from my room but thankfully I was going out anyway, and it was all finished by the time I arrived back to the hotel at 5am, but there were a lot of teenagers still running up and down my corridor at that time! All quiet by 5:30. No stamina these kids!)

The hotel layout is very confusing (external entrance on Ground, hotel reception up on 2nd floor but with no signage, lifts always stop at 2 even if you don't need them to)

Conversations with reception were brief -- could hardly hear over the loud music when I arrived -- but informative and helpful and she knew where the nearest Wetherspoon was so I could get a cheap hangover-curing fry-up on New Year's Day.

Parking multi-storey is adjoined to the hotel and quite reasonable at £10 per night, pay on checkout but no requirement to leave the car park at checkout, which is very useful if you're planning any sightseeing in Bristol and want somewhere to stow the car.

I didn't take advantage of anything else at the hotel so can't comment on e.g. bar or restaurant, but you're in the city centre so it's not like you need to eat there if you don't like it. At £15+ for a main course, and £4+ for a beer, I wouldn't bother unless it's on expenses!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Dear baldmosher,

Thank you for posting a review following your stay with us over the new year period.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and wish you all the best for 2013

Best regards

James Coombe
Reservations Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

I thought my room was brilliant, I believe it was a superior it had everything we wanted and more. Location was good price was good

The only let down was the receptionists lack of caring. They were like machines "computer says no" while I have no complaint as such I found their manor a real shame as I really loved the hotel.
I felt like each communication was a script and their was a problem if you went free style.

A massive recommendation tip from. Me to the hotel is when a guest is checking out, ask of they need their car parking ticket validated. It is such a pain to forget and have to go back up the stairs back in line to get it sorted.

Good luck to the team I really hope they find their love for their job.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Eleanor S,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay especially that you liked our facilites and prices.

I would like to look into your comments further and I would really appreciate if you could contact us on reservations@hibristolcity.co.uk so we can get more details from you.

Kind Regards

Andrea Eldridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Little bit surprised at the such high ratings given by other reviewers. There is certainly nothing wrong with this hotel, the rooms are good and clean, good selection of tv channels, nice enough bathroom but the service was distant and poor quite frankly, the food was the worst I have experienced in any hotel and it just felt generic with zero personal touches. Not a bad hotel but not really a good one either.

• Stayed December 2012
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Dear Ngrrk,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.

I am pleased that you found our room clean and the hotel central.

We take all reviews very seriously but order to be able to come back to you on the remaining comments, please forward me further details of your stay .

Could you please email us on reservations@hibristolcity.co.uk so it can be further investigated.

Kind Regards

Andrea Eldridge
Bath
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

I accidentally booked this hotel as a Top Secret hotel through lastminute.com. I was hoping to get the Bristol Hotel or Mercure Brigstowe from the Top Secret description...Oh well!

In fairness this hotel is much more modern and stylish on the inside than the 1960s awful grey concrete exterior, we found the room clean and comfortable, and were pleased to have a small fridge. The rainforest effect shower was excellent, and the bed was perfect - kingsize (I think) with a firm and comfortable mattress. I think the hotel must be soundproofed, because we couldn't hear any outside noise, despite being very near a busy main road, although when the occupants of the next room slammed their door, our wall moved!

We liked the large modern TV, although they could do with a full selection of Freeview channels - they only have some. No showercaps, moisturiser, biscuits, wine glasses or herbal tea at this four star hotel, which was a pity. Other Bristol hotels of the same grading offer these - even the Ramada which is the most knackered and basic four star chain hotel in Bristol!

On the room service menu, a cheese omelette and chips (£10.45) was more than an 8oz rump steak and chips (£8.95), which I found curious.

Despite some good points, we unfortunately found the service somewhat lacking. On check-in, there was a large group of young guys running up and down past reception from the bar, whooping and swearing - despite three unsmiling male receptionists being present, nobody said anything to check their behaviour, which I could still hear when I was going up in the lift! There were also briefly 2 or 3 drunken men running up and down the corridor at midnight during one night of our stay. I was checked in very quickly, not told anything about breakfast, gym, that I was entitled to 30 mins free Wi-Fi etc. This information is actually all on Channel 999 on the TV, but it would have been nice to be made aware of this fact upon check-in, as it was our first stay.

Be aware this hotel likes you to check out at 11am SHARP if you are not a Priority Club member. I rang Reception on the last morning of our stay to see if I could arrange a slightly later check out (Channel 999 on the TV advises that late check-outs are available at the hotel's discretion). After about 20 rings, a harassed sounding woman answered and said as I wasn't a Priority Club member, I would be charged for staying after 11am...as they needed to "get in and clean the room" (!) I asked again if we could stay until just 12, as our train went at 1pm. With the greatest reluctance, she grudgingly conceded she could "let us" stay on for free until 12. Really unfriendly and curt, despite my being polite throughout the call. This actually left a nasty taste in my mouth, as most other Bristol hotels have 12 as their standard check-out time, and as long as you don't take the mick, are quite happy to let you stay an extra hour or so if required. It felt like now they had the money (almost £200 for 3 nights, if you're interested) we could GET OUT!

Despite graciously being granted the favour of a late check out and having a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, a cleaner attempted to barge into the room an hour later at 10:50am without knocking. Luckily the chain was on the door, or that could have been somewhat embarassing.

The irony was that when we went down at 12:05 to check out, the desk was toally unmanned. When the receptionist finally ambled out with no apology for keeping us waiting, we were not asked about our stay, did not receive a smile, or anything more than the most perfunctory communication.

We may have caught them on a bad weekend, but in my opinion Bristol has much better to offer in this price bracket. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Dear CherryBath,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am pleased to hear that you liked your room accommodation. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It seems like we fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced with our hotel staff. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M