“Ok.....but”

Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Ok.....but”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Thought it would be nice to stay in a local hotel rather than struggle with taxi's at this time of year. The room was nice (adequate). The staff were friendly enough. The room was showing a bit of wear and tear and I thought the fitted wardrobe was VERY dated for an hotel that has not really been open that many years really. I also found the sound proofing not up to standard. I left the party early (just after midnight) as I am still recovering from recent surgery, hoping to get a good nights sleep. I could hear the party music two floors below me and also street noise was above tolerant levels. Poor sound proofing for a modern hotel. I have used a Holiday Inn right by the runway at Heathrow and never heard a plane take-off or land!!! The good part of this hotel as the breakfast - very good indeed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Wannabeaussie,

Thank you for your comments on your stay especially that you found our room nice and staff friendly.

Regarding the feedback on the furnishing and sound proofing I would appreciate if you could contact me on the hotel number 0117 924 5000 to get some further details to investigate.

Andrea Eldridge
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Cam, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel is lovely! The room was very modern and comfy with a small balcony, big tv, big bath, great shower/hand shower and tea and coffee. We paid for breakfast with the room and it was lovely, great choice and delicious! The hotel is perfectly situated for what bristol has to offer. Cabot circus is a 2 minute walk and it only takes 10 minutes to walk to the harbour. Only a couple of bad points: the waiter on our first morning was very rude when we were trying to explain that we had paid for breakfast at the time of booking, but the waiter the next day was fantastic and really friendly. Secondly the lifts are very annoying, they always stop at floor 2 regardless of the button you have pressed and when we were going up to floor 7 people got in at floor 2 and pressed 0 and it took them there first then took us back to 2 then 7, it's not major but it happened nearly every time. Last thing was 2 lots of key cards stopped working but that wasn't major and they quickly sorted it. My bad points do not affect my stay too much. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Josie P,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay including our facilites and services.I will make sure I will pass them to the relevant departments.

It was lovely to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us and that you were already planning to return.

Looking forward to welcoming your back.

Andrea Eldridge
Deputy General Manager
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Should and could be so much better, have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inns, so know what to except, but lack of attention by some staff has made our decision not to stay at this hotel again when visiting Bristol. Stayed one sat night, yes rooms modern, but they are starting to show signs of wear and tear. Mold in shower, stains on net curtains and carpets and a slight smell of sewage coming from bathroom. Asked for quiet room and given one at back of hotel on 5th floor, everyone on that floor had to walk past our room to and from the lift, and two night clubs in streets nearby, so very load music until 4 in the morning. Bar tender did not know what whiskey was!! hard to beleive but tried to give us 3 different sorts of brandy first, then when my husband said no scotch, he offered us Jamesons! We ended up having to point to a bottle! Very very slow service at lunch even though only three tables in use, loads of staff just not doing anything and not interested! Because of this and also the price did not bother having breakfast. Sorry Holiday Inn but this was not your usual standard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on line. Clearly from reading your feedback your experience was not indicative of our normal high standards and for this I would like to apologise to you personally.

Whilst I acknowledge we have a lot more customer service training to complete and is an on-going process, I was more sad to learn of any cleanliness issues you encountered. As a hotel we are often praised for our level of cleanliness and I can only describe this as a one off isolated incident, However please accept my apologies for this oversight.

As with most review websites, they provide very little detail in regards to your actual stay date and room number, therefore I would be most grateful in you could contact me at you earliest convenience so I can obtain further details of your stay. I can be contacted on 0117 924 5000 or via email gm@hibristolcity.co.uk

I look forward to speaking with you and hopefully I will have a chance to restore your faith within the hotel.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed here with family for 3 nights in early December. Great location in the city centre, just a couple minutes walk from the main shopping district. Walking distance to train station and airport bus stops right outside hotel. Parking is easily accessible, next to the hotel.

The hotel is modern inside and well furnished.

Although no pool, there is a well equipped multi-gym, with modern machines with individual TV screens and docks for I-pods, mp3's etc which overlook the city centre.

The breakfast was very good with a great selection of of Hot & Cold food, the hot food was replenished in batches regularly, if you did have to wait for an item it was fresh.

Overall a great venue and base to explore the city for the weekend.

The only gripe was the booking / check in / check out - Although I was not responsible for it for our party, it did seem to be one problem after another and was not as straight forward as it should have been. From what I saw the staff were sympathetic and rectified the situation as best they could, but you still don't expect these errors from a quality chain like Holiday Inn, The rest of the stay.I expect this was not a common occurrence, and would not be put off booking with Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: If you can get a Superior Room with King Bed, it is well worth it. Large room with snuggle sofa /cha...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review. I was happy to read you enjoyed our great location and took advantage of all the great facilities the hotel has to offer. Please accept my apologies for any oversight during your check in process, although I was pleased to note our reception team rectified any issues you had.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back in the future and from all of us at the hotel have a great Christmas.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed for the weekend at this modern looking (on the inside) Holiday Inn. Rooms have been done up recently and are to a good spec. Service as good (breakfast guy really friendly), it is across the road from major shopping centre and restaurants etc. However, I stayed two nights and breakfast for two people was £40!!! Are you kidding? This alone will make me think twice before booking again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and effort to review our hotel. I was pleased to read you had a great stay. As you correctly mentioned our breakfast offering is £10 per person, however we have a number of different rates available at the hotel including bed and breakfast. We also offer an advance purchase bed and breakfast rate that has a 20% discount. I would recommend to get the best possible rate to book direct with the hotel as we offer a best price guarantee.

Once again thank you for your review.

Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Had to stay in Bristol overnight on a work trip and we were all sent to the Holiday Inn. The hotel is lovely and has great facilities. The bedrooms were clean and have everything you need and a hole in the wall for every gadget that you can think of carrying around with you. My only issue was they were not overly organised for many people at dinner in the bar and forgot my meal, however, when it finally arrived it was delicious! Breakfast was lovely too and the Reception staff and Concierge were really helpful and very friendly!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post an on line review, Although I was happy to read all the positive comments, naturally I tend to focus on the negative ones, please accept my apologies for any service issues however I was glad to see you found our staff friendly and helpful.

I do hope you will come back and visit us again in the future.

england
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Took my staff for our Xmas party and we all stayed at the hotel ,the hotel access from the car park is awkward ad very confusing and the reception staff need training,they have customer issues .our Xmas party night was very disappointing ,badly organised, and very poor staff ,they have no catering training ,getting wine was an issue ,service was chaos 4 meals served were about6 mins ahead of the veg ,the rest off us sat with no food and after the others had eaten we got ours but had to eat their cold veg ,I asked. For fresh ,which was very reluctantly chucked on the table..my veg Wellington was cremated out Side uncooked inside ,service at the bar was from a very rude Spanish barman and my cheese was plated up and left for hours before I got it ,it was curled up and celery brown on the edges .i asked for veg gravy but was told there was none. I spent the night with a bad stomach ,I'm a strict vegetarian I'm sure the roast potatoes were cooked altogether in beef fat ,something badly effected me ,
In all a poor experience this could easily be sorted out ,staff training Is really needed .

Room Tip: Ask for a superior , an upgrade ,but they are all nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I would like to personally apologise for any shortfalls during your service, as you will see from the many reviews on trip advisor this is not in line with our normal high standards. Currently I am aware you are liaising with our Academy team to reach a resolution.