“My new preferred hotel in Bristol”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“My new preferred hotel in Bristol”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Just a one night stay. Excellent. Top floor smoking room with balcony, large well-equipped room, modern and nicely decorated. Very good breakfast. Great bar, not expensive. Room rates not cheap though, but you get what you pay for! Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hi CottonZ
What a great review. I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I always pass on the comments to the team as they love to hear the feedback.
We pride ourselves on our rooms and service, and love that you found them excellent. I really look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is not up to normal Holiday Inn standards, booked an executive room with a sofa bed, meant to get bathrobes, papers, minibar etc, none in the room. The room was not as clean as it could have been. The bar and lobby at this hotel are on the 2nd floor, and is merged into one, which really doesn't make for having a relaxing atmosphere if you want to head back to the hotel for a few drinks, there are lifts coming and going which beep loudly and because of the layout, the area to sit and drink is like a through fare. Also for those of us who still smoke, be aware you have to go downstairs and hang around on the pavement to have a cigarette. Although they advertise a 24 hour bar, it was evident, even around midnight on a Saturday night that the barperson was keen to get away, it is off putting when you are made feel uncomfortable asking for another drink.
Breakfast was also a disappointment, the fruit salad certainly looked like it had seen better days, the cooked breakfast was not fabulous and the general selection was very poor for a Holiday Inn.
I booked this hotel for a bit of luxury, booking their supposed best room and was pretty disappointed. The hotel is on a busy roundabout, and if you are staying there on your own, be aware that to get back to the hotel of a night time you need to go through a subway which invariably seems to have several drunks hanging around in it.
Certainly I have stayed at better Holiday Inns that this, and would suggest you will get much better value for money if you stay elsewhere in Bristol.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi Quirkyclare

I’m really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

Please be assured that I have investigated fully the issues in regards to the non-attentive bar staff during the nights, and can assure you that corrective measures have been taken to stop this from happening again.

I am sorry that you feel the breakfast was below standards. We pride ourselves on our fresh and above standard offerings, including fresh omelettes, pancakes , black pudding , fried bread and many more.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss further

My Contact details are Deputy@hibristolcity.co.uk or 01179 245000

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel as we were a party of five so required a twin room and a room to sleep three, of which there was not much choice in Bristol for the dates we wanted.

The room for three was set up and ready for us with extra towels when we got there. It was a very large room and well equipped with a nice modern bathroom.

The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is that the lobby/reception is heavily glazed and it made it very hot while waiting to check in and as we also wanted to stay and drink in the bar, the heat was an issue. I'm not sure if the air conditioning just wasn't on, or high enough, but it should have been a lot cooler

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hi Chele801

Sorry you found the reception and bar area warm. We have discussed this at our managers meeting and can assure you that corrective measures are being put in place in order to resolve this issue.
I am extremely delighted that you found our rooms spacious and modern and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Pleasant staff, clean rooms, comfy beds. We had a room that faced the rear so not a great view. Would stay here again. Reasonable value for money. Did not eat at hotel so cannot comment on restaurant.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Urbanfox28.
I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I always pass on the comments to the team as they love to hear the feedback. Sorry you didn’t get the view you wanted. When you are ready make return visit please contact me directly on 01179245000 or deputy@hibristolcity.co.uk and I will ensure you get the room with the best view available. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on business. I was given a smoking room on the 7th floor, great view nice balcony, but had to keep the balcony door open most of the time as the smell of tobacco even as a smoker myself was over powering.

On arrival we checked in without a fuss, and went to our rooms. Having a smoking room, meant we had larger rooms than colleagues who didn't who were quite jealous. However, the remote control of my TV was missing, and I didn't have the complimentary bottles of water my colleague had an identical room.

My first night's sleep was awful, due to heavy rain pelting down on the french balcony doors which kept me awake most of the night. Luckily my second night's sleep was better.

The food was average in the restaurant. Both evenings I had steak frites. On the first night the steak was overcooked, but the quality of the meat meant that it didn't matter. The second night the steak was perfectly cooked but the meat was very fatty.

The breakfast I had in the restaurant was great. However when I had breakfast sent to my room it was an hour late and not what I ordered.

For every great element of this hotel, was equalled by a bad experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hi Griggs79
Thanks for your review, we really appreciate the feedback. I’m glad you liked your spacious room, but I apologise that items were missing. Unfortunately the South of England was hit by severely bad weather during February, and the rain hitting the windows did make quite a noise. We usually ventilate our smoking rooms by opening the doors to allow fresh air to circulate, again this wasn’t possible due to the horrendous rain.
I’m really glad you dined with us, Sorry the steak wasn’t cooked to your liking the first day, but now we know how you like it, we will make it perfect for you every time. As for the room service being late, this really dose concern me and I have put actions in place to ensure this does not happen again.
I look forward to seeing you again and making your experience a 5 star one.
Take Care

Ceredigion, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, check in great and Platinum status noted was very kindly upgraded to one of the magnificent suites. Room 610! It was smashing in every way! Just one thing though, to fill the huge bath took 45mins and that didn't include the 15 minutes working out how to turn the tap on!!
Had drinks prior to dinner in the bar. Great staff, ok prices I thought. Great place to sit and watch the Bristol population pass by!
Had dinner in the very comfortable restaurant. Had a fab meal with great wine all served by Maria and Tom who were brilliant!
Then back to the room sorry I meant suite! for the best sleep in ages. Lovely huge comfortable bed,
I've now stayed in many Holiday Inns all over the country and this has to be the best. Knocking the Holiday Inn at Huntington into 2nd place and Gloucester into 3rd.
Just one slightly annoying thing that happened was that on check in we asked for a late check out which we got til 12. Then after breakfast we again confirmed with reception if it was still ok to have the room til 12. We were told it was. At 8:30 I had to drive my wife to a meeting and when I returned to the Hotel at about 9:30 I found that the room had been closed and already made up ready for the next guest!! I must say that wasn't good. So I was unable to work in the room and had to do it in the reception area! But never mind even though this little hiccup happened I still rate this Hotel as the very best so far! Thanks for the great stay.:-D

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hi Phil1957

Awesome 5 star review.

As they say good things come to those who wait........ Sorry it was so long............ but as you know its less of a bath, more of a small swimming pool. We installed the TV in the bathroom to cover such circumstances.

610 is a lovely room, and is a favourite amongst our regular guests...... I think the PS3 and Mars Bar helps that.......

I love to see that we've kicked out brother and sisters down into second and third.

I'm really sorry that we messed up with your late check out. Ill have a chat with the team to make sure this doesn't happen again.

I really hope to welcome you back soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed 2 nights over the New Year period, & booked a Suite. Excellent room rate booked direct with the Holiday Inn website.

I have delayed adding this review as have been waiting for a problem to be resolved with the IHG Rewards scheme which I joined at Check In. Thankfully; this has now been sorted out.

The Suite is a great sized room, and our initial reactions were very good……….BUT the room was starting to show signs of wear and tear (marks on the hard flooring, chips on edges of furniture, curtains that had shrunk - although the blackout lining hadn’t.

Cleanliness was high, with the exception of a long stray hair left in the bath.

On New Years Eve, we attended the Dinner & Disco held in the Restaurant. The quality of food was, in my opinion, excellent. The service was bar none, especially the lady who appeared to be in overall charge; unfortunately her name now escapes me. The only problem we had was that towards the end of the night the bar ran out of Brandy. An earlier review said that the choice of music for the disco wasn’t the best. I have to disagree, as we found it very suitable considering that the people attending ranged so widely in ages. We have already recommended this as a great place to celebrate New Years Eve so am hoping that the format remains similar. Looking forward to being able to celebrate the next New Years Eve here to, so will be keeping an eye out for when we can book.

Check In & Check Out was friendly and efficient.

I’m glad that I was able to get this review added, as now looking forward to our next stay at this hotel this coming weekend.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a Suite