“5 star wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Bristol, United Kingdom
“5 star wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We would like to thank ALL staff for making our son's wedding such a spectacular success.

Service, food, ambiance, love and care were all evident. Everything we asked for was accomplished with smooth efficiency on the day. Everyone, without exception, complimented the reception & evening buffet. Food was well cooked, plenty of everything, served on hot plates, and obviously prepared well – even down to the freshly baked, hot crusty bread rolls served with room temperature butter (I hate being given frozen pats of butter which takes an age to thaw out properly before you can spread it)!

Yes, we had a few hiccups getting everything sorted but who doesn’t when trying to arrange a wedding? – communication (from all sides) is essential to make sure any plan succeeds. The actual day was everything parents could wish for and you certainly pulled out all the stops!

Thank you once again – your Wedding Packages are proof that weddings don’t need to bankrupt parents!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi Dcticker

What a fantastic review, this is what make us love our Job and I’m so proud of the team for making your son’s wedding such a memorable day

I have passed your comments and thanked them personally for all their hard work to make the day a success and memorable.

We would also like to extent our congratulations to the happy couple from all of the team here at the Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I first stayed here in November 2012, then in the spring of last year and I'm staying again at the end of this month.

The hotel is clean and well kept, which is always a plus when looking for somewhere to stay. Beds are big and comfortable, as are the rooms. The showers are fantastic, as is the bath.

Reception staff were great on both occasions, even checking to see if my room was ready when I tried to check in an hour too early on my second stay. They were also quick to change my room when I pointed out the room I had been allocated was not the room I booked.

I have had drinks in the bar on both stays, the bar staff always friendly and chatty. It's a great area to sit and just watch Bristol go by through the huge glass front of the hotel.

I've not eaten here though, always choosing to go across to Cabot Circus and visiting the many restaurants they have there. For my next visit I decided that I would stay and eat at the hotel, even if it was only breakfast. When booking on the IHG website I didn't have to option to include breakfast with my reservation (it doesn't seem to be available when booking on a 21 day advance tariff), but after going on to the Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre's own website I found a special offer for breakfast. Two adults can enjoy breakfast for just £15 instead of around £13pp. Bargain I thought, so contacted the hotel to see if I need to book in advance only to be told that there was no such offer available and that breakfast, if bought in advance was £10pp. Doesn't seem like such a good start to my next break here!

Room Tip: If you can, always choose a room type to the front of the hotel. It may cost you a little more but t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Whatsagoodname

Really glad that you’ve enjoyed your stays with us, and have chosen to come back. I’ve shared your feedback with the team, as we love to receive it.
Lots of our guests enjoy sitting watching the world go by of an evening with the views of Bristol, as well as taking our scenic lifts to get a view across the whole city.
I’m sorry that we have different information on the website. I am looking at getting this rectified as a matter of urgency.
When you arrive please ask for me so I can thank you in person.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I havent stayed in here for over a year with my company having tended to book me into the Mercure Holland House, but I was back in March and again found the hotel to be fantastic and a lot better than Mercure (which wasnt too bad itself)

The rooms are what you would expect from a brand higher up than Holiday Inn, massive bed, very comfortable, big tv, wonderful bathroom (some with bath, some just walk in shower) soft towels instead of sandpaper towels, great area to work in also.

The standard has not dropped at all since my previous stay in 2012 which has to be commended, same applies to the staff who were very helpful

Anyone considering this hotel please dont think its a standard holiday inn as its way above that standard.

Only negative is that the room rates are a bit more expensive than other hotels in Bristol

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Jason M
What a great review! I’m really glad that you have come back to us and that you said “The standard has not dropped at all since my previous stay in 2012”
I’ve shared your review with the team, and like me they were excited with your kind words.
I really look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Just a one night stay. Excellent. Top floor smoking room with balcony, large well-equipped room, modern and nicely decorated. Very good breakfast. Great bar, not expensive. Room rates not cheap though, but you get what you pay for! Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hi CottonZ
What a great review. I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I always pass on the comments to the team as they love to hear the feedback.
We pride ourselves on our rooms and service, and love that you found them excellent. I really look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is not up to normal Holiday Inn standards, booked an executive room with a sofa bed, meant to get bathrobes, papers, minibar etc, none in the room. The room was not as clean as it could have been. The bar and lobby at this hotel are on the 2nd floor, and is merged into one, which really doesn't make for having a relaxing atmosphere if you want to head back to the hotel for a few drinks, there are lifts coming and going which beep loudly and because of the layout, the area to sit and drink is like a through fare. Also for those of us who still smoke, be aware you have to go downstairs and hang around on the pavement to have a cigarette. Although they advertise a 24 hour bar, it was evident, even around midnight on a Saturday night that the barperson was keen to get away, it is off putting when you are made feel uncomfortable asking for another drink.
Breakfast was also a disappointment, the fruit salad certainly looked like it had seen better days, the cooked breakfast was not fabulous and the general selection was very poor for a Holiday Inn.
I booked this hotel for a bit of luxury, booking their supposed best room and was pretty disappointed. The hotel is on a busy roundabout, and if you are staying there on your own, be aware that to get back to the hotel of a night time you need to go through a subway which invariably seems to have several drunks hanging around in it.
Certainly I have stayed at better Holiday Inns that this, and would suggest you will get much better value for money if you stay elsewhere in Bristol.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi Quirkyclare

I’m really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

Please be assured that I have investigated fully the issues in regards to the non-attentive bar staff during the nights, and can assure you that corrective measures have been taken to stop this from happening again.

I am sorry that you feel the breakfast was below standards. We pride ourselves on our fresh and above standard offerings, including fresh omelettes, pancakes , black pudding , fried bread and many more.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss further

My Contact details are Deputy@hibristolcity.co.uk or 01179 245000

Kindest Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel as we were a party of five so required a twin room and a room to sleep three, of which there was not much choice in Bristol for the dates we wanted.

The room for three was set up and ready for us with extra towels when we got there. It was a very large room and well equipped with a nice modern bathroom.

The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is that the lobby/reception is heavily glazed and it made it very hot while waiting to check in and as we also wanted to stay and drink in the bar, the heat was an issue. I'm not sure if the air conditioning just wasn't on, or high enough, but it should have been a lot cooler

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hi Chele801

Sorry you found the reception and bar area warm. We have discussed this at our managers meeting and can assure you that corrective measures are being put in place in order to resolve this issue.
I am extremely delighted that you found our rooms spacious and modern and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Pleasant staff, clean rooms, comfy beds. We had a room that faced the rear so not a great view. Would stay here again. Reasonable value for money. Did not eat at hotel so cannot comment on restaurant.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Urbanfox28.
I’m really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I always pass on the comments to the team as they love to hear the feedback. Sorry you didn’t get the view you wanted. When you are ready make return visit please contact me directly on 01179245000 or deputy@hibristolcity.co.uk and I will ensure you get the room with the best view available. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.