“A good venue”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This hotel is in the heart of the shopping area and is well placed for transport links. The old city is also within walking distance. As you would expect from a Holiday Inn, the staff were friendly and efficient and the rooms were of an excellent standard. However, in the restaurant/bar area there were 7 big TV screens. In the mornings these were tuned to Sky news (luckily with the sound down) but it was difficult to find somewhere to eat breakfast where there was no a TV screen encroaching on your consciousness. We were unlucky to be staying in the hotel during a week when there was lots of sport happening, especially football and so every evening there was a meal deal to encourage people to come and watch the sport. Since we are not particularly interested in football, this meant that we did not eat in the hotel restaurant on any of the evenings (there are some lovely places to eat close by). I wonder how many guests choose not to eat in the restaurant because of the blanket TV coverage? When we returned each evening, it was not possible to have a drink in the bar area due to the football still being shown, so we sat in the reception 'lounge' and managed not to have to watch TV. It would seem sensible to have a TV free area so that the people who do not wish to watch sport can eat and drink in peace, whilst still allowing those who do, to do so. However, this was a relatively small inconvenience to us, but we would consider perhaps not staying here again in the season

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Hi none50

I’m very glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Lots of our guests love our location so close to Cabot Circus & the rest of the city.

I would like to thank you for your comments, myself and the Food & Beverage manager are looking at solutions to stop this being an issue for guests like yourself in the future.

I have shared your comments with the whole team, as we really appreciate your feedback.
We really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here for a wedding. Nice and relaxing, very efficient check in process. Impressive as usual. Slightly dated decor but otherwise OK. The bar is very pricy - grab a few bevvies from the local supermarket and enjoy in the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hi Bakul M

It’s great to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the hotel relaxing and the check in efficient.

I’m sorry you found the décor dated. This type of comment is very unusual for the hotel as you can see from our previous reviews due to the hotel only being 3 years old.

We really look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Had a really nice stay here over the weekend.

The hotel is really easy to find and the staff are really friendly and the room clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was really tasty! More than I could manage in fact.

I'm sure I will be back in the near future.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Anna P

It’s great to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Lots of our guests take advantage of our location so close to Cabot Circus & the rest of the city centre as well as our extensive breakfast offering.

I really look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location with good, comfortable rooms and a lovely breakfast.

However, on our arrival all of the positive attributes of this hotel were negated by the poor attitude of the male receptionist. On our arrival, he asked for a £50 deposit per person incase we "trashed the room." We were on a Hen Party but we are by no means people who do those sort of things and I was so insulted at his accusation that I was stunned.

During check out he was purposely being slow to avoid serving me and then twice failed to validate my car parking ticket correctly meaning that I was late for a prior engagement as I wasted 40 minutes in the car park.

An extremely poor attitude by one member of staff that resulted in us not enjoying the hotel for what it is - a good one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie1401
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hi Natalie1401

I’m truly sorry that your experience at check in was not a positive one, and I can only apologise.I am looking into this incident as a matter of urgency.

I can assure you no insult was intended in regards to the £50 deposit. This is the hotels policy in regards to all stag and hen parties staying in the hotel, and would have been explained at the time of booking.

I believe it was myself that came to assist you in the car park in the morning. I have passed your comments on to NCP whom own and operate the car park.

I would really appreciate it if you could call me to discuss your comments further. The hotel telephone number is 01179 245000

Thank you and take care.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This is our 2nd time staying in this hotel during the 2 occasions that we were in bristol. Location is great - just across the shopping belt and service is good. Bedrooms modern and v comfortable. Breakfast was good too. Despite all the compliment above,
I would like to give 3 1feedback for the management to note to up the ante and be a great hotel in my view.

1.Suggest that bedroom slippers be provided which is a norm for 4 to 5 star hotels in Asia and even in novotel bristol.
2. We stayed 4 nights in a superior room. We were give complimentary water for day 1 but not for day 2. So I dropped by the reception to check whether the water is provided daily or just for 1st day. The kind gentleman informed that it is the former and that he will check on it. This was repeated for the next 4 days and in the nd we received water for day 1 and 3 only.
3. We had dinner in the restaurant and the soup of the day -carrot soup was too watery and bland. Get yr chef to drop into primrose in Clifton for real hearty carrot soup;) do take this in good spirit pls.

All in all will I come back to stay again it is a definitely yes.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Hi wongmeishan

It’s great to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Lots of our guests take advantage of our location so close to Cabot Circus & the rest of the city centre.

I would like to thank you for your comments and I will be sure to take them on board and look into each of your suggestions in detail.

We really look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I've stayed a few times in the last couple of weeks, absolutely great.

I tend to miss the great post work check-in rush, each time I've parked pretty close to the hotel entrance on level 2 and walked straight up to the desk and checked-in without any hassle. I'm a Priority Rewards member so my paperwork is pretty easy as they have it all there, simply sign and off to my room.

Last week I stayed on the 7th floor with a balcony that looks over St James Barton Roundabout...unsurprisingly it's not quite Leicester Square but if you know and appreciate Bristol then at night there's a certain romance about being just above the majority of the other buildings...really enjoyed that!...and if you're wondering, no road noise up there.

The rooms are fabulous, I really like this hotel. They are spacious, recently refurbished and thus have everything. Warm and comfortable. Taking into consideration the cost, for a city centre hotel it's really very first class.

Thanks again, see you next week!

Room Tip: 7th floor at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hi Tom_p
What a great review! I’m really glad that you have been coming back to us and that you appreciate the benefits of being an IHG Rewards Club Member.

I’ve shared your review with the team, and like me they were bowel over with your kind words.
I really look forward to welcoming you back very soon, and please let me know when you arrive so I can thank you in person.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Good location, friendly staff and really good breakfast selection on offer. Parking is also really convenient although the car park is a little tight at times. We visited with our two young boys and it was great

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mrpreece81

Hi Mrpreece81

It’s great to see that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I’m always pleased to read reviews from our guests, especially when they comment on the friendliness of the team and quality of breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.