“A joyful place to stay and friend, funny staff.”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Newport, United Kingdom
“A joyful place to stay and friend, funny staff.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I only stayed for two nights and I was pleasantly surprised by the reception from the staff.
I did have one small problem but I was upgraded for FREE!!
Very professional indeed, not alot around these days.
I was having dinner and I managed to speak to the manager, I cant remember his name but he was the tallest person I have ever met, very funny and very courtious. I was given great information about the local area and of course most importantly where to go in the night.
A typical Holiday Inn, that will meet your needs.
Thank you to all the staff....and especially the manager I met, he really did make my day!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank J M
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hi J M
What a great review of the hotel! I’m really glad we managed to give you an upgrade.
It was myself that you spoke to in the bar, and I’m glad that I was able to help & entertain. I always make time to have a chat with guests & I hope my directions got you there in the end…
I’ve shared your comments with all the team. We love these kinds of reviews and appreciate all feedback.
I really look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Reading
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Myself and a friend stayed here on a Saturday night. We had booked a standard room but were given a suite which was amazing! One of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in inside the UK. Ordered room service which came in a reasonable amount of time but was not covered meaning it was verging on cool by the time it made it up to the sixth floor. After the food was delivered there was a delay in the cocktail and bottle of wine that we ordered which arrived about 10 minutes after the food totalling around 50 minutes wait. Upon receiving the bottle of wine and cocktail, I discovered that we had been provided with a completely different wine then what was ordered. Another 5-10 minutes later the correct bottle arrived.

Checking out in the morning was one of the worst experiences of checking out ever experienced. The queue to check out roughly took 30 minutes to get through which put us behind slightly but nothing major. A quick checkout system would be great!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael G
Hi Michael G
I would like to thank you for your comments and I apologise that the room service was below standard.It’s great to see you enjoyed your room & upgrade.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My company booked and paid for a training course which happened to be hosted at the Holiday Inn - horrendous experience!

We were due to start at 9am however as the room was not set up at all we had to wait for the hotel staff to do this- seems they did not know about us.

We then had to wait for additional furniture to be placed in the room to accommodate the correct number of delegates and furthermore throughout the day had to tolerate all the excess furniture from the previous event strewn throughout the room.

Needless to say the room was not cleaned and I ended up having to sit on a seat covered in glitter.

Initiallly we also had to wait for water glasses to be placed in the room which was another disruption to the day but more disappointly the water was not refreshed through the whole day- resulting in running out of water.

Lunch was not included in our day and despite many offerings close by; I regrettably chose to try the hotel restaurant. Another big mistake! Despite advising the waitress that I only had a maximum of 45 minutes for lunch-the chef failed to materialise any food within 40 minutes. I had to return to the conference on an empty stomach for the duration of the day. (in fairness the waitress did double check with the chef if he could deliver on this- he didn't!)

Due to the delay in starting our conference; the entire days intinery became rushed; reduced time for lunch and ended up finishing @6pm.

The only recommendation I can make is to avoid conferencing here and do not try the restaurant if you are in a hurry!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
BRSCC-FOM1, Conference and Events Sales Coordinator at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hi Gary S,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I wasn’t happy to hear about the issues that you encountered during your visit with us and would like to apologise on behalf of our team, this isn’t the level of service we aim to deliver and can assure you that this will not happen again.

Secondly, I was hoping to get more information regarding this booking as would like to help restore your faith in us.

If you could kindly provide me with the date you were conferencing with us and the name of the company you were visiting with, that would be much appreciated.

Alternatively, if you would like to contact us directly do discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me on 0117 924 0060 or you can drop us an email using academy@hibristolcity.co.uk’

Thank you and take care, Jade.

Jade Pendleton
Conference and Events Sales Coordinator
bristol
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I booked the hotel on a special deal and I am glad I did not pay full price. The hotel looks smart enough and I did have a large disabled room. The carpet was quite stained and not great. The door to my room broke but in fairness they fixed this quickly however the air con did not work and it was very stuffy. I came back looking forward to a cooling shower and had no towels, not even one which is a basic schoolboy error. The staff looked jaded and a bit fed up. The hotel is not awful and if you get a cheap deal it's fine but do not expect great service!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi Imlivid
I’m truly sorry that your experience was not a positive one, and I can only apologize. I assure you I am looking into this incident as a matter of urgency. This type of comment is very unusual for the hotel as you can see from our previous reviews. I would really appreciate it if you could contact me to discuss your comments further. The hotel telephone number is 01179 245000 and my direct email address is Deputy@hibristolcity.co.uk

Thank you and take care.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Convenient, well laid out, a few nice touches and superior to our normal chain hotel we go too. Quiet and comfy sleep. Nice shower. Fridge safe and ironing board available. Too much light in the room with the floor lighting and IPOD Dock....but did not try to switch off or dim the light. parking £10 for 24 hrs

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Devonrock
It’s great to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us and enjoyed the amenities we have to offer.

I have shared your comments with the whole team, as we really appreciate your feedback.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Located in city. Car park next door. Good restaurant. No bottles of water in rooms like other holiday inn. Bit of hassle checking in and again checking out as they said company had not paid, then after a 10 minute debate they found the company had paid !

• Stayed May 2014
Hi Outofthecity57
I would like to thank you for your comments and I apologise that the check-in was below standard
It’s great to see you enjoyed your meal in the newly re-branded Spot Kitchen & Bar.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were three persons and we booked a double room with a double bed and one sofa, unfortunately it was not sofa but a tiny armchair. I complained about this in reception and they could not do anything in order to satisfy us. So, because the armchair was tiny, I end up sleeping on the floor. This had a very bad impact for my holidays because the next day I was very tired.
I stayed unsatisfying for the hotel service and whole experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends