“Fantastic hotel”

Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed as a family 2children 4 and 6 and I have to say it was a lovely stay from the start we were looked after treated well lovely rooms, staff were so helpful and friendly!..... Restaurant was fantastic food was delicious and Agnes was a lovely and kind waitress.... Will definitely use this hotel again :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank donna b
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hi Donna B
What a great review!!!
I’m really glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us and enjoyed your food in the newly re-branded Spot Kitchen & Bar menu.
I have shared your comments with the whole team and Agnes, as we really appreciate your feedback.
We really look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the holiday inn. I was very surprised at the quality, as it was head and shoulders above most of the holiday inns that I've stayed at - significantly closer to a Crowne Plaza than the other Holiday Inns in fact. I would definitely recommend staying there - it's a great location for Cabot Circus and I don't have a bad word to say about it!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Haydonlawrence
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Hi Haydonlawrence
What a fantastic review of the hotel! I’m really proud that we were head and shoulders above most of the holiday inns that you have stayed in.
I’ve shared your comments with all the team. We love these kinds of reviews and appreciate all feedback.
I really look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I never walk into a restaurant that branches from a hotel chain, and walk out happy with the experience. The Spot was a surprising, clear exception to this rule. Boasting an eclectic mix of cuisines catering to all tastes, I had the Bristol Smashed Burger with beer battered onion rings inside, the type of thing that sets The Spot apart, bringing a trendy twist to an otherwise drudging area when it comes to eating. Good atmosphere with waiting staff always on hand and cheerful, highly recommend for family lunch or dinner out. I will certainly be visiting again, and next time I'm coming for those ribs recommended by John!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Walter24601
BRSCC-FOM1, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

What a fantastic review!
It’s great to see you enjoyed your recent meal in the newly re-branded Spot Kitchen & Bar.
I will second the recommendation for the ribs, as I also love them!
I have shared your comments with the whole team, as we really appreciate your feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back really soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I'm not usually fond of hotel restaurants but I was recommended to try this one while I was staying at the hotel and it definitely exceeded my expectations! The food was exceptionally good and it's always wonderful to have excellent service as well as excellent food. The dessert was especially my favourite - I loved the cheesecake served in jars, going to be trying to replicate that somehow at home! Coming back here again on my next visit to Bristol for sure!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Afnan H

Hi Afnan H
What a fantastic review!
It’s great to see you enjoyed your recent stay with us and enjoyed your meal in the newly re-branded Spot Kitchen & Bar.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I last visited the Holiday Inn in Central Bristol in March. It wasn't great it wasn't awful. I was quite looking forward to going back there. Big mistake.

The first member of staff I came across (the security guard) forced a flyer into my hand advertising the special Spot menu. This was to continue throughout the hotel with every piece of available space advertising, "3 course/ and a drink for £20". Last time they were just trying to get us to drink smoothies all the time.

On arrival reception staff seemed disinterested and just going through the actions. Who knows maybe they were having a long day, but so had I.

I requested a seventh floor room with a balcony so I could smoke out there, and was informed that I could no longer smoke in the room compared to my last visit. No big deal. In fact I don't like to smoke in hotel rooms. I wouldn't in my own bedroom, so why in a hotel.

On arrival to my room, I realised that this was the room one of my colleagues stayed in last time, but gone was the complimentary water, to be replaced by stains, chipped paint and general grot(see photos).

However it was nice to now have wifi for more than just emailing. Although if I hadn't had asked I would never have known. The speed was so poor that I didn't bother in the end though.

Anyway after a long day travelling, I decided to take a bath. After half an hour of waiting for the bath to fill, I had a long enjoyable bath, grabbed a towel only to find a strange green stain on it. Lovely... The next activity was to try and empty the bath. Mission Impossible as the plug switch was broken. I had to resort to leveraging it out with my tooth brush.

All clean dry and freshly dressed, I thought I would pop out on to the balcony, have a cigarette and see the views of Bristol. Well the view of Bristol was fab, but the balcony was disgusting. Fag buts everywhere, added together with pigeon and seagull feathers and muck. I know the hotel cannot force its customers to use the ashtray that is fixed to the wall, but they could at least sweep the floor and clean the glass screens that enclose each balcony.

Just before I headed out to dinner I thought I would try and secure some of my possessions in the safe. But guess what. It was broken...

In the restaurant the staff bent over backwards to help. Can't complain there. However the menu was disappointing. It has be relaunched since my last visit and felt considerably dumbed down. Burgers, ribs, potato skins etc. but done badly. In hindsight I should have popped across the road to the Beefeater in ether Premier Inn. The restaurant and all the other public areas of the hotel were also sweltering hot, and given that this wasn't one of the hottest days of the summer (overcast and drizzle in the air) I would have hated to have stayed there earlier in the month.

Next morning breakfast was disappointing. When I got there everything look limp. Surely it would be cheaper for them to cook to order then produce the amounts they do, which then need throwing away, when no one eats it.

Sadly I will no doubt return, not for the quality of the hotel, the food nor the rooms but for the central location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear griggs79
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is very comfortable and located 5 mins for the city centre. Rooms are big and stylish.
The building is not nice and is located by a busy round about, but sound proof.
Receptionists are friendly!!!
Ideally for business but not very romantic, but very affordable!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boyboytraveller

Hi Ricardo979
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
We really hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The hotel is central to Bristol, the staff are so very helpful, parking is great, we never had a problem parking in reserved bays, (this is a problem in Bristol) but we had none, especially the city centre. We did not actually eat there apart from one breakfast, it was good but the menu looked really good for lunch and dinner....would have loved to try the ribs!!!!! 10 out of 10

Room Tip: I rather feel all rooms are as good as they can be in a city Center.