“Bristol weekend”

Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This stay was the last one that Mercure disappointed me - following a run of problems with Mercure, see my other reviews, this one just took the biscuit. At best this is a company that is incompetent, on this occasion I was mislead and fobbed off when they lied about the rooms I was allocated.

The background to this trip; I booked the stay for my father and me as our Christmas get together since we don't get to meet up very often, I booked months ago and in the notes asked for two rooms next door to each other if possible. As I knew we would be staying, I booked their "no changes, no cancellations" rate and choose two Superior Rooms with River View.

Check-in was very pleasant, acknowledged that I was an Accor Le Club member and gave me the free drinks voucher. The receptionist said that they were able to meet the request for two rooms next to be interconnecting; I said I did not ask for interconnecting (I don't like interconnecting rooms as I find sound travels through them) but said great that we had two together and thanked them. The receptionist also booked us a taxi. So far, so good. I was feeling pretty happy to that point.

That's until we got to our rooms on the fifth floor. Why were our rooms on the left hand side, I've been many times before, river view is surely on the right?

So I checked the booking on my phone and it clearly stated and in bold lettering SUPERIOR ROOM WITH RIVER VIEW.

At no point had I been told at check-in that we didn't have the rooms I booked. It happened to me once before at Mercure Exeter and they said straight away AND gave me an immediate refund of the difference AND gave free drinks AND free parking AND a free upgrade to Privilege Room on the next stay. I wasn't happy at the time but they at least tried to sort it.

I called reception and they said they would look into it and call me back. I didn't hear in 5 mins and we were expecting to drop our bags off and go out, so I went to reception. There I was told that there were no Superior rooms left, even though I had paid for them, and that because I put in a special request (which their website says is not guaranteed anyway) that they did not have any interconnecting Superior rooms so they put us in Standard. I replied that I did not actually request interconnecting rooms, I asked for next door or near by if possible, and if there was any query then why didn't they call me or email me to clarify since I booked a couple of months ago (and you have my details from the booking and as a Le Club member, you've managed to send me a new card between booking and my stay). The response was that the computer allocates it; I was astonished that a computer system can interpret what was written on there. In fact, it can't so that was an UTTER LIE - believe me, I have helped build and develop a number of similar reservations systems and that technology does not exist, I wish it did.

I asked for the Superior rooms I paid for and was told I could not have them as they were fully booked. At this point, because I needed two rooms I held back from demanding my money back instantly. After putting me foot down I was given one Superior room but not both.

I then asked what about the refund as Superior costs £10 more. I was told I could have free breakfast. Well, I had already paid for breakfast at £8.95 - so even if I hadn't why should I "pay" Mercure Brigstow £1.05 for the immense privilege of them not giving me what I booked and what they confirmed in writing as a contract? I restated that I wanted the difference in price back, I was told that the manager would have to do that and that he was on a split shift. To be honest, I was expecting more than just my money back - clearly Mercure got it wrong, no two ways about it.

I went back after having gone out in Bristol and asked at reception to see the manager. The receptionist went off to find him, but she came back after a while and said that he said it was ok to get the £10 back. I didn't push the point that I asked to see the manager, clearly he is happier responding to Tripadvisor reviews on here than actually seeing guests and sorting out THEIR problems in the first place. Whilst the receptionist was friendly and efficient, I did feel that I was being made out to be the "baddy" for asking for the difference in price back. Clearly for not accepting their mistake, dare I say con, I was inconvenienced as much as possible.

I was given a receipt for £10 refund at check-out and the receptionist apologised again. At no point did this hotel try to make amends, nothing. ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM AND EVEN HAD TO PUSH FOR THAT. No goodwill gesture, no apology from a manager and in fact still no proper and/or honest explanation why I did not get the category of room booked and confirmed in writing that you took the money for long in advance. Clearly being a customer isn't high on the agenda and if you're a Le Club member, then be ready to be treated with contempt - again it's not the first time that I have found Mercure service lacking toward loyalty club members. I'm sure you'd have been most happy if I paid for a Superior room and just shut up and accepted Standard for the same price, "there's a good little customer".

I said I would not stay at Mercure again and queried how I redeem the points I currently have; that was a clue to use them on this stay and give me a refund so I could be gone from Accor all together. If that were done, or perhaps anything else, this review may not be here or be rather different... I feel this review is fully justified in the circumstances and I am advising other readers when planning their trip.

Your staff will tell you that throughout I was polite, but insistent as it was my right to be, and they would have been fully aware that I was disastified right up to the point of check-out. Perhaps I should have screamed and shouted and made sure everyone in the hotel knew, it certainly wouldn't have got me anything less than I had already.

Mr France, I would rather not hear any platitudes, clearly something has gone wrong, AGAIN. This is not the first time that Mercure have mucked up and this is not the first time that YOUR hotel has done so too. So I absolutely do not believe that this could be an isolated incident. In fact, during the stay where I had booking problems before because of your systems, I expected Mercure Brigstow to have done something like a free bottle of wine or mini bar filled; there are plenty of other hotels in Bristol and they earn their customers' loyalty rather than trying to buy it. After that issue, you wrote to me and reassured me that I would NEVER have a problem in your hotel again, that you had seen to it. Clearly that was wrong, I was once again misled into rebooking with Mercure Brigstow.

So please don't just apologise, please response fully to these questions:

1) Why if my room was downgraded was I not told at check-in?

2) Were you just expecting me to pay for Superior and be happy with Standard?

3) Did you know in advance? I think your hotel did, which is why a point was made of saying we had interconnecting rooms which was definitely something I had not asked for.

4) If you knew in advance, then why was no effort made to contact me?

5) Why was I offered a breakfast at £8.95 in compensation for the wrong room type which was a £10 upgrade?

6) Why was it such a big deal to give me the £10 back for the room type that you did not give me anyway?

7) Along those lines, on a "no change, no cancellation" rate, am I correct in assuming that I and any other customer cannot change our booking once confirmed?

8) Following on from question 5, then why can you change the room that you were happy to sell me at the time AND take my money for upfront in advance especially if I cannot change a "no change" booking myself?

9) Does your hotel really hold customers in such contempt? What would it have taken after clearly overbooking and selling our pre-booked rooms to someone else to actually say "have one of the rooms free" (which technically both should have been no charge anyway as you did not honour your contract" or "have 10,000 club points" or "here's a bottle of champagne to each room" or "here's the mini-bar filled" or "we'll pay for your extortionate car parking" or "come back again on us at a special price"?

10) Do you think Mercure Exeter's response when they misallocated was better than Mercure Brigstows? If so, your hotel is letting the brand down isn't it?

11) Please read my review of Hotel du Vin in Bristol. It costs a little more than the Brigstow but you get just a more relaxed experience, which every time has exceeded my expectations. And where the staff are exceptional and any problems they sort out; when I lost my car parking ticket of my own fault the receptionist there went out of her way to help, at the Brigstow nothing can even be done to sort your own mistakes and I have to spend my time chasing. Hotel du Vin gives 5-star service, Mercure gives 2-star service if you're lucky.

12) Mr France, would you stay at a hotel having had the experience(s) that I have had at your hotel?

Mr France, you will know who I am. Reception will know and you will be able to identify the booking from the screen print image attached. You will also be able to look at the previous reviews to see how your hotel ILLEGALLY took payment upfront for a hotel room. The only other time that has happened to me before is when Travelodge did it and then when I complained the MANAGING DIRECTOR personally telephoned me; that didn't happen before and how can your hotel have got it so wrong again. And this time the manager wouldn't even come to apologise or speak to me.

On the subject of LEGAL, there is absolutely NOTHING in the terms of sale on Mercure's website (where I booked) to say that Mercure may vary the room allocated or downgrade bookings. Therefore, MERCURE BRIGSTOW IS IN BREACH OF CONTRACT. I have taken a copy of the T&Cs from the website with today's date on it before Mercure try to do something underhand like change them, which I would expect from the underhand experience of booking with Mercure.

13) Are we customers really just cash cows to your hotel and brand?

14) Does being a loyalty club member mean nothing? As I actually feel that being a Le Club member is actually a disadvantage.

My answer to question 12:

I WILL NEVER STAY IN A MERCURE HOTEL EVER AGAIN.

It ruined the weekend for us. Thanks very much for that.

Oh, and the remote control for the TVs in the bath were missing so had to be controlled from the main TV, making having a TV at the end of the bath pointless.

And to top it off, the room was dirty and mould around the windows. The rooms are looking shabby and certainly 4-star, a Premier Inn is in better condition. I didn't report it as clearly wouldn't have got me anywhere, if being given the wrong rooms wasn't enough to sort out the problems so I didn't bother. And I do know that you like to respond on Tripadvisor, your website proudly boasts that you collect reviews with them, if only you sorted it out at the time.

The hotel is going down hill fast - again, look at my previous reviews for this hotel, there's a clear pattern of declining standards.

So Mr France, please do me the one courtesy of answering the points in this review fully and showing that Mercure can be honest for once.

Room Tip: Choose the Holiday Inn or Hotel du Vin instead
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank kpd1979
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

I am sorry on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback
with the utmost seriousness and have currently investigated the matter and I have personally written directly to you. Kind regards, Iain France - General Manager

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stopped here for two nights. Great location, convenient for the old city, the shopping centres and the harbour side. Had a corner room which looked out onto the river, and although there was a little noise from outside we did have the French window open and it was not enough to persuade us to close it. Bed exceedingly comfortable. Breakfast very good. Staff very helpful. Special mention to Steve on reception who went the extra mile to help us when we couldn't park in the NCP car park (which is very convenient, albeit expensive, even with 25% off for hotel guests). Would thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank Mystdogs

Many thanks for your kind words. I’m glad my team made your stay enjoyable. If you want

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We chose the hotel for several reasons. It is located in a good position for easy access to central Bristol - Broadmead Shopping Centre and Cabot Circus. Also the hotel fronts a narrow cobbled street and the River Avon. At this time of year, the trees alongside the river do not present much of an obstruction to the river view.
The hotel itself is modern and well kept. The staff were always friendly and welcoming and the restaurant provided some excellent food. Wi-Fi is provided free throughout the hotel.
Our room was situated on the fifth floor and was described as a "privilege" room, so there was a free mini-bar containing soft drinks and a safe in one of the wardrobes. The room layout was very modern and the bathroom had both a shower cubicle and a bath as well as a WC and washbasin. There was a small screen over the bath which allowed TV to be watched on the same channel as the main TV. Mirrors in the bathroom are gently heated which prevents steaming up.
If we were to visit Bristol again, we would have no hesitation in staying at the Mercure Brigstow.

Room Tip: As is often the case, the higher floors present the best view. There are two passenger lifts (elevat...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind words. If you want to come back and stay with us again, remember to book on our Mercure web site directly to get the best rates available. Iain France - General Manager

Reviewed 19 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Just back from another trip to Bristol, this time staying at the Hotel Mercure Brigstow, and what a lovely stay we had there. From our arrival to departure, everything was first class. The staff are absolutely terrific - every one of them positive, friendly, welcoming and efficient. The rooms look great - quite different to the usual run of the mill hotel room - and are wonderfully well equipped with extremely comfortable beds and large bathrooms with both bath and separate shower. Our room was on the waterfront overlooking Welsh Back, where there is a great choice of restaurants, bars, etc, and the Bristol Old Vic just around the corner. The location could not in fact be better - so close to the shops and the wonderful market. Breakfast was one of the best - lots of lovely fresh fruit, cheeses, cold meats, and of course the usual cooked breakfast, all fresh and very delicious. We certainly know where we will stay on all our future trips to this extremely fascinating city - the Mercure Brigstow. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the water and have lovely views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IFrance, General Manager at Mercure Bristol Brigstow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here. We really value your feedback and remember to always book on our own Mercure website where you are guaranteed the best rates available and also eligible for point with loyalty program Le Club. Kind regards, Iain France - General Manager