“Lovely old hotel - great staff but in dire need of renovation!”
Review of Arnos Manor Hotel

Arnos Manor Hotel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Arnos Manor hotel and generally enjoyed our stay. The hotel is not in the centre of town but on a busy main road served by many bus lines which we liked as we didn’t fancy fighting the Bristol traffic ourselves.
The most significant point that we’d like to highlight about our stay here was the friendliness and general helpfulness of most of the hotel staff. The young blond lady who looked after us so well on our first evening at dinner was great! We arrived late for dinner and we were clearly advised that serving our meal would take some time as a large bus of older tourists had just arrived & that the kitchen staff would have problems in cooking for everybody at the same time. We sat away from the crowd in the atmospheric Cloisters dining room with the bus driver who seemed pleased to be relieved from his passengers for a while. There was a very nice set menu available but we preferred to order from the bar menu. Our young, blond waitress confirmed that would be no problem at all so I went for the standard fish & chips which were delicious. Actually whilst waiting for the meal to arrive and armed with free drinks (to compensate for the tardiness of the dinner), we waited in the bar and watched the first 10 minutes or so of the Germany/Brazil world cup soccer match. Later over dinner, various hotel staff came to let us know about the remarkable development of that game and by the start of the second half all of the members of our party were glued to the telly in the bar. We felt really at home (two of our party live in Germany). About the bar – don’t order liquors like Bailey’s – they cost the earth!
The hotel itself has obviously seen better days. As other reviewers have remarked the hotel could do with a general makeover, general sprucing up and a good lick of paint. Our double room, overlooking the large, free car park was pleasant enough. The windows were a bit rickety and encased in dirt, cobwebs & dust. The bed was comfortable enough and the old fashioned TV worked OK. We had an en suite bathroom which was, well… functional. I broke the toilet seat in the middle of the night but that was replaced the next day without problems. The other double room of the part on the floor above us was rather pokey but, again acceptable enough for a couple of nights stay. In general we had the impression that the place could have been better cleaned. Other, more positive features – free tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms and free WiFi.
The buffet breakfast with cooked items to order was good. Our blond star of the night before was on hand to bring a smile to the day. Her other works colleagues at breakfast were also in good spirits and helpful.
The check in and check out was friendly enough but rather unprofessional. The gentleman on the desk at check in couldn’t find one of our reservations and it took him sometime to find a room for us. That didn’t leave a good initial impression. A different gentleman at check out got into complete confusion over our bills but we helped him out to ensure that the right couple got the right bill in the end. The computer seemed to be the problem… room for improvement there.
By the way, we can reassure you that at no time during our stay were we disturbed by any ghostly apparitions.

Room Tip: You might want to avoid the haunted room number 160
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GM_ArnosManor, General Manager at Arnos Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Reviewer
I was pleased to read your review with regards to your stay with us here at the Arnos Manor Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted that you found them friendly.
With all of our kindest regards

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at this Hotel as I was on a business trip, so I simply needed a place to sleep for one night only. I arrived very late and I am so glad that I did, as I would not have been able to bear a second longer. The Hotel Porter was very friendly and welcoming. However, the rest is downhill from hereon in.

The room I stayed in was a single. The windows and ledges were filthy, cobwebs, dirt you name it. I noticed all the floor was dirty around the edges of the bed. It was very late so I was not able to organise a change of room, by the state of the corridors and lift, I was doubtful of another room being any better.

The bathroom made terrible noises for around ten minutes after flushing. I have bad asthma and the dust was terrible. I woke up the next morning and went to run a bath, wanting to vacate the room URGENTLY and suddenly I noticed that there was a whole lot of hair shavings in the bath all round near the plug etc which must have been from the previous Guests. Totally awful. I have NEVER experienced this in any Hotel in my Life and I am totally appalled. I then saw from the reflection in the bathroom mirror, a huge brown moth simply resting in the corner. Had I have seen that the night before.... !!! It must have been there all night long. Luckily I kept my case Shut the entire time as I could see the room was unclean.

I have honestly, never written a Hotel Review before, however, I passed my comments to the Receptionist when I left, extremely politely and he was very polite and apologised and promised to do something about it. However, as no one has had the courtesy to come back to me to try and explain how they can be selling rooms in the state my one was in, I felt I had to do / say something.

This place is a health hazard. Yet the building has the potential to be absolutely beautiful. They openly admit it is due a major refurbishment, but basic hygiene and cleanliness are of the utmost importance and there can be NO excuses when you charge people for board and lodgings.

Such as a disappointment and a total lack of care to their customers and to me. I was talking about my experiences to friends and family and all agreed this is not acceptable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GM_ArnosManor, General Manager at Arnos Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay here with us at The Arnos Manor Hotel It is much appreciated.
I read your comments with disappointment and please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on this visit, rest assured I have shared your comments with the team so they can take action and ensure we do not encounter the same problems in the future, we take all feedback seriously and strive to deliver the best service and good quality food, I am sure you will welcome the fact that we are due a refurbishment in the near future, once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Chose this hotel from information ( buy a gift.com ) that went with my birthday present from my son, on arrival no lift working, we were on the top floor!, curtains hanging from rail & dirty, one light not working, noisy from extractor fans for air con. In dining room, could have done with air con in room very hot, food awful, they could do with a chef & not a cook. The saving grace in this place was the staff, friendly & cheerful.

Room Tip: Pay the top price & hope
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Well where do I start. When you go on line the hotel looks very nice. That is where it ends. The reception is dated and just like everywhere else that I went in the hotel what it was crying out for was slick of paint. The staff were as helpful as possible but that is not enough. I was told that if I needed anything then I only had to call 0 for reception. Never did find the phone!! The room looked as though the carpet had been replaced not too long ago but again the paintwork was crying out for help. The bathroom was ok with a spa type bath in it as well as a separate shower but again the bath looked as though it had seen better days. The ceiling paint was cracked badly. The towels was not much bigger than a hand towel. I was looking for some sockets by the bed and when I moved the bedside tables all I found was the skirting board covered in a thick layer of dust. I was also offered towels at around 2030 as they had just been delivered but were no different to what I already had. The food although cooked ok was just about enough for a very small mouse. If you are still thinking of staying here I would say don't!!!! The only plus point I could give is that the staff were very friendly and tried there best but only 1 person taking orders in the dining room is not enough especially at breakfast. I only had breakfast because I had paid for it. Will never ever go here again.

Room Tip: Couldn't possibly give advice on this
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GM_ArnosManor, General Manager at Arnos Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Reviewed 26 June 2014

First impression wen I walked in was the building was very old and tired the girl on reception was slow and has us waiting to check In for about 10 mins flapping about behind the desk there was a woman complaining her bed smelt funny I was worried at this point wen I finally got to my room (room 175) it was not very nice at all the windows was broken I had to take I draw out of the dresser to hold the window open as it was boiling in there there was no mattress protecter on the bed or the pillows very unhygienic and the bed was also very uncomfortable and tended to roll out if you were on the left side the room it's self was dated rundown the decor was a mess paint from the wood work on the bathroom window the toilet was also not cleaned properly had dried you know what on the back of the toilet there was dust on top of the wardrobe and the curtains was quite dusty and it started my allergies off I found one towel in the bathroom in my double room for 2 I tried to get some sleep but I needed up leaving at 3am the bed was horrible and room was to hot and dusty waste of my £67 I could not be more disappointed on my stay here at arnos manor hotel also during the evening the smoke alarms went off which wasn't very impressive at all the man on reception wen I left was lovely shame about the hotel and overall experience

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Like a fool I'm here for two nights it's not one of the worst places I've been but it's in the lowest five not even a kettle in the small room at 20.30 tonight a cleaner knocked to give me some towels as there wasn't any. The food was flavourless and not a great deal of it thank god the company is paying or I'd be off now

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GM_ArnosManor, General Manager at Arnos Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Reviewer
I read your comments with disappointment and please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on this visit, due to an issue beyond our control our linen delivery was late on the night you stayed , rest assured I have shared your comments with the team so they can take action and ensure we do not encounter the same problems in the future, we take all feedback seriously and strive to deliver the best service and good quality food, I am sure you will welcome the fact that we are due a refurbishment in the near future, once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

before me and my husband went we looked at the reviews of this hotel and I must say I was regretting booking it because the reviews did not seem nice at all but when we arrived at the reception the staff were friendly and helpful when we got our room it was great four poster bed lounge area and best of all we had a spa bath which I loved the breakfast was fantastic every thing that you need in a breakfast theres only one thing , blankets don't like them but that's my choice but it was nice and warm in the room so did not need it but overall fantastic place great staff great food would deffently return thank you for a brill 2 night stay

Room Tip: the front of the building first floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 424holidaysareus

Dear Reviewer
We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

With all of our kindest regards