“Such Lovely Staff”

Ranked #37 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Such Lovely Staff”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Good.... nothing was too much trouble - I had a problem getting into my room with my key card and when I went back down to Reception I was greeted with a smile and a 'no problem' - and it was sorted very quickly and efficiently. Then my TV remote didn't work - once again I rang Reception and the gentleman on the front desk was back up and fixed it immediately. I ordered room service and the meal came quickly, it was hot and tasty. Couldn't have asked for better service, with such friendly and helpful staff.
The not so good (which I agree can be overlooked) the room was needing a coat of paint and some TLC - however, it was very clean, sheets spotless, and no stray 'hairs' anywhere ... which is often the bane of my life with hotels (even 5 star hotels !!)
So, would I go back - yes, if I was in the area - I prefer a more modern hotel but over that I prefer staff who enjoy their job and show it - and deliver excellent customer service. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
GM_ArnosManor, General Manager at Arnos Manor, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Arnos Manor Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted you found them friendly, I am sure you will welcome the fact that we are due a refurbishment in the near future, once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.
With all of our kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Surrey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Try to overlook the dowdy and dated bedroom decor and the potential to impress here is enormous. Our room in particular was vast with a raised seating area. It too had seen better days but even with a rear-facing commercial outlook the configuration of it alone, lends itself to being raised to the grandeur of an impressive suite.

If you like quaint, you won't be disappointed, but beware, the narrow hallways are a feat of navigation; something worth considering if you are rather on the portly side or have bulky luggage.

Seems almost criminal not to refurbish this entire hotel by drawing upon the evident history and architectural quirks which draw the eye all around you. The courtyard set up where breakfast was served is a great example.

Unfortunately, this is spoiled by the strange and unpleasant smells emanating from the nearby reception toilets.

It seems though that management are responding here to comments saying that the hotel is undertaking a number of updates across the board. I'd certainly love to go back if this was all done.

But until then, I think I'll wait.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook the car park but are quiet as the hotel is on a main junction of a very b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank viviko
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Arnos Manor Hotel. I read your comments to the team to make sure they take action where necessary, I am sure you will welcome the fact that we are due a refurbishment in the near future, once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Oh where to start... staff were friendly but unfortunately I do not have anything good to say apart from that. The whole hotel is just an old dirty and unhygienic mess. I have never stayed somewhere so terrible. The bedroom was filthy, windows were dusty with dirt and peeling paint. No tea or coffee in the rooms which is mad, and it was like a sauna at night with the bed covers and no mattress or pillow protectors, again disgusting. The Bathroom was disgusting, floor was filthy, shower mat had black mould all over the underneath of it and it just stunk of rotten eggs. Every time I went in there I felt sick. To top it all off, our room was at the front of the hotel and below us were garden benches, on both nights we had hardly any sleep because there were rowdy people below making so much noise. On the second night the noise went on from 1 am until 6.30am when the sun came up, I made 6 calls to reception that night and it was disgusting how they let that carry on especially when the were still drinking. I would be interested to know what their licencing conditions are for consumption of alcohol and noose outside at that time of the morning.... finally their restaurant area for breakfast was filthy too, food was jus thrown everywhere, milk was warm, bread was stale from being sat there, there was dirt all in the coffee machine which looked like it had never been cleaned. The floor was dirty with old food and I would say it rarelygets mopped. The breakfast wwas awful. We didn't bother with it on the second day but on the first day the sausage looked like it had been sat there and reheated, the bacon was purple which looked like it was going off or had been sat in an unfresh environment, the beans were reheated and sticky and their tea was beyond cheap because it was so grey in colour. All in all the worst experience of my life. Complained to reception and they told us because we had prepaid they couldn't do anything about it....... cop out.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Maria M
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments with regards to your stay here with us at The Arnos Manor Hotel It is much appreciated.
I read your comments with disappointment and please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on this visit, rest assured I have shared your comments with the team so they can take action and ensure we do not encounter the same problems in the future, we take all feedback seriously and strive to deliver the best service and good quality food, I am sure you will welcome the fact that we are due a refurbishment in the near future, once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Kindest regards
Torquay
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Arrived with a coach party. Well received by a charming hotel manager. Our room was large and well furnished. Comfortable bed and large bathroom. Our meals were well prepared and breakfast excellent. Apart from road noise as we were near a main road, we enjoyed our short stay. The staff were outstanding and so friendly and helpful -we would certainly use this hotel again as it is placed within 2 miles of the city centre and ideal for visiting the sites.
needs some updating but has historic background.

Room Tip: first floor were lovely - park side preferable to avoid road noise. Good public transport near hote...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Arnos Manor Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted you found them friendly,once again thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.
N.Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is very old and has a very interesting history, is situated on the outskirts of Bristol and has a very large and attractive cemetery and other grounds nearby. We arrived as part of a coach party of friends and were wonderfully welcomed by the staff who seemed all to be Bristolians.
The meals were quite poor and it was obvious that we were on a "package" deal. The vegetables each time consisted of three slices of carrots. After complaining things did improve and we were given a choice and also a FREE drink. The bar was expensive but there were pubs nearby selling real ale. We did however enjoy our visit thanks to the excellent friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
GM_ArnosManor, General Manager at Arnos Manor, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Arnos Manor Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted that you found them friendly.
Thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Used this venue recently to deliver training to my staff. Room was pleasant and well prepared each morning. Staff were also very friendly and professional and kept us duly stocked with tea and coffee. Will use again for training. I cannot comment on the accommodation as I did not stay overnight.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank benyates91
Dear Reviewer
I was pleased to read your review with regards to your stay with us here at the Arnos Manor Hotel. I read your comments to the team and they were delighted that you found them friendly.
Thank you for your comments and I do hope you decide to use us again in the future.
Leverkusen, Germany
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Arnos Manor hotel and generally enjoyed our stay. The hotel is not in the centre of town but on a busy main road served by many bus lines which we liked as we didn’t fancy fighting the Bristol traffic ourselves.
The most significant point that we’d like to highlight about our stay here was the friendliness and general helpfulness of most of the hotel staff. The young blond lady who looked after us so well on our first evening at dinner was great! We arrived late for dinner and we were clearly advised that serving our meal would take some time as a large bus of older tourists had just arrived & that the kitchen staff would have problems in cooking for everybody at the same time. We sat away from the crowd in the atmospheric Cloisters dining room with the bus driver who seemed pleased to be relieved from his passengers for a while. There was a very nice set menu available but we preferred to order from the bar menu. Our young, blond waitress confirmed that would be no problem at all so I went for the standard fish & chips which were delicious. Actually whilst waiting for the meal to arrive and armed with free drinks (to compensate for the tardiness of the dinner), we waited in the bar and watched the first 10 minutes or so of the Germany/Brazil world cup soccer match. Later over dinner, various hotel staff came to let us know about the remarkable development of that game and by the start of the second half all of the members of our party were glued to the telly in the bar. We felt really at home (two of our party live in Germany). About the bar – don’t order liquors like Bailey’s – they cost the earth!
The hotel itself has obviously seen better days. As other reviewers have remarked the hotel could do with a general makeover, general sprucing up and a good lick of paint. Our double room, overlooking the large, free car park was pleasant enough. The windows were a bit rickety and encased in dirt, cobwebs & dust. The bed was comfortable enough and the old fashioned TV worked OK. We had an en suite bathroom which was, well… functional. I broke the toilet seat in the middle of the night but that was replaced the next day without problems. The other double room of the part on the floor above us was rather pokey but, again acceptable enough for a couple of nights stay. In general we had the impression that the place could have been better cleaned. Other, more positive features – free tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms and free WiFi.
The buffet breakfast with cooked items to order was good. Our blond star of the night before was on hand to bring a smile to the day. Her other works colleagues at breakfast were also in good spirits and helpful.
The check in and check out was friendly enough but rather unprofessional. The gentleman on the desk at check in couldn’t find one of our reservations and it took him sometime to find a room for us. That didn’t leave a good initial impression. A different gentleman at check out got into complete confusion over our bills but we helped him out to ensure that the right couple got the right bill in the end. The computer seemed to be the problem… room for improvement there.
By the way, we can reassure you that at no time during our stay were we disturbed by any ghostly apparitions.

Room Tip: You might want to avoid the haunted room number 160
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family