“Very Average”

The Channings Hotel
Ranked #42 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I visited this Hotel for 2 nights and on arrival I must say I was disappointed. The rooms were not clean and especially the bathrooms. My friends room bathroom (including the toliet) looked like it had not been cleaned since the last guest. When we complained we were told that that cleaner would be told. When we arrived back to the room in the evening it was still not cleaned. We had to complain again. Although this is a cheap hotel there is a minimum standard of cleaniness that you would expect. The walls of the rooms are extremely thin and I could here the phone alarm of the person in the room next to me. There was a gap underneath my friends room about 10cm high and they could hear everyone walking in the corridors and opening and closing doors. Overall I would say that my stay was disappointing and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed one night at Channings in Clifton, Bristol and can only say that the hospitality and friendliness were excellent!!!. My room was spotless, the bed exceptionally comfortable and the bathroom very spacious for a single room. The hot water was plentiful, the bath large and the shower powerful. Breakfast was lovely. The price was a bargain, especially considering the location in Clifton. I would recommend Channings without reservation.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lynda B
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We have stayed at this pub/hotel a few times now. The rooms are clean and functional. The price is very favourable and includes a full English breakfast which is fine. We have had one occasion when the water in the bathroom ran cold and this weekend's visit treated us to a trickle of a hot shower. For us though, the location is perfect, we have always been able to park on the road (easy after 6pm) and being able to dash back from University Symphony Orchestra concert with daughter in tow, for a quick drink and catch-up before bed, suits us perfectly. On one occasion we turned up only 45 mins before the concert started and asked on arrival if there was any food that could be waiting for us on a dining table within 10 mins and the staff managed this for us. We were grateful and attended the concert on full stomachs - thank you!
The owner/manager and staff have all been pleasant and work hard so we wish them all the best. Yes, it could be improved in places but the price is good and includes breakfast. It’s fine and good value in comparison to competitors.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACM9
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stay here regularly on business. The hotel is well located for all attractions in Bristol.
The staff that run the hotel are really friendly and helpful. The rooms may appear in need of a little TLC but all the rooms I have stayed in are very clean, the showers are powerful and in all very comfortable.

The atmosphere in the bar is always great and a good choice of bar food. The breakfast is freshly made to order, just what you need to start the day!

Overall great value for money and I will continue to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Donna-and-Roy
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I stayed there on Friday and Sunday 26 & 28th October. It was great. Room was clean and well presented. Lovely and warm too - especially as it's getting colder out there now! Shower was amazing - hot water and amazing power - tropical rain forest springs to mind! The pillows - lovely and soft - I want one!!!
Breakfast was perfect with cereal and poached eggs, brown toast, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes - choose from the options available!
Lovely managers - nothing too much trouble and the perfect hosts.
If I'm back in Bristol again, business or pleasure, I'll be using Channings again!
Thanks to all - it made a perfect weekend!

Room Tip: I chose the Brunel room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Short break at Channings Hotel, Bristol primarily to see the Lion King at the Hippadrome. Firstly a big thank you to Andy and Lesley and team for a most welcoming and hospitable weekend. They were really helpful as we had never been to Bristol before and they recommended areas of interest and spent time telling us how to get to various venues. The rooms were spotless and comfortable and the food was spot on. Will definately return.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

stayed here for 2 nights on a shopping trip found this hotel very warm and welcoming good food freindly staff and also very helpful well located for all the attractions as well very clean rooms and a good comfy bed will defo stay here again

Room Tip: good clean comfy rooms and a nice shower
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family