“Good service but some basic improvements needed”

The Channings Hotel
Ranked #46 of 53 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed one night here in the family room which was the only room available.We were greeted really well upon arrival, friendly, polite and informative. The room was ok, comprising of a single bed and a really rather small double bed. The ensuite needed some attention. The basin taps were loose, toilet roll holder hanging off the wall on screws, just small things but they give a bad impression. The double bed then turned out to be very uncomfortable, I slept with a spring sticking into my back. Breakfast was lovely and the service was great again So convenient location for Clifton and town centre, friendly staff and reasonable value but I couldn't sleep in a bed like that again.

Room Tip: Family room had an uncomfortable double bed. Don't stay here if you have a problem with stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Channings Hotel

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Nice old building with a great outside area.
Luckily the weather was nice so we sat outside in the lovely garden
Plenty of ales for me to choose from and my guest opted for a Pimms, all well presented.
The Team were really very friendly and were really helpful when we asked for directions to a couple of places.
We ordered food, which came quite quickly, it was quiet, The food was great and the girl serving us couldnt do any more to ensure we enjoyed our visit.
Definately recommend this place and particularly the friendly team!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Not only best value in lovely Clifton but probably best value in the whole of Bristol. Most impressed how family friendly they were - set up a cot, offered to help with my bags, provided high chairs - an all round great stay.

Like other happy reviewers I will be back.

Room Tip: Take the owners advice and turn up to look for parking after 6pm when a lot of spaces will have free...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DarikaAhrens
Channings M, Manager at The Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us – Clifton is indeed a lovely place to visit as is the friendly City of Bristol.

We don’t often have young guests staying with us so it is nice to know that our staff looked after you and your family.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I arrived to find a friendly old building and some very friendly staff on hand to check me in, answer all of my questions with a smile and a very down to earth attitude.

A quick chat about the specials board and the cask ale and I was left in peace to eat and drink until I went outside. There I found my barman who checked with me that my meal was OK. Not, I sensed, out of responsibility for the hotel, but just because he cared.

The place gets lively in the evening but this could not be heard from my room and was not intimidating when I went down later for a drink, the beer garden is excellent and spaced out well.

Loads of free parking in surrounding streets, great food, great ales, great staff.

2  Thank earthman72
Channings M, Manager at The Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to place a review following your recent stay at Channings.

We aim to create an enjoyable & welcoming atmosphere for all of our guests and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind comments have been passed to all our team.

We hope that you will come and stay again soon at this “friendly old building.”

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed here while on training in the area, very friendly welcome after giving me directions over the phone, there were two flights of stairs up to the room with no lift. The place is a little dated but clean and tidy,also very reasonable priced with breakfast included, which is served in the bar area of the pub. I also ate here at night with an extensive menu to choose from the food was good. The Location of the hotel is fantastic five minutes walk to the Clifton bridge, and a short distance from Bristol zoo. I would definitely recommend the Channings and would stay here again myself.

1  Thank jenkinson7

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to place a review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your comments regarding the new summer menu and standard of food which will be passed back to our Head Chef.

I can certainly appreciate your comments regarding the lack of a lift – and if you stay with us again we will endeavour to accommodate you on the first floor.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We chose this hotel as it was within easy walking distance of Bristol Zoo for our evening concert. The area is lovely with beautiful buildings, we parked the car in the street behind the hotel and could even see it from our room, and we left it there for our stay. Walked to Clifton Village and Suspension Bridge next morning, lovely shops and cafes. Reception from staff was very good and very friendly, large room & bathroom, clean bedding and sheets. Yes, the décor is tired but at the price, including a full cooked breakfast, it was just right for us. Also, considering it is a busy city pub there was no noise from customers or traffic.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue M

Dear Guest

It is always appreciated that guests take the trouble to place a review on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your comments to our staff. Channings is “tired” in places but we endeavour to make up for it in other ways - good food and drink and a welcoming team of staff.

We hope that you will be able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed in this hotel as my husband and I had some work to do in Bristol. This hotel was the most reasonably priced that we found for anywhere in the city, and it turned out to be so central that we were able to walk to where we needed to go, so saving on petrol and car parking charges! It was initially difficult to find parking near the hotel as they have no car park, so we had to park in the road a long way from the hotel. Hubby just popped out and moved the car right next to the hotel later in the evening, once things had cleared a bit, and we left it there for the rest of our stay.

We were made very welcome at reception and someone helped us up the stair with our bags. We found that all the staff that we dealt with were helpful and friendly. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful and freshly cooked. We also had a meal one evening and it was delicious - good quality, fresh ingredients. The room was spacious and comfortable, although a little general maintenance would improve it (our showerhead kept slipping and hubby kept banging his head on the lamp over the bed), and it was very clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable too.

We felt very comfortable and relaxed at this hotel so fully intend to revisit next time we have work in this area!

1  Thank Karen W
Channings M, Manager at The Channings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Channings following your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to all the staff who work hard to make Channings succeed.

Channings is certainly in an ideal location and whilst parking can be an issue, as you rightly say once you have a space you really don’t need to use the car.

We look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Manager