“A good selection of ales!”

The Channings Hotel
Ranked #43 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“A good selection of ales!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a 1 night stay at the channings. The rooms were spacious and comfy with all the modern conveniences expected. We had no problem with the cleanliness of the rooms (unlike previous reviewers) and everything was neat and tidy with no problems whatsoever.

The bar downstairs is good with a range of ales and food on offer so my partner was kept happy. Breakfast was a full english breakfast which was cooked well.

Location wise the hotel was perfect for us. Located in the very pretty area of Clifton, not far from the suspension bridge, and also within walking distance of Bristol centre - excellent value for money! I would happily recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed here to attend a wedding at the Merchant's Hall, Clifton, which was an easy walk away. Other hotels within the same radius were at least twice the price. The rooms were spacious and clean with immaculate bedding. We were able to check in early, with prior arrangement. Despite other reviews, our shower was hot and powerful. Some of the communal areas of the hotel could do with sprucing up, but the room was fine. We were on the 2nd floor and despite facing Pembroke Road, for a city location, the hotel was very quiet from without and silent from within. The room wasn't too hot (often a problem) and the bed very comfy. The full English breakfast was one of the best we've had as there were all the key ingredients you'd expect, all cooked well, with nice soft egg and good proportions. The service was also friendly and attentive. If you want a hotel with corporate perfection this won't be for you, but if you're looking for a great value place to bed down for the night, in a characterful old building and don't mind the odd decorative imperfection, I cannot imagine there is a better place to stay in this area. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian P
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Would not recomend stay away better valie at travelodge or premier inn. Food over priced for what it is. No better than weatherspoons. Tooms havent been updated since the sixties. The shower didnt work and when it did it was like a babies dribble.

• Stayed September 2013

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Stayed one night here in the family room which was the only room available.We were greeted really well upon arrival, friendly, polite and informative. The room was ok, comprising of a single bed and a really rather small double bed. The ensuite needed some attention. The basin taps were loose, toilet roll holder hanging off the wall on screws, just small things but they give a bad impression. The double bed then turned out to be very uncomfortable, I slept with a spring sticking into my back. Breakfast was lovely and the service was great again So convenient location for Clifton and town centre, friendly staff and reasonable value but I couldn't sleep in a bed like that again.

Room Tip: Family room had an uncomfortable double bed. Don't stay here if you have a problem with stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Nice old building with a great outside area.
Luckily the weather was nice so we sat outside in the lovely garden
Plenty of ales for me to choose from and my guest opted for a Pimms, all well presented.
The Team were really very friendly and were really helpful when we asked for directions to a couple of places.
We ordered food, which came quite quickly, it was quiet, The food was great and the girl serving us couldnt do any more to ensure we enjoyed our visit.
Definately recommend this place and particularly the friendly team!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Not only best value in lovely Clifton but probably best value in the whole of Bristol. Most impressed how family friendly they were - set up a cot, offered to help with my bags, provided high chairs - an all round great stay.

Like other happy reviewers I will be back.

Room Tip: Take the owners advice and turn up to look for parking after 6pm when a lot of spaces will have free...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DarikaAhrens
Channings M, Manager at The Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us – Clifton is indeed a lovely place to visit as is the friendly City of Bristol.

We don’t often have young guests staying with us so it is nice to know that our staff looked after you and your family.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards
The Manager
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I arrived to find a friendly old building and some very friendly staff on hand to check me in, answer all of my questions with a smile and a very down to earth attitude.

A quick chat about the specials board and the cask ale and I was left in peace to eat and drink until I went outside. There I found my barman who checked with me that my meal was OK. Not, I sensed, out of responsibility for the hotel, but just because he cared.

The place gets lively in the evening but this could not be heard from my room and was not intimidating when I went down later for a drink, the beer garden is excellent and spaced out well.

Loads of free parking in surrounding streets, great food, great ales, great staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank earthman72
Channings M, Manager at The Channings Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the trouble to place a review following your recent stay at Channings.

We aim to create an enjoyable & welcoming atmosphere for all of our guests and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your kind comments have been passed to all our team.

We hope that you will come and stay again soon at this “friendly old building.”

Kind regards