“Faded Glory with too many faults to ignore”
Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Top floor bedrrom described as one of their best, has flaky paint, peeling paper, damp-stains, poor 'make do and mend' patch repairs, sloping floors, curtains hanging off missing hooks. Even a window with no curtain at all! No milk, no tea-bags, bruised fruit in the 'complimentary fruit bowl'. Warm radiators though. But to top it all there's no free wifi, only a paid wifi service billed as 'unlimited' but which times out if you try to download too much iplayer content (two episodes in one night - not a chance). Seriously, you get kicked off the wifi and have to get a fresh login/password. Did I mention they bill this as an unlimited service on the sign at reception. Much as I hate to see the decline of character hotels, this place really needs to wake up to the 1990s at least, if not this century. You can tell the receptionists have a tough time explaining this to everyone who calls down for a new login and password every few hours. Some just resignedly tell you over the phone, while the dutiful climb the three flights of steep stairs (no lift) to present you with a printeout of the same info they could have read over the phone. Not one for the returning visitor.

Room Tip: avoid all the stairs. Make sure the room has curtains on ALL windows
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MsT_Ocarroll
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear MsT_Ocarroll,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel. I am terribly sorry you were disappointed by your recent stay with us. I have had a careful look at the issues you highlighted with my Housekeeping Manager and you like to assure you that all the problem areas have been addresses and rectified. The room has also been completely repainted in light of your photographs and all the smaller complaints raised with the individual room attendants. The small velux window in your room does have an in built blind which I am sorry you weren’t made aware of, I have added additional signage to the room to ensure any future guests don’t experience the same issues.
With regards to the wifi, I have to be honest and say that we have never had any previous complaints about the service that is offered. Our IT team set up the system to enable us to provide as many time options to our guests as possible. Thank you for informing me of the pitfalls you experienced with this service, I will be raising this issue with our IT department and hope we can offer a more user friendly system in the future.

Please feel free to contact me at The Rodney Hotel as I would be grateful for the opportunity to apologise directly.
Kind Regards
Amy Allen

There are newer reviews for The Rodney Hotel

Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Rodney is a real find. The staff are very helpful and accomodating
The rooms are always clean and the beds comfortable
I have stayed at many hotels in Bristol and I belive this is one of the best by far

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone still book a double room as the single rooms are small
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a lovely time and the position of the hotel is great, bedroom very nice and clean only thing the walls are very thin so I could hear the next door neighbours and the people upstairs walking

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2011

thanks to Rodney hotel staff for their generous hospitality and essential support..also for the comfortable facilities offerd by this beautiful hotel..

Faisal Al-Doori

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for one night and, I must say, I was quite shocked at how small the "Executive Double Room" is. It really is quite tiny! Having said that, the rooms are clean, quite modern and the staff are very good. I would suggest that this hotel is really catering to business travellers who don't bring their partners, as I really would not want to share such a small room for a long stay.
The parking is, as has been mentioned, scarce, so be advised to arrive early and get one of the hotel spots (for 6.50 UKP).
The cooked breakfast is fantastic, got the extra and pay for it! The buffet offering is also good, but the veggie cooked and the real English were fabulous. Great coffee, too.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We had a private dining event in Number Four restaurant, at the Rodney Hotel. From first making contact with the hotel, it was such a pleasure. Stephanie, Restaurant Manager, is absolutely terrific and a real asset to the hotel. She was so accommodating and very efficient that the whole evening went so smoothly. The food was fabulous, service excellent (Stephanie ensured that she was so well prepared that she knew precisely who was having which dish and didn't need to ask once). It was a superb night and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I booked my 73 year old father into the Rodney as he was meeting his first love in a re-union 1-2-1. the pictures looked basic but a bit high on cost was close to where he wanted to be. When he got thier he was shown the basement room which smelt damp and he was unable to open the windows, also the cieling above him was not insulated so you could hear everyone walking around the ground floor, he could not sleep at all. He asked at reception could he change room due to the damp, no opening windows and noise and was offered a room on the second floor..no lift.

The room they gave him was on the front overlooking the busy main road with trafiic going all night and the noise from the nightclub opne directly opposite meant a really bad nights sleep.

He smokes so he tried to go out into the walled garden only to find out the hotel had leased it out for the night and residents were not allowed to use it.

The hotel is tired, poorly equipped, badly located and definately was the worst hotel/B&B he has ever stayed in. Avoid like the plague

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Dear Guest,
I am so terribly sorry that your father had an uncomfortable stay at The Rodney Hotel.
We pride ourselves on our warm homely atmosphere and I am disappointed that his experience was anything less than that. We would certainly never knowingly let out a room which we believed to be sub standard and I have looked in to the issues he experienced in his rooms in great detail with my Housekeeping Manager.
From speaking to the receptionist who was on duty that evening I have been informed that your father was relocated with ease to our only other available room which unfortunately was on the second floor. As a small hotel we like to be able to tailor each visit to each guests needs and would have most certainly allocated him to a ground floor, garden facing room, had we known prior to his arrival of his requirements. Due to the period nature of our Georgian Hotel we are unable to have a lift fitted but I am sure that all our staff are available to help with luggage when ever needed.
I have also spoken to our Restaurant Manager who has informed me that a sign was placed on the back door to the garden as a deterrent to out side guests, not hotel guests and that had she been asked, your father would have most certainly been allowed to sit outside in the garden.
Being located in the heart of Clifton Village does mean we are occasionally effected by noise from other local businesses, however I do feel our superb Georgian surrounding and the abundance of historical attractions more than make up for it. We would obviously speak to any neighboring offices should they be making unnecessary noise.
Thank you for making me aware of the problems you're father experienced and I would like to sincerly apologise to him for causing any discomfort.
Kind Regards