“Nice location but rooms are too hot”
Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“Nice location but rooms are too hot”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I spent one night at the Rodney hotel but it was unfortunately difficult for me to get any sort of sleep. The rooms are far too hot with no air conditioning!
The other downside was carrying heavy luggage up the stairs on the last floor with no lift! It's not suitable for older people and actually quite dangerous.
Breakfast was nice but I was expecting it to charged with the room price as I had reserved it on the Internet.
The location is obviously good but I wouldn't have stayed for any longer because the room temperature was unbearable . Use this hotel if you only have a piece of hand luggage.

• Stayed August 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Nad s,

Thank you for reviewing The Rodney Hotel. All feedback given is discussed and used to imrpve our service.

I am sorry that your stay here did not fully meet your expectations. We do not have air conditioning on our premises, however, we do have a supply of fans at reception for guests to use. We have recently purchased more to satisfy the demand and are working towards having one in every room.

I apologise tthat our reception team did not offer to help you with your luggage. We are on the desk 24h a day and available to help anytime. I have already addressed that matter with the the team and we are working on improving our service.

I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast. The restaurant staff was very pleased to hear that. If you would like to discuss further the unexpected charges, do not hesitate to contact me on 01179735422. We can look into your reservation and refund any incorrect charges.

Once again, I am terribly sorry that you felt let down. I do hope that, should you return to Bristol, you would consider staying with us again.

Kind regards,
Anna Klosowska

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
FARNHAM, UK
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were at a family wedding in the area and decided to stay at the Rodney. I had occasion to telephone with a query after I made my online booking and was pleased with the service I received from Reception. I also liked that they phoned the day before as a courtesy call with details of parking etc. My only problem was that although we hadn't specified a room on a lower ground floor we hadn't expected the stairs up to the attic rooms to be quite so steep or unevenly spaced - this applies to rooms 25 and above. The main staircase has quite a few stairs but they are 'easy rising' and there is a sofa on the landing of the first floor to catch your breath if you need to. We were a bit late down to breakfast on Sunday (about 9.40 and breakfast finishes at 10) and the table needed clearing, the coffee pot was empty and there were no juice glasses - but the staff were charming and sorted these things out willingly.

Room Tip: Rooms 25 and above are up a steep staircase
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mermaidFARNHAM
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to review The Rodney Hotel. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay here. I have passed these comments onto our reception and restaurant staff, who were thrilled with the feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you to The Rodney Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Anna
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Rodney Hotel was nice enough; clean, basic but sufficient, desk staff very pleasant and polite. I stayed there once a month (work) for 6 months.
That is until I lost my iPhone and iPad charger and cables. When I telephoned next working day to discuss it with the manager I was told the managers details would not be given out. I asked for my concerns to be passed on to the manager but had no reply. I have stopped going there now; not because my charger went missing but because the manager would not speak to me about my concerns

• Stayed June 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Mr Rolland,
I am so terribly sorry that on this occasion our failings operationally have lead to you deciding not to use the hotel anymore, especially when I know you were enjoying staying with us.
Due to the large volume of sales calls I receive my team are very cautious about giving out my details and I’m afraid a new member of staff was a little overzealous on this fact.
I have spoken to the staff member in question and about the importance to relaying messages of this nature to me. As we discussed on the phone I will send your charger to you ASAP and sincerely hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Thank you for commenting on the high levels of service you received during your visits, I will pass this on to the team as they remember you fondly.
Kind Regards
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here on business at the end of June, as was handy for where I was working, and my first choice (even nearer) was fully booked.

Hotel is in a pleasant location, Clifton has a continental feel to it. My room was in the basement, the carpet on the stairs and in hall by my room was grubby and worn, the banister was sticky and there was a stale smell - which did not bode well, but when I got into my room, it was clean, fresh and well presented. Only problem was the large window, as it had no net curtains, and the beer garden overlooked the room, it meant I had to close the curatins and, as seems to be the case with all hotels nowadays, the lighting was very dull - not good enough to read - good job Wimbledon was on to keep me occupied !

I ate in the restaurant - off the light bite menu - it very nice but would have preferred a proper plate rather than a cheese board. Also wish I had said I don't like tomatoes as the chef must have had a surplus there about 10 served in my dish - which went to waste !

All in all okay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village which is a beautiful area and very conveniently located for the city center and the Triangle which is a vibrant and popular area of the city.
I apologise that the carpet to the lower ground floor was in need of some attention, in light of your comments we will be having the carpet professionally cleaned and treated. As we regularly clean the banister along the stairs with brass cleaner it can leave it feeling a little tacky for a few hours, I will ensure appropriate signage is being displayed so guests such as your self know to avoid it.
We are in the process of replacing all our light bulbs with a more energy efficient variety which means they can take a couple of minutes to warm up. I will be making sure the wattage is exactly the same to ensure we are not reducing the light in the rooms and we will also be looking into either window frosting or additional blinds to ensure guests have maximum privacy.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on 0117 9735422 should you wish to discuss your stay further.
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed at the Rodney last week as a last minute stop over in Bristol and not knowing the area, decided Clifton would be a nice place to stay. I was so pleased with my decision as the Village itself is so beautiful and the hotel was so warm and welcoming. I decided to eat at the Hotels restaurant, No4, as I was lucky to be there on a Monday so I could take advantage of their steak deal. The meal was delicious and the service again faultless.
Although small, the room had everything I needed and the whole place had such a lovely welcoming feeling to it I will be sure to return. The staff in all areas were truly delightful and nothing was to much trouble.
Clifton is charming and although my stay was short I would highly recommend the area and the Rodney.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Rosykate,
Thank you for taking the time to review The Rodney Hotel and for your kind words.
The staff have all been delighted with your feedback and we are so pleased you enjoyed the Rodney, No4 and Clifton itself.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney Hotel in the not to distant future.
Penzance
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed one night so we were close to family who live in Clifton. Very informal approach to hospitality, but with a helpful receptionist [Australian?]who pointed out the most convenient parking place and hauled our overnight bag to our room whilst we parked. It was just as well she did as our room at the top of the house was reached by a vertigious coiled narrow staircase up to what would have been servants rooms when the house was built. Nothing wrong with that & there seemed to be at least 6 rooms up there, but beware if you are at all infirm, be sure to ask for one lower down.
Part of a lovely Georgian terrace with residential neighbours in this iconic part of Bristol. It's a pity that it's been refurbished so cheaply - fixtures, fittings etc recent, working and clean but made as inexpensively as possible so don't expect antique touches here, more ARGOS.
There appeared to be a fancy dress party in full swing when we arrived, so the small restaurant can get lively I suppose, but we were not disturbed at all. Breakfast was fine, modest cold selection together with cooked to order.
For what we paid £110 - in Clifton - it was excellent value, but I would have paid more for better quality.

Room Tip: Top floor are quiet, but take your crampons
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 'Kehribar',
Thank you for your review of the Rodney Hotel. As a small independent hotel we are keen to offer a personal service that sets us apart from our larger chain counterparts, our aim is always to be efficient and personable. All our staff our happy to help with luggage, as without a lift in the hotel we appreciate the stairs can be tough and I am so glad Phae was able to assist you with this and also locating parking.
As all our rooms are slight different and spread over 3 floors, we are always happy pre-allocate rooms if guests have specific requirements. If you would like to stay with us again please don’t hesitate to mention your preferred floor.
We are incredibly lucky to be situated in such a beautiful Georgian terrace and I am glad you enjoyed the surroundings. All our bedroom furniture was designed specifically to fit our rooms and I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with the fixtures and fittings. I will be compiling a thorough audit of the room you stayed in to ensure we make any necessary upgrades.
I do sincerely hope you will return to the Rodney for a future visit and please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss anything further.
Hamshire
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Over priced for what it is, the hotel is tired and in need of decoration with a number of stains on the ceilings. The garden needs some serious work, even cutting the grass would be a great improvement. On the positive side the hotel and linen is very clean and the food very good. A little work would improve this place greatly. Be warned and the hotel do correctly advise so house point there, parking is very limited, and visitors will probably have to park on the road which a the time of visit took about 10 to 15 minutes. That said I had son qualms about leaving my car at the side of the road based on my observations of the location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lswr53
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food during your stay, I have passed these comments on to our restaurant staff, who were thrilled with the feedback.
We do have an ongoing refurbishment program at the Rodney and I will ensure we focus on the room you stayed in as a matter of urgency. Ensuring the decoration of the rooms is fresh is something we are working hard to maintain.
We do have a contracted gardener who visits the Rodney every other week during the summer months and they were actually scheduled to visit the day after your stay, so I apologise that the grass was looking a little over grown during your stay. I think with all this abnormal weather we have been experiencing the gardens have been having a bit of a growth spurt! We have a plan in place to add lots of additional wild flowers to our back garden so I hope that in a few months it will look glorious.
Our parking spaces are unfortunately limited but we are able to assist guests in finding alternative on street, free and unrestricted parking in the local area. Clifton Village is an extremely safe area of the city of Bristol and we have never had any reason to be concerned about guests leaving their cars on the street.
I do hope you will return to the Rodney and see how hard we have been working on the decoration improvements.
Kind Regards