“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Weston-super-MAre
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We chose the Rodney Hotel because of its proximity to the venue of a family wedding, Having visited the hotel website we were looking forward to a luxurious hotel and it was extremely disappointing to find that we were wrong. We arrived at around midday but were not able to access our room. That was not a problem as we dropped our overnight bag and headed off to the wedding, returning later that evening. We were shown to a basement room which was down a flight of stairs with dirty carpet. The room was big enough but very cheaply furnished, there was a hole in the side of the mattress, a number of the lights did not work, the door did not lock, and when we opened the window for some fresh air we realised that we were looking out on a subterranean bin store. The bathroom was large but black; black floors, black walls, very little lighting and very oppressive and a bit of a drainy smell. Breakfast the following morning was a bit of a lottery. When we arrived there was no member of staff present and all tables were either occupied or waiting to be cleared. Eventually, we sat at an uncleared table. Someone appeared and took our order but we had to ask for the table to be cleared. To be fair the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We waited a long time for our food to arrive and when it did, it was of exceptional quality - no budget sausages here! All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. They have a good hotel in a good location but, something is missing. It just needs more effort to bring it all together.

1 Thank Belvedere007
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Belvedere007,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate your feedback and I apologise for the issues you encountered during your stay.
I have conducted a thorough audit of the room you stayed in with my House Manager and Property Development Manager and we will be addressing the issues you have highlighted in your review.
We aim for the same high standard through out the Hotel and I am terribly disappointed you felt the room you were allocated to was below standard.
I am very pleased you were impressed with the high levels of service from the staff and I will pass your kind comments on to them.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in Clifton Village which is a beautiful area of Bristol and I hope that through our continued program of renewals and high levels of staff training we can provide you with a more enjoyable stay next time.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735422, should you wish to discuss your stay further.
Kind regards
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We were passing through Bristol and just stayed one night. We had a good discount on our room as it was a Sunday. The room was spacious and comfortable with an actual bath in the bathroom (preferable to just a shower). Parking was fine - limited but there was no problem. The building is part of a beautiful Georgian terrace in Clifton (nicest part of Bristol) with a lovely garden. Staff were polite and helpful and the breakfast was excellent (v. good Eggs Benedict!). Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Could be helpful to check which floor as there is no lift.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne W
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Anne W,
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you chose the Rodney for your stay and were pleased with the rooms and service and were able to enjoy our garden while the sun was still shining!
Our Sunday rates are always very competitive and by calling the hotel directly you are always sure to receive the best offer.
Our location in Clifton Village is a true asset and with so may beautiful shops, cafes and historical buildings, it is a wonderful location for visitors to Bristol.
I have passed our comments on to the breakfast team and my reception staff as well and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Hotel is in a great location for shops and restaurants in Clifton. Just a 5/10 minute walk to the suspension bridge too. We had 2 rooms, both at the back of the hotel so no problem with street noise. The double room was fine but the single room was very small. No lift so 3rd floor rooms a real climb, even the 2nd floor a bit of a climb. We had dinner in the hotel one night and breakfast each day and food was really good. The staff are the real draw to this hotel though as nothing is too much of a problem for them.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear CHerriot,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your kind comments on to the team who all remember your party fondly. Being a small hotel we pride ourselves on the service we are able to offer to our guests and it always lovely to hear that this is appreciated.
It is unfortunate that we are unable to install a lift at the Rodney. We have approached the Council several times regarding this, but due to the age and historic nature of the building, it is just not possible. The reception team are always happy to help guests with luggage on check in or check out as we appreciate the stairs can be a bit of a struggle.
Our room sizes do vary and we will always try to move rooms and pre-allocate when needed.
Thank you again for your review, and I hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney in the not to distant future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Arrived Bristol late on a Saturday night so did not have a great choice. No car park. Night Clubs in close vicinity. Taxi rank opposite. Bus stop similar. Noise until two PM. Room tiny, building old with three floors and no lift, not one of our better experiences. On the plus. side, staff were pleasant,breakfast was fine.,bedroom was clean with ensuite and plenty hot water.

Stayed August 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Alan G,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am terribly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the size of your room and the noise from the surrounding amenities.
As a listed building the sizes of our rooms do vary slightly and we are always happy to show guest alternative rooms if we have them available. Our reception team is always available to help our guests move should they wish to.
Rooms at the back of the hotel do tend to be quieter and we are always happy to allocate these rooms specifically when requested.
Clifton Village is full a beautiful historic area with an abundance of lovely bars and restaurants. I’m afraid in the summer months there do tend to be more people sitting outside enjoying the late evening warmth, which does mean the noise levels from the street will be higher. I have to say this is not an issue we have regularly, so I am terribly sorry you sleep was disturbed as a result.
I am so pleased you were happy with the service you received from our reception team. I will pass your comments on to them as well as to my housekeeping department.
All guest feedback is extremely important to us and if you would like to discuss any of the above details then please don’t hesitate to contact me on 01179 735422.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Lovely location for Clifton in Bristol. Well situated for restaurants and shops. Room was small and fairly basic. Could have had more towels. Curtains at window didn't go anywhere near to blocking light from halogens outside window. However, hotel responded promptly to this complaint when we mentioned it on checking out. Bed comfortable. WiFi chargeable - not good when so many places don't charge now - seems grasping.
Nice garden at front for drinks.

Room Tip: Rooms at front noisy with traffic and chat if windows open.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JJPLondon
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear ‘JJP London’,
I am pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel. Clifton is truly a beautiful area of Bristol and we are extremely lucky to be situation within it.
I apologise that you were not provided with the adequate number of towels during your stay, our 24hr reception service are always on hand to help guests with any additional provisions and can be easily contacted by dialing ‘0’ from the in room phone. We always ensure there are plenty of supplies in house, so please don’t hesitate to ask.
I hope you managed to visit our back garden for a drink as well as the front, as it is a real sun trap during these last sunny days!
Rooms at the back of the hotel do tend to be a bit quieter and we are always happy to allocate them when requested.
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney and I hope we can welcome you back for a future stay.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I stayed in this delightful boutique hotel for 14 nights in three stays in July & August, and could not fault it or the fantastic staff working there! Incredibly convenient for enjoying everything that Clifton has, the bars, restaurants, shopping and lovely walks into Bristol and the harbor. Good value as well at under GBP65 most nights, including breakfast (excellent cooked variety and continental). Lovely restaurant and gardens front and back allowing for al fresco eating and drinking. Advise to request back garden facing room to avoid road noise, and be careful about being put on 3rd floor as no lifts! Was quite warm/hot whilst we were there, so used fans. We will definitely come back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for garden facing if want to avoid road noise, and be aware 3 floors, and no lift!
1 Thank Faberge36
Dear Faberge36,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, my team remembers you both very fondly and were pleased to hear that you will be back next year!
We are indeed extremely lucky to be located in such a beautiful area of Bristol and the convenience of being able to walk around the city easily from here make it an ideal location to explore from.
Please don't hesitate to mention when booking next time, that you would prefer to be at the back of the hotel and on a lower floor, and my team will ensure this request is met.
All the best and kind regards,
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for one night on 17th August this year on our way to Cornwall but would not stay again. Our room was tiny - no space at all to move around. It was also dark and in really warm weather would be unbearably hot. The room was described by the rather curt receptionist as being on the ground floor but in reality was a basement room The way down to the room was via a dirty narrow stairwell sorely in need of redecoration, Other parts of the hotel were also a bit shabby. Other gripes included a TV that didn't work, no biscuits and limited milk /tea in the room and a charge levied for wi-fi (most places now offer this for free). The breakfast was ok but there was no fresh fruit on offer and hot drinks were self service from two hot water jugs, which was another petty feature of this establishment. Location in Clifton was good but parking is on the street. For £119 B&B for two I thought it was poor value for !money.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Guest,
I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us.
I am terribly sorry that you found the receptionist to be curt, I have spoken to this team member about their conduct and wanted to assure you that I will be taking this matter further. Our high levels of customer service have always been something we have prided ourselves on, and any behaviour seen to be not in line with this is taken very seriously.
I have completed a thorough room inspection of the room you were allocated to and also the stair well, and will be ensuring that as part of our continued program of renewals that these two areas are looked at in detail over the next week. We have already had the stair well walls scrubbed and repainted in light of your comments and this is something that we will certainly be keeping a closer eye on going forward.
I apologise that the TV in your room was not working. The switch on the wall had in fact been turned off by an energy conscious member of our housekeeping team. I have spoken to the House Manager about this, as I appreciate that a guest to the Hotel would not think to check the wall switch.
We recently changed the service of hot drinks from table service to self service in order to speed up the service and efficiency in the breakfast room. Receiving feedback of this nature is really valuable, as we want to ensure us guests are happy with the service we are providing and I will be passing your comments on to the Restaurant Manager.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel, it is extremely important we are aware of areas our guests feel we need to improve on.
If you would like to discuss any of the above comments in more detail then please don’t hesitate to contact me at the Rodney on 0117 9735422.
Kind regards