“Appalling”

Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Appalling”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife and I stayed 20-22nd December. We normally use a booking site but this time I phoned direct and asked for "best rate". I subsequently found I could have saved about 30%. I was told that parking was first come first served but there would be no problem. There was. I was directed to a small space and after struggling with my fairly small car found that it was not a space because it blocked a small gate. The room was the smallest double room I have ever known (called Executive of course) and icy cold. The radiator never worked because the system was off until the evening.

Breakfast was primitive - one queued up with mug and teabag at the hot water urn. Knife and fork had to be asked for. And so on. On departure I complained and was offered a 40% discount. My advice is avoid the Rodney unless you are desperate and always use a booking site.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Twig2013,
I am so terribly sorry that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay with us and despite our conversation on check out were still unhappy.
Commission from 3rd party travel websites can be as much as 23% per reservation made, so to a small independent hotel like ourselves it is extremely important to us that our guests do book with us. We will always happily match any offer found on line and I apologise that on this occasion this was not the case, as discussed on check out I was more than happy to offer you a discount to match the on line offer you had previously seen.
We do inform all guests where possible about our parking situation, as our spaces are limited and we would hate for our guests to be disappointed. We wouldn’t be able to guarantee a space outside the front of the hotel and I apologise if this was the impression you were given when you made the reservation. We have maps at reception to direct guests to on street parking if required.
I am really sorry that the room was cold when you arrived, the dramatic changes in the weather are really keeping us on our toes! We are trying to keep on top of this issue and as was provided for you, we do have additional heaters if required.

The breakfast buffet style was recently changed as many guests preferred the ease of the self service hot drinks. I apologise that this was not to your liking, we always appreciate guest feedback and I have passed your comments on to the Restaurant Manager. All the breakfast dishes are freshly prepared by our chefs upon ordering and there is waitress service through out breakfast, as feedback has told us that this style is preferred to the hot buffet.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735422.
I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas and Happy New Year.
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Oxford
Reviewed 7 December 2013

...good in parts! It's interesting to read other reviews on here, and to see that many of the negative points I noticed have a) been reported by other guests and b) the manager has replied to reviewers and promised to rectify them.
Overall my experience was fairly positive: lovely building, great location, public areas pleasant and well-decorated, very friendly reception staff. I didn't have breakfast, but it was nice to have real coffee/fruit/bikkies in the room. It would have been even nicer if these had been replenished - I didn't realise they were provided on a 'once they're gone, they're gone' basis.
Negatives: on arrival, I was told that the initial room allocated to me (an Executive Single) had been allocated to another guest: Receptionist took some time to find me an alternative (the booking system was unfamiliar to her as she'd only been working there a month). She found that room 21 was free, so I accepted that and paid for it.
When I reached the room, I was taken aback - it was much smaller than I expected. The description on booking.com was 'a large room' and it was said to be 11 sq metres. I'm not one of those people who goes around with a tapemeasure, but it did seem far smaller than that to me. Also, the shower-room had a dreadful smell - musty, damp, or drains.
I returned to reception and stated my concerns: the receptionist showed me 2 other single rooms, both on the 3rd floor. They were the same size as number 21, or smaller, and one smelled even worse than 21. So I settled for the latter, with a small discount.
The receptionist promised that the smell would be reported and attended to...no action taken. I reported the 'pong' again the following morning, went out all day, greeted by 'pong' on return.. I gave up (but mentioned it again on checking out next day, so at least the next guest might have a more pleasant stay)..
Other minuses: the matress was lumpy and the bed creaky. The key card had to be reprogrammed because it only worked for 24 hours (another guest I spoke to had this happen to them, and it was reported in other TripAdvisor reviews, too). There was a permanent puddle on the floor of the shower room near the washbasin (not because I was splashing water everywhere - I think the plumbing needs attention).
There was a horrible dirty patch behind the loo, and perhaps this was part of the problem.
The other point was the minute 'wardrobe' - hanging space was about a foot wide, so only room for 3 items of clothing - good job I wasn't staying for a week!

Room Tip: Avoid room 21
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank stormswept
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear stormswept,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel. I am sorry to read however that you were not completely happy with your stay.

I will always endeavor to rectify any issues pointed out to me by guest either through on line reviews or directly at the Hotel and would never knowingly disregard an issue or lie about solving it. Problems with the sizes of the rooms etc are slightly harder for me to solve, but any service or decoration feedback will always be discussed with my staff, house keeping manager or our in house maintenance team.

I have checked the Booking.com descriptions of our rooms and have amended the average size of our single rooms. I have to be completely honest and say that I did not realise there was such detail on this site and have never had a guest bring it to my attention before. I can only assume that this measurement was there by default and I sincerely apologise that you were therefore mislead. I have now changed all their descriptions.
All the rooms in the hotel are of an Executive standard, this means they all come with in room mini-bars, en-suite bathrooms, complimentary fresh tea, coffee and fresh fruit as well as our full hospitality package.

I apologise that there was a little confusion when you checked in to the Hotel with regards to your room. It wasn’t actually the case that there was another guest in your room, my receptionist was simply trying to find the best room for you. Unfortunately as the hotel was fully booked on the night of your visit we didn’t have a huge number of rooms to show you and as a new member of staff, Vicky was just finding her bearing. I will be ensuring that she becomes a lot more familiar with all the rooms in the hotel.

As we are situated in a period property, and are room sizes do vary, we will always do our best to accommodate the needs of our guests. We are happy to pre-allocate rooms where available and if you call directly to make your reservations we can talk you through in more detail the options best suited to your needs. We are a small team and will always do our best to make our guests as comfortable as possible.

I am terribly sorry for the smell in your room and that this issue was dealt with as a matter of urgency. I can assure you that this matter has been addressed and I have spoken to my reception team regarding their communication regarding this sort of matter.

I hope that you may consider returning to the Rodney Hotel.
Kind Regards and Merry Christmas,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This hotel has a great location in the middle of Clifton with shops, restaurants etc within easy walking distance and bus stops and a cab rank outside.The hotel is reasonable, my single room was small but perfectly adequate with a bowl of fruit, filter coffee and leaf tea as well as the usual sachets. It was on the top (third) floor which was good exercise as there is no lift. The room was lovely and warm as it was bitter outside. Though clean it was probably is due for a redecoration as there was an old water stain on the ceiling. Not many channels on the tv (I never understand why all the freeview channels are not included) though there was a dvd function on it. There was also a radio/cd system with speakers but I found the volume controls difficult with the lowest volume rather loud - and as there was some inter room noise I did not risk it.

Staff were very helpful, efficient and friendly and it seemed a happy ship. Breakfast is taken in the restaurant though on my first morning it was in the bar for some reason. At weekends it starts at 8am which is rather late. It is cooked to order so it is not particularly quick and could eat into your sight seeing time. I arrived at 8am and the (bar) room was full 5 minutes later which would suggest people were waiting. There was someone who couldn't get a table. Having said this the breakfast itself was very good, hot and fresh. A good hotel all round and good value as I had a deal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Redwing58,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with and that our lovely location suited you.
We are indeed very lucky to be situated in the center of Clifton Village, not only is it a beautiful area to visit, but the transport links around the rest of the city are extremely efficient.

I’m glad you liked our complimentary fruit in the room as well as the fresh tea and coffee. We have taken a lot of time to ensure all our items are sourced from small independent local companies in Bristol and I am always pleased to hear when they are being enjoyed.

We are always looking to improve the hotel for future guests and I will ensure the repainting of your room is on our priority list.

I am very lucky to have the team I have at the Rodney and I like to think that we are a very ‘happy ship’! They always appreciate guests kind comments, so I will pass your review on to the team.

I have also spoken to the Restaurant Manager about the delay in service to breakfast during your stay and they will be working very hard on increasing the speed with which the food is served whilst maintaining the high quality.

Thank you again for your review and please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you need accommodation in Bristol in the future.
Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

The single room was very basic and like a university bedroom! For the price I thought it was very average - no lift even though there were several floors, my door was very difficult to lock and looked like someone had tried to force it at one point as the frame was damaged. However the location for Clifton Villlage was very good and the staff were friendly. I wouldn't choose to stay there again though as I was very disappointed considering the price I paid as it wasn't much better then a premier inn or such like to be honest.

• Stayed October 2013
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear FionaHunty,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney, I am sorry to read however that you found us to only be of average standard.
We understand that our rooms do vary in size which is why we have spent a considerable amount of time saucing furniture that would suit the rooms and also be functional. We hoped that with the tailor made bedspreads, curtains, individual hand made art work and unique colour themes in each room, that they would feel more personal and individual than a Premier Inn and I’m sorry you felt we have not achieved this. We are always striving to improve, so I will be looking at the room you stayed in, in detail with my House Manager. I am so proud of the service my staff give and would wish that this personal feeling is replicated in the rooms as well.
Unfortunately we are unable to install a lift due to the age and period nature of our building. I do appreciate that although the staircase it a beautiful feature, a trip to the 3rd floor, with luggage, can be difficult, which is why we have a 24hr reception service to ensure a member of our team is on hand to help whenever necessary.
We are always happy to pre-allocate rooms lower down in the hotel when requested.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735422 should you wish to discuss any of the above in more detail.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed, for just one night, with my son (17). On arrival, there were two receptionists on duty, and, in fact, every time we went through reception, this was the case; so we were never left "dangling". There was a gorgeous aroma of beeswax polish. I had a room on the very top floor, and the final little flight of stairs was a bit of a sting in the tail for my legs. (I could have easily swapped rooms with my son, but wasn`t that bothered.) The room was compact, but the term "Swiss Army Knife" came to mind, as it seemed to have everything I might need, all neatly tucked away. And if there was anything else required, I could ring reception; each time I rang down (to get Wifi password and suchlike) the phone was immediately answered and my query dealt with there and then. As I was travel-weary, I tried to sleep at 9.30 pm, more fool me, but this, unsurprisingly, proved a tall order on a Saturday night. I could hear distant traffic noise and the sound of revellers going down the street far below, but things did eventually go quiet, and sleep came. My son`s room overlooked the rear garden, and he had no problems with noise. The menu looked great, but we didn`t get the opportunity to dine there, on this occasion; there were "uncynical" choices for vegetarian diners, and by that I mean there were exciting, thoughtful, meat-free options, without that "curled lip" attitude I have sometimes encountered elsewhere. Breakfast was taken in the lovely dining-room (with the beeswax-polished tables), and it was beautifully set out, with carafes of fruit-juice, a continually refilled coffe-pot, cereals, and toast with extras to order. All clean and fresh. All the staff that I had contact with seemed to have a clear vision of their function, and were unerringly helpful. We both loved the place and there`s no doubt we will aim to stay there the next time we visit Clifton.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear might be quieter. Ask for a room on a lower level if your legs aren`t up to the f...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Ann C,
Thank you so much for your kind review. The staff were all thrilled that you and your son enjoyed your stay and remember you fondly.

We are in the process of training some new members of staff and I am so pleased they are already delivering such a high standard of customer service.
Rooms to the back of the hotel, such as the one your son was allocated to, over looking our garden, do tend to be a bit quieter and we are always happy to pre-allocate these rooms when requested.

I am glad you found all you needed in your room. As a period building, where our room sizes do vary, we have put a lot of time and thought in to ensuring each of our rooms is well appointed and has everything you may need, so I am always pleased when our guests feel we have achieved this.

I sincerely hope that on a future visit you will be able to test our restaurant and enjoy one of our vegetarian options. I have passed your comments on to our chefs who appreciated the feedback and will continue to ensure our options are as varied for all patrons.

Training our staff to the highest possible standards is a task I place the highest importance on and also ensuring all our staff our passionate about their work. I am truly delighted that this is coming across to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the not to distant future.
Kind Regards
bristol
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had our works party last night, fantastic venue as the size was perfect and we had the place to ourselves. We had Prosecco and canapes on arrival which was delicious and later we had the BBQ which was served inside which went down very well, all my collegues enjoyed!! Excellent night and recommend for a party!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear TylerB,

I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent event at our restaurant, No4 Clifton Village.
It is such a lovely intimate venue and now that we have just finished our beautiful refurbishment it has been transformed and looks superb.
I will pass your kind feedback on to all the staff at No4 and look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect, having lived in Bristol for 5 years in the late 90's staying in Clifton Village was a must and the Rodney hotel is as the manager sais "ideally situated"

Our room was allocated on the top floor, not a problem as we are both quite capable on getting up three flights, a fan is allready in the room because as you know heat rises, and it did. Window opened, however no lock and it is is close proximity to the neighbouring room. We have mentioned this to the receptionist who has ensured it would be fed back to the correct person.

We managed to park on the road as there were no spaces outside the hotel so that wasn't a problem. I did find walking in and out of the hotel quite intimidating as there always seemed to be two to three additional members of staff hanging around reception alongside the receptionist. Not a bad hotel however not as good as I thought it would be.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CHughes2610
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Mr Hughes,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel, I hope the Clifton area hadn’t changed too much since your last visit and you enjoyed revisiting the area.
I am sorry the hotel wasn’t as you expected and I apologise for the abundance of staff in the reception area. We are in the process of having our bar and restaurant refurbished and I’m afraid as a result space is limited. We appreciate that this is not an ideal situation and we are grateful for the patience of our guests. We hope to have the work completed very shortly and are all extremely excited about the new look of No4. I sincerely hope you will return to the Rodney once this is completed and I am sure you will find an improvement.
The receptionist passed your message straight on to me regarding the window, and we will be adding a lock, in addition to the window blocks.
We are extremely lucky to be in Clifton Village and I’m glad you enjoyed being back in this area. Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss your stay further.