“Good in parts”

Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Chester
“Good in parts”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here for one night on business.

Could not fault the staff - helpful and friendly at all times.

Managed to park immediately outside the hotel. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent.

The room itself, though, was poor. It was clean and reasonably well equipped. But it was small. On the third floor without any lift. The floor in the bathroom was so spongy that I half expected to surprise the person in the room below. It was also noisy as the walls/door were thin, so you could hear everyone else coming and going.

I was torn between giving three or four stars. Opted for four on the basis that all the things that could be managed on a day to day basis were done very well. But the building needs some real attention.

Room Tip: I would opt for first or second floor if available, avoiding the narrow, winding stairs to the top.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Authoritis,
Thank you very much for reviewing the Rodney Hotel. I have passed your kind feedback on to the team who were thrilled to read your kind words.

I really appreciate your honest feedback, we will of course be asking our maintenance department to take a look at the floor in the bathroom in light of your comments. As an old building we do have rolling process of renewals in place to ensure we are looking after the building and maintaining it.
We are unfortunately unable to fit a lift, but the reception team is always trained to offer to help with luggage for guests allocated to any floor. I will speak to them regarding this to ensure it is always happening.

If you do need accommodation in Bristol in the future don’t hesitate to contact us directly and we can ensure you are allocated to a room lower down.
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Excellently situated in the heart of regency Clifton Village. Parking no problem - what a change!
Sadly I was only staying for one night. I had hoped that the weather forecast would lengthen my stay but no luck. I was greeted by two charming receptionists (one a very competent trainee); they were only too pleased to help and answer my legion questions. My room was 'bijou' but none the worst for that as it was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The restaurant was 'shabby chic' and the menu a little limited but the chef had obviously been well trained and the food was first class. The waitresses at dinner and breakfast were welcoming nicely spoken and very competent and the service faultless. I seldom have need to go to Bristol but I will certainly make a bee-line to Clifton at any given opportunity.

Room Tip: The hotel had an enclosed garden which would be an excellent place to enjoy a nice cup of tea or dri...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Richard595,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased you appreciated the location of the hotel, Clifton Village is a truly beautiful area of Bristol and it is always great to receive such positive feedback.

The girls on reception and in housekeeping were delighted with your comments (and Maria continues to go from strength to strength!) It is always lovely when a guest takes the time to let us know how their visit went and as a small independent hotel this makes all the difference.

The chefs work incredibly hard to ensure the menu is always fresh and changing, and therefore keep the choice smaller so they can really focus on the quality.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of the team directly should you wish to book again.
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Real mixed bag from staying at this hotel - I have stayed 4 times for 2 or more nights now and each time something goes wrong...

Firstly the pros - the location is perfect for Clifton and generally you can get parked outside the hotel or close by down one of the free streets. Cleanliness was very good in the hotel with all rooms being well maintained.

Not so great - the noise from parties, on two occasions there were events at the hotel which went on until 1 am in the morning... And to top it off when I complained on the night the night receptionist lied about what time it was finishing - I couldn't decide what annoyed me more, the noise or the lies!! Also, the key cards regularly need recharging, whilst this is fine on the first floor on the third it's a bit of a drag!

Overall it's a basic three star hotel which is fine for a brief stay mid week. The staff were generally very good apart from a couple I came across.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hammerrr78
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Hammerrr78,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. All feedback is helpful and especially from our returning guests.

I am so pleased you like the location of the Hotel, Clifton Village is such a beautiful area of the city and so conveniently located for so many areas.
I am pleased to hear that one of your pros is the cleanliness of the hotel. My House Manager and her team work extremely hard behind the scenes to ensure our high standards are maintained, and always appreciate positive feedback.

I am terribly sorry that two of your stays have been impacted as a result of parties taking place at the Hotel. I know that my night staff would never intentionally lie about what time a party will finish and I apologise if this seems to have been the case. As this review shows, it would not in their best interest to do so, as this could only lead to further complaints. In light of your comments, we will be bringing the music cut off forward to ensure that Hotel guests are not impacted by the noise and I will instruct my night staff to be a lot more proactive in ensuring party guests keep the noise down as they leave the hotel. I will also ensure the restaurant staff does the same.

The service the hotel offers is usually something our guest’s rate very highly, so I am disappointed to read that there have been occasions when you didn’t feel the service was up to standard. All my staff attend regular in house training and service is always the primary focus. I will be speaking to the team as a whole about this and would love any additional feedback you may have on any individuals.
Please don’t hesitate to give me a call on 0117 9735422 or email me amy.allen@cliftonhotels.com.

Amy

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed at The Rodney to attend a friends wedding at Clifton Club. Room was small but clean and neat, bathroom was large and very warm! All mod cons inc fresh fruit in the room. Breakfast was in a gorgeous light and airy room, good selection for breakfast and all well presented. Staff all extremely friendly and chatty. Overall a lovely stay and would definitely recommend for a great stay in Clifton Bristol!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Melboard,
Thank you for your kind review of the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us and found the complimentary items in the room to your liking.
Our high levels of customer service are something we pride ourselves on so I will be passing your lovely comments on to the team.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

What a nightmare - have called several times since January to book a room as two of our bests friends are getting married here in April but getting a family room is a problem!!!
We are a family of 4, but apparently we can only have 3 in a room. The only suggestion from the hotel so far has been to book two rooms so the kids can have one and we have another!!! As our youngest is young enough to share our bed so we have suggested this an option (although not ideal) and have agreed to pay the extra charge for both children but we still don't have a definite answer!!!!
Would never book here if we didn't have to and would have gone somewhere else after the first call! Lets hope the venue doesn't let the happy couple down!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear KTandJase,
Thank you for your feedback. I can’t apologise enough that we don’t have a family room to offer you for your stay. We don’t actually have any family rooms at the Rodney and don’t advertise as such, we will always try to accommodate all guests’ needs but we do only have rooms big enough to fit one additional child bed.
The offer of the doubles allocated next to each other, was for one adult and one child to be in each room, we would obviously not expect your children to be alone in one room and I am sorry that it may have come across like that.
My colleague had left the decision with yourselves to either have the rooms here or book a family room at one of our sister hotels that is only located a 10 minute walk from the Rodney, so please don’t hesitate to contact either myself or the reception team to discuss this reservation further.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights (14th & 15th Jan) on a course that was also held there.
Like most of us do these days, I looked at trip advisor to check the reviews of others. The staff cannot do enough for you. Nothing was too much trouble. I even came down from my room at 10.30pm to get some assistance with my laptop getting online to finish a project and it was sorted.
My room (Room 28) was at the top of the hotel and I have to say, contained the most comfortable bed I have had in a hotel of this star rating. The room was spotless and the sheets were clean and changed each day of my stay. The fresh fruit and freshly ground coffee were also a very nice touch.
In terms of parking I have this to say. opposite the hotel are several side streets and I found a parking space within minutes. This was not down to luck because there were many other free spaces to use so parking will not be an issue.
I think for the money, the hotel provided me with excellent accommodation. Many people on the course I was attending had stayed at a premier inn and paid the same price that I did but they also had the added issue of travelling to get to the course. This adds to the costs and adds to the value that I had whilst at the Rodney. I cannot recommend the hotel and its staff enough. Will definitely be booking again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank David B
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear David B,

Thank you so much for your review of the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and you appreciated the little touches in the room. Feedback of this kind is always so motivational to the team and they all remembered you fondly.
We look forward to your next visit to Bristol.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife and I stayed 20-22nd December. We normally use a booking site but this time I phoned direct and asked for "best rate". I subsequently found I could have saved about 30%. I was told that parking was first come first served but there would be no problem. There was. I was directed to a small space and after struggling with my fairly small car found that it was not a space because it blocked a small gate. The room was the smallest double room I have ever known (called Executive of course) and icy cold. The radiator never worked because the system was off until the evening.

Breakfast was primitive - one queued up with mug and teabag at the hot water urn. Knife and fork had to be asked for. And so on. On departure I complained and was offered a 40% discount. My advice is avoid the Rodney unless you are desperate and always use a booking site.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Twig2013,
I am so terribly sorry that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay with us and despite our conversation on check out were still unhappy.
Commission from 3rd party travel websites can be as much as 23% per reservation made, so to a small independent hotel like ourselves it is extremely important to us that our guests do book with us. We will always happily match any offer found on line and I apologise that on this occasion this was not the case, as discussed on check out I was more than happy to offer you a discount to match the on line offer you had previously seen.
We do inform all guests where possible about our parking situation, as our spaces are limited and we would hate for our guests to be disappointed. We wouldn’t be able to guarantee a space outside the front of the hotel and I apologise if this was the impression you were given when you made the reservation. We have maps at reception to direct guests to on street parking if required.
I am really sorry that the room was cold when you arrived, the dramatic changes in the weather are really keeping us on our toes! We are trying to keep on top of this issue and as was provided for you, we do have additional heaters if required.

The breakfast buffet style was recently changed as many guests preferred the ease of the self service hot drinks. I apologise that this was not to your liking, we always appreciate guest feedback and I have passed your comments on to the Restaurant Manager. All the breakfast dishes are freshly prepared by our chefs upon ordering and there is waitress service through out breakfast, as feedback has told us that this style is preferred to the hot buffet.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0117 9735422.
I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas and Happy New Year.