“Convenient Location”

Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Pembroke, United Kingdom
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in March. Good points - the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly, the breakfasts were delicious, and the hotel is very convenient if you are visiting the Nuffield Hospital (within walking distance). The single room was small, but clean and well-furnished, and it was good to have a bath and a shower ensuite. On the negative side, the room was very noisy - there was a fair gap under the door, so any noise from the corridor or the function room below came through loud and clear. The worst night was when a couple with a small baby stayed in the room opposite - the child screamed for most of the night so nobody got any sleep! I would suggest that some attention is paid to soundproofing the doors.

Would I stay again? Yes, because the staff are great, the food is excellent, and the location is good, but only if I could get a quieter room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Nephilim-Lady,

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in March and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
We work extremely hard on ensuring all our staff our delivering the best possible levels of customer service and I am thrilled that you were made to feel at home and welcome during your stay.

The location of the Rodney is extremely convenient for visiting Nuffield Hospital and with excellent transport links from the village to across Bristol, we are an idea base for any visit.
I do apologise that your sleep was disturbed, installing additional door seals is certainly something I am going to speak to our maintenance team about installing to prevent this from being an issue for future guests.

We are always happy to allocate guest to our quieter rooms on request, so please don’t hesitate to mention this next time you make a reservation with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the near future.

Best Wishes
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel has very friendly staff and a nice bar, but the rooms are very disappointing, very basic and the bed was very uncomfortable. Not value for money and my room was noisy overlooking the street.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane H
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Jane H,

I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us at the Rodney Hotel.
I am always disheartened when guests leave the hotel dissatisfied, especially if some areas, such as the service, have been well received. I would therefore greatly appreciate any additional feedback you would be happy to pass on to me. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on either 0117 9735 422 or email me directly on amy.allen@cliftonhotels.com
Kind regards
Amy Allen

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a few occasions, the staff have always been very helpful and polite although I was disappointed with the quality and size of what is described as an executive double room. The top floor, benefits from being quieter but has no lift and a very narrow steep stairway to the top. There is no useful parking, although transport links are good. When checking in the receptionist advised a wedding party were in but that it shouldn't be too noisy or go on late. It was shockingly noisy, my room directly over the disco and people were spilling onto the street to smoke, drink and chat loudly. Being a guest on business I wouldn't recommend this hotel for weekend travelers. The music was so loud I could feel vibrations through the floor. Got to be better executive quality rooms in the location that are better value, worth time to look I suggest. This one needs lots of attention to bring it up to scratch, and consideration to guests when making money on parties. I will not return!

Room Tip: If you had to stay and we're good with stairs then the quieter rooms are at the back on the top...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FTF15
Dear BeHonest2014,

Thank you for reviewing the Rodney Hotel. Honest reviews and feedback are very important to us, and especially from guests that have stayed with us before.

I am pleased to read that you have always been impressed with the levels of service we provide, as a small independent hotel we do place a lot of importance on our customer service and all team members attend regular in house training sessions.
On this note, we do appreciate that not having a lift is not ideal and all staff are trained to ask all guests on arrival if they would like any help with their luggage. We do also have 24 hr reception so there is always a member of staff on hand to do the running on our guest’s behalf.

I do appreciate that our parking is limited. In an area such as Clifton Village, parking is at a premium, meaning our seven spaces can be busy. We do endeavor to call all guests prior to arrival to explain the parking situation and have maps on reception informing guests of alternative parking in the area. I do agree that public transport links in this area are very good and extremely close to the hotel for those guests who are thinking of not traveling by car to Bristol.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the Executive room you stayed in and were disturbed by the wedding party we had using our restaurant on Friday evening. We will always try to pre-warn guests of a party of this nature and allocate rooms as far away from the party as possible at the rear of the hotel. I will speak to my reception team about this and also advising guests at the time of making a reservation for any weekend that weddings are a possibility.
We do have a rolling process of renewals and I will ensure that my House Manager, in house Maintenance team and I, have a detailed look at the room you were allocated too too ensure our Executive standard is being maintained.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on 0117 9735422 if you would like to discuss your recent stay in more details as I would be disappointed if you chose not to stay with us again.
Amy Allen
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Good spot area because i not expect oppsite Taxi and Bus. easy access.
Good local
10 mini walk to Clifton suspension Bridge .
Bedroom had no lace for window only Curtain.
Very disappointment : wall small television but no access Subtitles for Hard of hearing / deaf.
No lift . Warning for elderly People use go upstair and downstair .
Nice breakfast and hot drink.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Very quite Back Garden and sunny day . allow outside…
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear sportwoman_10,

Thank you for reviewing the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you found the transport links in Clifton easy to use. We are extremely lucky to be situated in such a beautiful location, close to the famous Suspension Bridge and with the added bonus of easy links to the rest of the city.

All of our TVs are fitted with a subtitles function and a member of our 24hr team would be happy to help you access this if you were to return to the hotel. Alternatively please don’t hesitate to email us in advance of your visit and we will ensure instructions are left for you. We are also more than happy to pre allocate rooms on specific floors if requested in advance.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney in the future and hopefully on a sunny day so you can enjoy our beautiful garden.

Purley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The staff were extremely helpful and made me very welcome. They went out of their way to deal with all my requirements, including a food intolerance. Any problems that arose have been addressed and I have been very impressed with their desire to ensure that their guests are completely satisfied, both before, during and after their stay. The location of the hotel is excellent with plenty of cafés, restaurants and lovely shops. The Clifton Suspension Bridge is a short walk and there is plenty to see in the area. I was on a course in the afternoons and I didn't have a car, but I found plenty to do and see locally to keep me amused. I didn't eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast which was very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Diane D
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Diane D,

Thank you very much for your review of the Rodney Hotel and for taking the time to speak with me yesterday.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village, which is such a beautiful and historic area of Bristol. There are also great transport links, so the center of Bristol is only a short bus ride away, making Clifton a perfect base for leisure or business visits.
I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney in the future.
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was our second attempt to stay at the Rodney having been 'relocated' last year to their sister hotel the Clifton. So pleased we persevered and booked this short break. We were made to feel welcome from the minute we walked in the door. Knowing the difficulty finding parking in Bristol it was worth the £6.50 per day parking to park right outside the hotel. After reading the previous reviews we asked for a room at the back with a bath. It was no trouble and we were accommodated very easily. Any request, like extra milk and teabags, was dealt with. Our room was on the 3rd floor (the last staircase is a killer) and there is no lift, but the staff are more than happy to carry your bags up stairs if you wish. Our room was clean, comfortable, a decent size and very quiet.
One of the best reasons for staying at the Rodney is its location. Clifton village is a particularly nice area of Bristol and we chose it for its proximity to the Coronation Tap. Worth a visit is you like cider. The walk into the centre is about 20-30 minutes,but there is a bus stop right outside the hotel if you don't feel like walking. The staff are more than happy to give you any information you want about places to visit, local transport, places to eat etc. Breakfast choice was good and delicious and judging by some of our fellow guests requests they are happy to cater for personal tastes. We will be back to Bristol for another visit and will be staying at the Rodney.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet. Ask for a room on the first or second floor if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Front Office Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Danny K,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney and for your kind response, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Clifton is indeed a very beautiful part of the city, which we always encourage our guests to explore during their stay.
We always want to accommodate individual needs by picking the room best suited for each guest, keeping in mind that your next stay shall require a floor below your last!
I will pass on your lovely words to the team and the restaurant who take pride in their work and high levels of customer service.

Parking can be difficult in Clifton, but the staff will always direct you to the best areas available if our spaces are occupied. These areas are unrestricted and a short walk away from us.

We thank you again for your words and look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the not too distant future.

Phae
Winslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed 2 nights. Nice staff. Single room was tiny, but both the room and the hotel very clean and well designed & furnished. Food was very good. Only negative was car parking - it's a nightmare! Lots of cafes, bars & restaurants nearby

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Front Office Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Rodney. We are very lucky in our location in the heart of Clifton, surrounded by Georgian architecture and a variety of boutique shops and restaurants. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced with parking, we do always inform our guests in advance of our limited spaces in order to avoid disappointment. There are unrestricted areas of parking we direct guests too in case we are full, while reception are more than happy to print and highlight the best areas for you on a map.

I am very pleased to hear that enjoyed the restaurant and decor of the hotel. We try and keep a high standard in our rooms, though sometimes room sizes can vary, due to it being a grade listed building. If you are visiting Bristol again we will make sure to allocate you to a room that is most comfortable to you.
If you do need a room in the future do not hesitate to contact us directly on 01179735422.

Kind regards