“Do not stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Edmonton, Canada
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was jet lagged but in their wisdom the management decided I should be put on the ground floor right next to a wedding party. This is not a joke, but was my terrible experience at this hotel (and did I say that the toilet for the wedding party was also next to my room?). The room itself was less than half the size I would expect, with only a single bed in it (yes, it was a single room), and the quality of the furnishings was very mediocre. This hotel may have managed a 2-star, and the staff were trying to be nice, but my experience does not justify more than 1-star. I come to Bristol a lot, and it is a shame that this hotel, that looks so nice from the outside, has a very poor interior, poor rooms, and obviously a mantra to maximize every cent. This hotel room should never be used, let alone on nights like this, but it is symptomatic of the hotel. My advice? Avoid..

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room in the place. Those of us who stayed in "singles" may have a...
1 Thank Peter S
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am terribly sorry that your stay with us was disturbed by the wedding taking place.
I will always do my best to improve the hotel based on feedback from guests and I have impressed upon my team the importance of noticing, when guests check in, the suitability of the room for the guest.

I hope that your room for the second night of your stay, at the back of the hotel, was a lot quieter.
We are always more than happy to accommodate requests from guests on the location of their room and with are 24 hour reception service, guests call all at any time.

With regards to our 3 star rating, in our most recent AA inspection we scored well for the décor of the rooms and public areas. We do have an ongoing schedule of refurbishment at the Rodney Hotel and will ensure our attentions are focused on the room you were allocated to.

We do offer both single and double rooms and all relevant room details can be found on our website and other 3rd party websites we are advertised on. I apologize that there was some confusion over the room you booked, I will be contacting Expedia to ensure these details are made clearer on their site in particular.

Once again I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, I do hope that, should you return to the Bristol area, you would consider staying with us again.
I would be more than happy to handle your booking myself and to offer you a discount on one of our nicer rooms.

Kind regards
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I only stopped here for one night on business but my first impression was nice building with no parking. Parking is very limited with timed parking on the side streets.
Receptionist and the other staff were very helpful and friendly. My room was on the top floor overlooking the garden which was nice, my room was a little dated and in need of a lick of paint, the room was provided with daily essentials and the bed was very comfortable. Being on the top floor I really struggled with wifi.
The meals in the restaurant were lovely but very pricey, the breakfasts were amazing, hats off to the chef for his poached eggs!!
I would stay here again, it's very near the centre so very well placed for an evening out if I came back for pleasure.

1 Thank kebab2
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Kebab2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Rodney Hotel.

We are able to offer our guests seven parking spaces directly outside the hotel, on a first come first serve basis. As a historic area of Bristol, the parking in Clifton Village is limited, however the public transport links are superb and extremely convenient to the Hotel and my team are always happy to help direct guests to unrestricted parking a short walk from the hotel.

My team makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set for ourselves and I am pleased that you were pleased with the service you received during your stay.
It is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests and I have addressed the decoration issues with my house manager and our maintenance team.

I will certainly pass your feedback regarding the restaurant prices to our Restaurant Manager and to David our head chef, about the poached eggs!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Pembroke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in March. Good points - the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly, the breakfasts were delicious, and the hotel is very convenient if you are visiting the Nuffield Hospital (within walking distance). The single room was small, but clean and well-furnished, and it was good to have a bath and a shower ensuite. On the negative side, the room was very noisy - there was a fair gap under the door, so any noise from the corridor or the function room below came through loud and clear. The worst night was when a couple with a small baby stayed in the room opposite - the child screamed for most of the night so nobody got any sleep! I would suggest that some attention is paid to soundproofing the doors.

Would I stay again? Yes, because the staff are great, the food is excellent, and the location is good, but only if I could get a quieter room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Nephilim-Lady,

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in March and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
We work extremely hard on ensuring all our staff our delivering the best possible levels of customer service and I am thrilled that you were made to feel at home and welcome during your stay.

The location of the Rodney is extremely convenient for visiting Nuffield Hospital and with excellent transport links from the village to across Bristol, we are an idea base for any visit.
I do apologise that your sleep was disturbed, installing additional door seals is certainly something I am going to speak to our maintenance team about installing to prevent this from being an issue for future guests.

We are always happy to allocate guest to our quieter rooms on request, so please don’t hesitate to mention this next time you make a reservation with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the near future.

Best Wishes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel has very friendly staff and a nice bar, but the rooms are very disappointing, very basic and the bed was very uncomfortable. Not value for money and my room was noisy overlooking the street.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane H
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Jane H,

I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us at the Rodney Hotel.
I am always disheartened when guests leave the hotel dissatisfied, especially if some areas, such as the service, have been well received. I would therefore greatly appreciate any additional feedback you would be happy to pass on to me. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on either 0117 9735 422 or email me directly on amy.allen@cliftonhotels.com
Kind regards
Amy Allen

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a few occasions, the staff have always been very helpful and polite although I was disappointed with the quality and size of what is described as an executive double room. The top floor, benefits from being quieter but has no lift and a very narrow steep stairway to the top. There is no useful parking, although transport links are good. When checking in the receptionist advised a wedding party were in but that it shouldn't be too noisy or go on late. It was shockingly noisy, my room directly over the disco and people were spilling onto the street to smoke, drink and chat loudly. Being a guest on business I wouldn't recommend this hotel for weekend travelers. The music was so loud I could feel vibrations through the floor. Got to be better executive quality rooms in the location that are better value, worth time to look I suggest. This one needs lots of attention to bring it up to scratch, and consideration to guests when making money on parties. I will not return!

Room Tip: If you had to stay and we're good with stairs then the quieter rooms are at the back on the top...
1 Thank FTF15
Dear BeHonest2014,

Thank you for reviewing the Rodney Hotel. Honest reviews and feedback are very important to us, and especially from guests that have stayed with us before.

I am pleased to read that you have always been impressed with the levels of service we provide, as a small independent hotel we do place a lot of importance on our customer service and all team members attend regular in house training sessions.
On this note, we do appreciate that not having a lift is not ideal and all staff are trained to ask all guests on arrival if they would like any help with their luggage. We do also have 24 hr reception so there is always a member of staff on hand to do the running on our guest’s behalf.

I do appreciate that our parking is limited. In an area such as Clifton Village, parking is at a premium, meaning our seven spaces can be busy. We do endeavor to call all guests prior to arrival to explain the parking situation and have maps on reception informing guests of alternative parking in the area. I do agree that public transport links in this area are very good and extremely close to the hotel for those guests who are thinking of not traveling by car to Bristol.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the Executive room you stayed in and were disturbed by the wedding party we had using our restaurant on Friday evening. We will always try to pre-warn guests of a party of this nature and allocate rooms as far away from the party as possible at the rear of the hotel. I will speak to my reception team about this and also advising guests at the time of making a reservation for any weekend that weddings are a possibility.
We do have a rolling process of renewals and I will ensure that my House Manager, in house Maintenance team and I, have a detailed look at the room you were allocated too too ensure our Executive standard is being maintained.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on 0117 9735422 if you would like to discuss your recent stay in more details as I would be disappointed if you chose not to stay with us again.
Amy Allen
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Good spot area because i not expect oppsite Taxi and Bus. easy access.
Good local
10 mini walk to Clifton suspension Bridge .
Bedroom had no lace for window only Curtain.
Very disappointment : wall small television but no access Subtitles for Hard of hearing / deaf.
No lift . Warning for elderly People use go upstair and downstair .
Nice breakfast and hot drink.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Very quite Back Garden and sunny day . allow outside…
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear sportwoman_10,

Thank you for reviewing the Rodney Hotel.
I am so pleased you found the transport links in Clifton easy to use. We are extremely lucky to be situated in such a beautiful location, close to the famous Suspension Bridge and with the added bonus of easy links to the rest of the city.

All of our TVs are fitted with a subtitles function and a member of our 24hr team would be happy to help you access this if you were to return to the hotel. Alternatively please don’t hesitate to email us in advance of your visit and we will ensure instructions are left for you. We are also more than happy to pre allocate rooms on specific floors if requested in advance.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney in the future and hopefully on a sunny day so you can enjoy our beautiful garden.

Purley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The staff were extremely helpful and made me very welcome. They went out of their way to deal with all my requirements, including a food intolerance. Any problems that arose have been addressed and I have been very impressed with their desire to ensure that their guests are completely satisfied, both before, during and after their stay. The location of the hotel is excellent with plenty of cafés, restaurants and lovely shops. The Clifton Suspension Bridge is a short walk and there is plenty to see in the area. I was on a course in the afternoons and I didn't have a car, but I found plenty to do and see locally to keep me amused. I didn't eat in the restaurant apart from breakfast which was very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Diane D
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Diane D,

Thank you very much for your review of the Rodney Hotel and for taking the time to speak with me yesterday.
We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village, which is such a beautiful and historic area of Bristol. There are also great transport links, so the center of Bristol is only a short bus ride away, making Clifton a perfect base for leisure or business visits.
I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to the Rodney in the future.