“Impressed!”
Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have previously stayed at 2 other hotels within this small group in Clifton - the others being full meant I was redirected here for this stay - I'm pleased I was!

As with the other hotels, I found the room to be well equipped with everything I could need for a single night stay. If I were staying longer I suppose I may want more space to unpack, but that is being nit picky.

All staff I encountered were delightfully friendly and efficient. I got in a bit of a pickle kept leaving my electronic key in the room, but they were obliging enough to run up the stairs and let me back in! Breakfast was delicious and the location really can't be faulted. I was lucky enough to be there on a lovely Summer's evening and made the most of the atmosphere around Clifton Village. I have been to Bristol before many times so knew what to expect, but Bristol in the sunshine has a lovely feeling!

I will definitely return to this group - I was promptly signed up to their loyalty card scheme on arrival, so they've secured my business!

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor, so if you don't like stairs, call and request a lower floor!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Redtulip32,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Rodney, I am so pleased you have enjoying your stays around our group and finally found your way to the Rodney!

All guests that book directly with us are automatically eligible to earn points on our loyalty card scheme and points earned from any of our 4 hotels can be added, so it is really worthwhile and our gift to you for staying!

We do have some rooms with slightly more storage space and will always endeavor to allocate those to long stay guests. Please don’t hesitate to drop us an email or call reception to make any requests for future stays including the floor you are allocated to.

My team was delighted with your feedback and remembers you fondly. As a small hotel we pride ourselves on our service and I am always so pleased to be able to pass positive feedback on to them.

I would certainly have to agree with you that Clifton Village really is beautiful in the summer time, with BBQs and games galore in Victoria Square and plenty of restaurants and cafes with out door seating it really is a pleasure to wander around and absorb the atmosphere. Fingers crossed the sunshine returns!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the not to distant future.

All the best,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed for one night in May 2014, having got stuck in traffic on our way to Cornwall. The receptionists were very friendly and helpful, and the hotel bar and gardens are lovely. Smallish room on top floor (no lift and lots of stairs) and the decor could do with updating a little, but otherwise this was a great find in a lovely part of Clifton. Would recommend to others and would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Lauren_liverpool82,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.
I am so pleased that we were able to provide a little safe haven from the M5!
I have passed your kind comments on the staff, who were all pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Clifton is such a lovely area and I hope if you haven’t been to Bristol before you will return for a more leisurely trip in the not to distant future.

I hope you had a lovely bank holiday weekend in Cornwall.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was jet lagged but in their wisdom the management decided I should be put on the ground floor right next to a wedding party. This is not a joke, but was my terrible experience at this hotel (and did I say that the toilet for the wedding party was also next to my room?). The room itself was less than half the size I would expect, with only a single bed in it (yes, it was a single room), and the quality of the furnishings was very mediocre. This hotel may have managed a 2-star, and the staff were trying to be nice, but my experience does not justify more than 1-star. I come to Bristol a lot, and it is a shame that this hotel, that looks so nice from the outside, has a very poor interior, poor rooms, and obviously a mantra to maximize every cent. This hotel room should never be used, let alone on nights like this, but it is symptomatic of the hotel. My advice? Avoid..

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room in the place. Those of us who stayed in "singles" may have a...
1  Thank Peter S

Dear Peter S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am terribly sorry that your stay with us was disturbed by the wedding taking place.
I will always do my best to improve the hotel based on feedback from guests and I have impressed upon my team the importance of noticing, when guests check in, the suitability of the room for the guest.

I hope that your room for the second night of your stay, at the back of the hotel, was a lot quieter.
We are always more than happy to accommodate requests from guests on the location of their room and with are 24 hour reception service, guests call all at any time.

With regards to our 3 star rating, in our most recent AA inspection we scored well for the décor of the rooms and public areas. We do have an ongoing schedule of refurbishment at the Rodney Hotel and will ensure our attentions are focused on the room you were allocated to.

We do offer both single and double rooms and all relevant room details can be found on our website and other 3rd party websites we are advertised on. I apologize that there was some confusion over the room you booked, I will be contacting Expedia to ensure these details are made clearer on their site in particular.

Once again I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, I do hope that, should you return to the Bristol area, you would consider staying with us again.
I would be more than happy to handle your booking myself and to offer you a discount on one of our nicer rooms.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I only stopped here for one night on business but my first impression was nice building with no parking. Parking is very limited with timed parking on the side streets.
Receptionist and the other staff were very helpful and friendly. My room was on the top floor overlooking the garden which was nice, my room was a little dated and in need of a lick of paint, the room was provided with daily essentials and the bed was very comfortable. Being on the top floor I really struggled with wifi.
The meals in the restaurant were lovely but very pricey, the breakfasts were amazing, hats off to the chef for his poached eggs!!
I would stay here again, it's very near the centre so very well placed for an evening out if I came back for pleasure.

1  Thank Donna C
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Kebab2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Rodney Hotel.

We are able to offer our guests seven parking spaces directly outside the hotel, on a first come first serve basis. As a historic area of Bristol, the parking in Clifton Village is limited, however the public transport links are superb and extremely convenient to the Hotel and my team are always happy to help direct guests to unrestricted parking a short walk from the hotel.

My team makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set for ourselves and I am pleased that you were pleased with the service you received during your stay.
It is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests and I have addressed the decoration issues with my house manager and our maintenance team.

I will certainly pass your feedback regarding the restaurant prices to our Restaurant Manager and to David our head chef, about the poached eggs!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed for 5 nights in March. Good points - the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly, the breakfasts were delicious, and the hotel is very convenient if you are visiting the Nuffield Hospital (within walking distance). The single room was small, but clean and well-furnished, and it was good to have a bath and a shower ensuite. On the negative side, the room was very noisy - there was a fair gap under the door, so any noise from the corridor or the function room below came through loud and clear. The worst night was when a couple with a small baby stayed in the room opposite - the child screamed for most of the night so nobody got any sleep! I would suggest that some attention is paid to soundproofing the doors.

Would I stay again? Yes, because the staff are great, the food is excellent, and the location is good, but only if I could get a quieter room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Nephilim-Lady,

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in March and thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
We work extremely hard on ensuring all our staff our delivering the best possible levels of customer service and I am thrilled that you were made to feel at home and welcome during your stay.

The location of the Rodney is extremely convenient for visiting Nuffield Hospital and with excellent transport links from the village to across Bristol, we are an idea base for any visit.
I do apologise that your sleep was disturbed, installing additional door seals is certainly something I am going to speak to our maintenance team about installing to prevent this from being an issue for future guests.

We are always happy to allocate guest to our quieter rooms on request, so please don’t hesitate to mention this next time you make a reservation with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel has very friendly staff and a nice bar, but the rooms are very disappointing, very basic and the bed was very uncomfortable. Not value for money and my room was noisy overlooking the street.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane H
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Jane H,

I am terribly sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us at the Rodney Hotel.
I am always disheartened when guests leave the hotel dissatisfied, especially if some areas, such as the service, have been well received. I would therefore greatly appreciate any additional feedback you would be happy to pass on to me. Please don’t hesitate to contact me on either 0117 9735 422 or email me directly on amy.allen@cliftonhotels.com
Kind regards
Amy Allen

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel on a few occasions, the staff have always been very helpful and polite although I was disappointed with the quality and size of what is described as an executive double room. The top floor, benefits from being quieter but has no lift and a very narrow steep stairway to the top. There is no useful parking, although transport links are good. When checking in the receptionist advised a wedding party were in but that it shouldn't be too noisy or go on late. It was shockingly noisy, my room directly over the disco and people were spilling onto the street to smoke, drink and chat loudly. Being a guest on business I wouldn't recommend this hotel for weekend travelers. The music was so loud I could feel vibrations through the floor. Got to be better executive quality rooms in the location that are better value, worth time to look I suggest. This one needs lots of attention to bring it up to scratch, and consideration to guests when making money on parties. I will not return!

Room Tip: If you had to stay and we're good with stairs then the quieter rooms are at the back on the top...
1  Thank FTF15

Dear BeHonest2014,

Thank you for reviewing the Rodney Hotel. Honest reviews and feedback are very important to us, and especially from guests that have stayed with us before.

I am pleased to read that you have always been impressed with the levels of service we provide, as a small independent hotel we do place a lot of importance on our customer service and all team members attend regular in house training sessions.
On this note, we do appreciate that not having a lift is not ideal and all staff are trained to ask all guests on arrival if they would like any help with their luggage. We do also have 24 hr reception so there is always a member of staff on hand to do the running on our guest’s behalf.

I do appreciate that our parking is limited. In an area such as Clifton Village, parking is at a premium, meaning our seven spaces can be busy. We do endeavor to call all guests prior to arrival to explain the parking situation and have maps on reception informing guests of alternative parking in the area. I do agree that public transport links in this area are very good and extremely close to the hotel for those guests who are thinking of not traveling by car to Bristol.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the Executive room you stayed in and were disturbed by the wedding party we had using our restaurant on Friday evening. We will always try to pre-warn guests of a party of this nature and allocate rooms as far away from the party as possible at the rear of the hotel. I will speak to my reception team about this and also advising guests at the time of making a reservation for any weekend that weddings are a possibility.
We do have a rolling process of renewals and I will ensure that my House Manager, in house Maintenance team and I, have a detailed look at the room you were allocated too too ensure our Executive standard is being maintained.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly on 0117 9735422 if you would like to discuss your recent stay in more details as I would be disappointed if you chose not to stay with us again.
Amy Allen