“It's a shame”

Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
London, United Kingdom
“It's a shame”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Rodney is a beautiful building in a great location. How can the management neglect it that much? This hotel is tired. I like hotels with character, but not ones where thw wallpaper peels off, everything you touch sticks and the great garden looks like a Victorian seaside resort.

2 Thank Eva E
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Eva E,

Thank you for placing a review of the Rodney Hotel after your recent stay with us. We are extremely lucky to be situated in the heart of Clifton Village which really is a beautiful location and a great base for exploring Bristol.
I am sorry you feel the management is neglecting the hotel, this is certainly not the sort of feedback I wish to receive. I have spent some time inspecting the room you were allocated too with my House Manager and I am disappointed that despite this room being recently painted there is a very small area on the ceiling that needs some additional attention, I will of course ensure this issue is taken care of.
My House Manager and I have also spoken to the room attendant that cleaned your room prior to your arrival and we will be carrying out spot checks to ensure cleanliness standards are kept to the highest levels.

We are very lucky to have such a large and beautiful garden here at the Rodney Hotel and I must say the space is enjoyed by many of our guests especially as we are enjoying such beautiful weather. We have tried to provide formal seating and tables but also a few deck chairs for those looking to have a little afternoon snooze in the sunshine! We are certainly not going for a seaside resort look but wanted there to be a relaxed feeling.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss your stay any further.
Amy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
wooflett
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The staff are delightful. Friendly, helpful and genuinely want to please. But oh my goodness my stay was the most uncomfortable hotel experience of my entire life, and bearing in mind I spend several nights away each month on business, and have done so for the last twelve years, this is quite some statement. My room was tiny, seriously tatty including rotten window frames, and reminiscent of a boarding school dormitory. The bed and pillows were uncomfortable, and both had seen better days. The floors creak so badly you have no chance of sleeping if anyone is awake and moving above you, and the curtains didn't cover the window aperture. The bedspread was dirty and looked like it was splattered in food. It was so hot in my room my lipstick melted, as of course there is no air conditioning, and no fan provided. Indeed the building is charming, and as a bar or restaurant is perfectly acceptable as the food was good and nicely presented, but at 4.30 in the morning when you haven't slept a wink and are facing a long day at work, I very nearly checked out and drove home. It strikes me this place runs on the goodwill of its staff and without them it would have been unbearable.

Room Tip: Sorry I can't. My suggestion is just don't stay here.
1 Thank wooflett
Dear wooflett,

Thank you for reviewing the Rodney, I am delighted that the service the staff provided was excellent but am extremely disappointed you felt the hotel runs on their good will alone.

As a small independent hotel with a small team, we are all passionate about the hotel and I of course expect every aspect of a guests experience to be of the highest quality.

I would appreciate discussing your stay in more detail with you, as I am unfortunately unsure of exactly which room you stayed in, and I do take all guest feedback very seriously.

I have discussed the cleanliness issues you have highlighted with my House Manager who again was shocked and disappointed with the comments. We will be ensuring a thorough audit of all our bedspreads and I am in the process of have a number of the curtain poles moved to ensure they are against the windows. Our beautiful high ceilings and Georgian Bay windows are a feature we love but I appreciate we need to ensure curtain coverage is maximized.

As a period building we are unfortunately unable to install air conditioning, we do however appreciate that we are in the middle of a heat wave and have plenty of fans available on request if there isn’t already one in your room.

I am terrible sorry that you feel unable to stay with us at the Rodney in the future, I do sincerely hope that I can discuss your stay in more detail with you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me either on 0117 9735422 or amy.allen@cliftonhotels.com.

Amy

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here one night in June 2014. The Executive single was fine for one night, small but clean and with a desk, small wardrobe, decent bathroom. But the small single bed was one of the worst I have ever (not) slept on. Very poor mattress with springs sticking into my back. The room was thankfully also too hot so I was able to sleep on top to the blanket and bed cover, putting a little extra material between me and this torture device. I was in room 4 and there was a frequent sounds coming from what I think was a boiler and noise from people coming and going from the bar (I think I was in the same room as reviewer Peter S). Basically they had crammed an extra room in where really there should not be one. The staff are friendly and the location of the hotel is excellent, but such a poor bed in a room dubbed "executive" is really not excusable.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4
Dear sparouge,
I appreciate you taking the time to place a review of the Rodney Hotel. All feedback is appreciated and we will certainly order a new mattress for this room straight away in light of your comments.
I am terribly sorry that your stay was uncomfortable as a result of the bed in your room, I have spoken to my house manager regarding this matter and she will be ensuring that better checks of the mattresses are implemented when they are all individually turned on a twice monthly basis. Ensuring my guests have peaceful and comfortable nights sleep is of course my top priority and I am disappointed that this was not the case for you.
I am pleased to read that you were impressed with the service you received and the location of the hotel suited your needs.
I sincerely hope you will return to the Rodney and please don’t hesitate to contact me directly as I would be happy to personally handle your reservation.
Kind regards
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have previously stayed at 2 other hotels within this small group in Clifton - the others being full meant I was redirected here for this stay - I'm pleased I was!

As with the other hotels, I found the room to be well equipped with everything I could need for a single night stay. If I were staying longer I suppose I may want more space to unpack, but that is being nit picky.

All staff I encountered were delightfully friendly and efficient. I got in a bit of a pickle kept leaving my electronic key in the room, but they were obliging enough to run up the stairs and let me back in! Breakfast was delicious and the location really can't be faulted. I was lucky enough to be there on a lovely Summer's evening and made the most of the atmosphere around Clifton Village. I have been to Bristol before many times so knew what to expect, but Bristol in the sunshine has a lovely feeling!

I will definitely return to this group - I was promptly signed up to their loyalty card scheme on arrival, so they've secured my business!

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor, so if you don't like stairs, call and request a lower floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Redtulip32,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Rodney, I am so pleased you have enjoying your stays around our group and finally found your way to the Rodney!

All guests that book directly with us are automatically eligible to earn points on our loyalty card scheme and points earned from any of our 4 hotels can be added, so it is really worthwhile and our gift to you for staying!

We do have some rooms with slightly more storage space and will always endeavor to allocate those to long stay guests. Please don’t hesitate to drop us an email or call reception to make any requests for future stays including the floor you are allocated to.

My team was delighted with your feedback and remembers you fondly. As a small hotel we pride ourselves on our service and I am always so pleased to be able to pass positive feedback on to them.

I would certainly have to agree with you that Clifton Village really is beautiful in the summer time, with BBQs and games galore in Victoria Square and plenty of restaurants and cafes with out door seating it really is a pleasure to wander around and absorb the atmosphere. Fingers crossed the sunshine returns!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rodney in the not to distant future.

All the best,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night in May 2014, having got stuck in traffic on our way to Cornwall. The receptionists were very friendly and helpful, and the hotel bar and gardens are lovely. Smallish room on top floor (no lift and lots of stairs) and the decor could do with updating a little, but otherwise this was a great find in a lovely part of Clifton. Would recommend to others and would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Lauren_liverpool82,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.
I am so pleased that we were able to provide a little safe haven from the M5!
I have passed your kind comments on the staff, who were all pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Clifton is such a lovely area and I hope if you haven’t been to Bristol before you will return for a more leisurely trip in the not to distant future.

I hope you had a lovely bank holiday weekend in Cornwall.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was jet lagged but in their wisdom the management decided I should be put on the ground floor right next to a wedding party. This is not a joke, but was my terrible experience at this hotel (and did I say that the toilet for the wedding party was also next to my room?). The room itself was less than half the size I would expect, with only a single bed in it (yes, it was a single room), and the quality of the furnishings was very mediocre. This hotel may have managed a 2-star, and the staff were trying to be nice, but my experience does not justify more than 1-star. I come to Bristol a lot, and it is a shame that this hotel, that looks so nice from the outside, has a very poor interior, poor rooms, and obviously a mantra to maximize every cent. This hotel room should never be used, let alone on nights like this, but it is symptomatic of the hotel. My advice? Avoid..

Room Tip: Not sure there is a good room in the place. Those of us who stayed in "singles" may have a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter S
Dear Peter S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I am terribly sorry that your stay with us was disturbed by the wedding taking place.
I will always do my best to improve the hotel based on feedback from guests and I have impressed upon my team the importance of noticing, when guests check in, the suitability of the room for the guest.

I hope that your room for the second night of your stay, at the back of the hotel, was a lot quieter.
We are always more than happy to accommodate requests from guests on the location of their room and with are 24 hour reception service, guests call all at any time.

With regards to our 3 star rating, in our most recent AA inspection we scored well for the décor of the rooms and public areas. We do have an ongoing schedule of refurbishment at the Rodney Hotel and will ensure our attentions are focused on the room you were allocated to.

We do offer both single and double rooms and all relevant room details can be found on our website and other 3rd party websites we are advertised on. I apologize that there was some confusion over the room you booked, I will be contacting Expedia to ensure these details are made clearer on their site in particular.

Once again I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, I do hope that, should you return to the Bristol area, you would consider staying with us again.
I would be more than happy to handle your booking myself and to offer you a discount on one of our nicer rooms.

Kind regards
lancashire
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I only stopped here for one night on business but my first impression was nice building with no parking. Parking is very limited with timed parking on the side streets.
Receptionist and the other staff were very helpful and friendly. My room was on the top floor overlooking the garden which was nice, my room was a little dated and in need of a lick of paint, the room was provided with daily essentials and the bed was very comfortable. Being on the top floor I really struggled with wifi.
The meals in the restaurant were lovely but very pricey, the breakfasts were amazing, hats off to the chef for his poached eggs!!
I would stay here again, it's very near the centre so very well placed for an evening out if I came back for pleasure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Donna C
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Kebab2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Rodney Hotel.

We are able to offer our guests seven parking spaces directly outside the hotel, on a first come first serve basis. As a historic area of Bristol, the parking in Clifton Village is limited, however the public transport links are superb and extremely convenient to the Hotel and my team are always happy to help direct guests to unrestricted parking a short walk from the hotel.

My team makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set for ourselves and I am pleased that you were pleased with the service you received during your stay.
It is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests and I have addressed the decoration issues with my house manager and our maintenance team.

I will certainly pass your feedback regarding the restaurant prices to our Restaurant Manager and to David our head chef, about the poached eggs!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.