“Pleasant English Hotel”
Review of Arches Hotel

Arches Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
Arches Hotel
Ranked #14 of 52 Bristol B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant English Hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a nice and basic, but clean hotel we stayed in for one night. I enjoyed the availability of Twining's Tea in the bedrooms (green and white). The croissants in the morning were nice, and vegan options were available.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FrancescaN3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Well located away from the bustle of Bristol, it's a small private hotel run by friendly owners Francois and Wendy. We had room 3 which was not en-suite but 2 loos and shower room over the corridor, so no problem. It's quite basic, a typical English hotel well situated in the North of the City in a nice old building. Tea and Coffee in room, with biscuits and all very good quality both in the room and for Breakfast. The room was quiet (with windows closed), enough space, clean and comfortable. The bed was good, with nice clean linen. Breakfast was continental - cereals, fruit, hot croissants and toast - very nice and healthier than a full english.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve L
Austria
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Whenever I return to Bristol, I choose this hotel for my stay. I have to book it weeks before my trip, and I know that in summer they are full. I like the small garden in front of the main door, well – it is not so tiny for a town but I am somewhat used for larger spaces.
The service is fine and a sort of family-like, breakfasts you may select between continental and English. In fact I newer properly learnt which is which and an English breakfast for me means the style I get in the Arches hotel.
The funny thing is the water – a separate tap for hot water and another one for cold water make washing hands a bit challenging – but then, I pass this only a few times in the year, what about the poor English who have this ordeal every day?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank M R
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have stayed at the Arches Hotel three or four times now, as it is convenient for visiting family who live in Bristol.

The owners are very helpful and friendly. The breakfast is basically continental and good.

Rooms are basic, but very clean and comforatble.

All in all you get good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank John B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed two nights in September and fully intend to stay again next year. The owners were extremely friendly and helpful and nothhing was too much trouble. Continental breakfast was very good and catered also for my friend who is vegan, even bringing soya milk and vegan biscuits to her room. Rooms were dated but very clean and comfortable. Only minor fault was that the water in the shower wasn't as hot as I would have liked.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank KarenMaryA
Adstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

All our family came to Bristol from all over Europe for an extremely important celebration recently. Some of the family stayed at the Arches House on Cotham Brow. The owners, Francois & Wendy, were friendly even when we over-slept! It was refreshing not be chased out of our rooms early on a Sunday morning. The rooms were fair & reasonably comfortable. As we missed breakfast at the B & B we went over the road to a café for an excellent proper English breakfast - this suited us all as we aren’t vegetarians!

Room Tip: Quieter at the back of the B & B.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank suziihinton
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I was looking for a quiet B+B close to the venue of the British Masters Weightlifting championships 2013 and at a distance of 1 mile this hotel looked an ideal choice. I was greeted very warmly when I arrived on Friday 22nd March after a 190 mile journey. The room I was given was large having a double and single bed on the ground floor. The radiators were full on and it was pleasantly warm even though outside it was very cold! I was tired after the long journey but around 12:30 someone came in and disturbed my sleep. Then around 01:30 am another guest disturbed my sleep. Not good for a weightlifting competition! The next night I reitired early and this time lots of guests came in just after midnight and I shouted at them to keep the noise level down. Then about 2.30 am in the morning the people in the room above my room came in banging around to 04:00 am.
I will not be booking here ever again. I was not offered a reduction.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo