“Price/quality excellent”

Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Bristol
Brussels
“Price/quality excellent”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

See title: price/quality excellent! Sure, the interior is not the newest stuff, bit old-fashioned. But my room was clean. Breakfast was good! Staff was very friendly! Anecdote: I had them made an invoice to refund my costs from my university, but later my uni had some ridiculous demands on what should be on it, so I had to contact the Washington for a new invoice: They replied 20 minutes later and just sent a freshly typed invoice with all the spicy details my uni wanted to hear!! Go there! But if you want a piano bar and a trendy room to impress your date, please be free to dig into your wallet and go elsewhere.

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Zurrieq, Malta
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The Washington provided us with a comfortable and clean room. Good breakfast and helpful staff all the way. It is well located with close access to the city centre. Would recommend it for a stay in Bristol. Pity the hotel does not have a lift because we had to carry our heavy luggage to the first floor.

Room Tip: Room was on first floor overlooking back of hotel so it was pretty quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Pros: Well situated for Clifton, secure parking off road (first come first served, extra 6 quid), very friendly staff, cheap, good breakfast. Room recently refurbed and good facilities for the price. Complimentary fruit bowl! Very good value for the price.

Cons: Soundproofing to outside poor so awoken at 3 am by sound of local "gentry" staggering down St Paul's road conducting noisy and interminable drunken conversation/shouting match (NB clearly beyond the hotel's control!). Maybe only a problem with front facing rooms. The windows seem original Georgian so are aesthetically pleasing but don't offer the soundproofing of modern double glazed units. The lost sleep drops a point from what otherwise would have been a 5* review.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
I am delighted that this reviewer had an enjoyable stay at the Washington and thought we were good value for money - this is certainly something we strive for.

I would like to pick up on the reviewers' comments about the noise. I am very sorry that the noise from St Paul's Road disturbed your nights sleep. As you point out, it is difficult for the staff here to control the outside noise so I am sorry it affected your stay. Should any future guests require a quiet room, we are able to allocate rooms at the back of the building - these over look the car park so do tend to be quieter.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and I hope we will see you here again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The bedrooms at the Washington need some serious redecorating. I stayed in two: room 23 had a threadbare carpet that i could see through and a shower in almost complete darkness. Room 44 had a window with no handle, it was held closed with a loop of chain. Both showers were very weak.
On the plus side the staff were great and the food was good too, especially dinners at Racks Reasturant. This is a value priced hotel but some basic repairs and room improvements are needed urgently

• Stayed July 2011
BRIXHAM
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I don't know what planet some of these reviewers are from, or if they have ever stayed in a hotel before, because the Washington is to be avoided at all costs. We stayed in room 44, the door to the room was filthy and did not close properly ,the carpet was stained, the window was chained closed, the shower was a trickle with no light and the curtain did not reach the shower tray. There was a print above the bed that was falling apart and when it does the glass is going really hurt someone. The communal bathroom was the other side of a very thin wall and the coming and goings continually interupted our nights sleep. The towels were clean and good and the cleaner had made the best of what they could.
At the Washingtons recommendation we went to Racks, the pub next door - what a mistake that was! There was a drinks promotion advertised as 20% off all night but everytime I bought a drink the staff tried to charge full price - other guests of the hotel were having the same experience. I ordered the large antipasti at £12, this turned out to be 2 slices of chorizo, salami and very thin bread, some pesto and ONE stuffed tomato! - does this mean that if you order the £7.50 antipasti you get half a stuffed tomato. I cannot think of one redeaming feature concerning this place, the staff were untrained and not authorised to make the most basic of decisions and were continually trying to charge the full prices for food and drink - I can only assume the extra 20% was destined for their back pockets.
I will say the receptionist was good and the staff at breakfast were excellent although my full English was rather overcooked and my poached egg resembled a golf ball in texture.
To sum up, we only booked for one night thank goodness because we would have had to of moved, avoid this hotel and the pub.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrixhamMike

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

london
Reviewed 26 June 2011

we booked into the wahington for a two night stay to watch englad play cricket in bristol, first impression of the hotel was slighty run down and in need of some updating however the rooms were clean and tidy and for the price it appeared a good place to stay for a short trip.
staff on the front desk were very frendly and the breakfast was first rate .
however the security on the room we stayed in was poor to say the least ,the lock was a yale type lock that was losely fitted to the door it had lose screws in it and even when locked there was a large amount of play in the door,to this end on are first night here are room was broken into and two laptops were stolen from are room to the value of well over 1000 pounds ! these laptops were the vandolised and dumped in the hotel car park for reasons unknown to the sane amongst use ! the hotel receptionest was very helpfull in the morning when we realised are loss she kindly contacted the police and informed the hotel manager ,however sadly the manager didnt bother to talk too us or bother to investigate what had happen or how someone had gained entry into are room and vandilse are property ,on balance cheap and friendly place to stay but security poor would stop in holiday inn or equivilent next time !

Room Tip: leave valuebales at home
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank woo24
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
May I start by saying how sorry I am that this happened to you whilst you were staying with us to watch the cricket and for the lack of communication which resulted in you not being contacted by a Manager over the weekend. Nothing of this sort has ever happened at the Washington during my 6 years here.

I have spoken to you since you stayed in the WAshington over the weekend and have explained that having watched many hours of CCTV having checked the lock in his room, we have been unable to identify the culprit or how he accessed the room. You have received a refund for the cost of your stay - a small gesture on our part to say how sorry we are.

I would like to reassure future guests that is it not a common occurence and is being treated very seriously. The front door is locked whenever the member of staff is away from the desk and the back door requires the guest to be buzzed in by reception. We have also carried out a check of all bedroom locks to ensure that they are sufficiently secure. I am confident that nothing of the sort will happen again.

I am, however, delighted that you found the staff to be efficient and friendly and would urge you to try us again should you visit Bristol as I am confident that you would experience a much better stay.
Berks
Reviewed 8 June 2011

A group of us were on a golf trip the hotel was ideal, agree with the other posts it's a bit dated but you get what you pay for. Staff were very friendly and helpful had a message left on my phone at home a couple of days before we were due, to make sure everything was ok. Nice touch, first time I've ever received that from any hotel.
The car park at rear was a bit tight and the road outside was congested ,but no fault of the hotel, it was secure with a roller shutter door so great for us, we were able to leave our golf gear in the car. Would use this hotel again when back in Bristol

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends