“Quaint and friendly”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed for two nights recently. Nice quiet location. We love Clifton. Hotel was very comfortable and clean. Staff kind and friendly. Good buffet breakfast with a cooked breakfast of your choice, cooked to order.

Room Tip: No lift, so if you have problems with mobility, like my husband, get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dizzychem
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear "dizzychem",

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Washington. Myself and my team are really thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will return when you are next in the Bristol area.

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Basic hotel in Clifton area of Bristol. Dated rooms, very difficult to find a parking spot. Shower was difficult to control temperature. Cheap hotel. Staff were friendly and efficient. Breakfast okay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear "William H",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington - we really appreciate it when we receive feedback.

I am sorry that you found it difficult to control the shower temperature in your room - we do regular checks on all our showers so I would be interested in which room you stayed in? (joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com).

As you pointed out in your review, finding parking is tricky at times in the Clifton area. We do, however, have an onsite car park for £6 per night that our guests can make use of. I'm sorry if this information was not accurately conveyed to you on booking or check in.

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff here - I have passed on your kind comments and they were warmly received.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Booked for 1 night for a business trip to Bristol and this hotel worked out fine. I was looking for low cost, with breakfast in a decent area. The room was a bit tired and the bathroom was small but everything was clean and there was tea/coffee making plus fruit in the room. Breakfast room was nice and you could get a full English although I stuck with cereals and toast. For a holiday or longer stay I would have gone a little more up market but for a one night stopover this served the purpose.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear "Cake_yum",

I was very pleased to hear that you found the Washington to meet your expectations in your recent review and would like to thank you for taking the time to voice your thoughts on Tripadvisor.

The Washington aims to provide the best value accommodation in Bristol and hope that we are on the right track with this goal! We are responding to guests' comments about our decor with a rolling refurbishment - just last month we replaced 8 mattresses and many bedspreads.

There are also exciting new plans for our breakfast team as we hope to bring in a 'seasonal' breakfast menu for those who would like something a bit different from the normal offerings.

I hope that you would return to the Washington when you are next here on business so that we have the chance to exceed your expectations next time!

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Staff are first class and friendly. Room servicing and breakfast is exellent.

The bathroom facilities in the rooms I stayed in were or had been modernised to some degree.

The location is ideally placed to explore Bristol.

Unfortunately, in an old property sound insulation and the fitting of doors can cause sound and moise issues. The impact of this can depend on which room you get. These issues can arise whatever the hotel!

I would definitely recommend this hotel as good value for money and service and will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Dear "Paul W",

Thank you for your very positive review of the Washington - we love hearing that our guests have enjoyed their time with us! I have passed all your comments to the departments involved.

I am sorry that you were affected by noise from another room. I have arranged a meeting with our Property Development Manager to see if our sound-proofing between the rooms can be improved - thank you for this feedback.

I do hope we will see you at the Washington again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 February 2013

My needs are minimal but the hotel managed to disappoint. Two night stay in room 44 the shower was a dribble on the first day and managed not to work at all on the second. The hotel is shabby enough which is fine, but a shower is a minimum. An iron in the room would also be nice, thought this was a standard also. Not cheap enough to justify the inadequacies in facilities. I would look for alternatives at the price.

Room Tip: avoid room 44
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear "Gerry C",

I was very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent stay at the Washington and would like to take this opportunity to apologise to you for the problems you experienced.

We do have regular checks in place to ensure that all of the equipment in rooms is of a good working order but it is clear to me that, in this instance, we dropped the ball. I have had a meeting with my House Manager to ensure that this does not happen again.

With regards to the iron/ironing board, we do not keep them in the rooms but do have them available for guest use - our guests simply need to dial reception for one to be brought to their rooms.

I am sorry to hear that you would look for alternative accommodation when you are next in Bristol. I would like the opportunity to show you that your stay was not the typical one experienced by our guests by offering you a free upgrade shoud you return to the Washington.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Just an overnight stay but would return as it fulfilled my requirements. my single room was basic but clean. Bed clothes spotless and ironed sheets.Bathroom across the landing was clean and had a good shower with nice hot water.Breakfast was excellent. A good variety and well cooked and presented.Only draw back is parking in the street... not good, but they have that covered with a secure carpark at the back of the hotel for six pounds per night... well worth it.Will be back

Room Tip: If in doubt see it first
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank KenSolihull_England
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear "KenSolihull_England",

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Washington on Tripadvisor - constructive feedback is always welcome here.

I am delighted that you felt your overnight visit to us was good value for money and that you were happy with the cleanliness of the Washington - these are both things we put a lot of effort into. As you point out, we are an old building and your tip of 'view before if unsure' is something we are more than happy to do for any future guest.

I do hope that we will see you at the Washington again should you return to Bristol.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

I regularly stay in Bristol for work and since I have to pay for it myself I often stay at The Washington because it is excellent value for money. The staff are always very friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, with a few little extras like a cafetiere and biscuits that cheer you up when away from home! The location is good for Clifton and the city centre. I would reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert M
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear "Robert M",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington. I am thrilled that you have picked up all the little things that we hope make a difference to our regular guests - it is very satisfying to hear that they do!

I shall pass your kind comments regarding the staff on to the rest of the team. I hope we will see you back at the Washington in the coming weeks.