The Washington
  • Pool
US$153
US$119
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Express Bristol - North(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$117
Agoda.com
US$103
US$100
  • Restaurant
Ibis Bristol Centre(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$93
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfresh fruitclifton arealoose leaf teaground coffeewhiteladies roadcity centrebristol zoobit datedfull englishexcellent breakfastreception staffcooked breakfastvery pleasant staysuspension bridgeenjoyed my stayshort staywould stay again
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Decided to have a weekend break away and chose Bristol as have family in the area. This hotel was cheapest so we decided to stay there. I'm glad we did as we loved it! Yes, the rooms are a little dated, but we did see evidence of improvements going on whilst we were there. Our breakfast was included and was delicious and varied. Reception were, without question, friendly and knowledgeable about the area (though our family acted as our tourist guide for the weekend). Would we stay again? Yes we would - we paid £56 per night including breakfast and had a lovely room that was quiet and clean (though our preference would be for duvets rather than sheets) - I would highly recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJPBaytown
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Dear "SJPBaytown",

Many thanks for placing a review of the Washington - as a small independent Guest House, every review is welcomed!

I am delighted that you had such a positive stay with us and that you would return when next in Bristol. There are some great family orientated events on over the Summer which I would recommend highly.

I have passed on your kind feedback to the rest of the team.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Walking up to the hotel their is a red cover sheltering the entrance, the top of this was thick with green algae, warning number one!

Reception staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you.

On walking towards my room the hallways were in very poor shape, marks all over the walls, paintwork covering the woodwork dull and in areas dirty. Carpets filthy throughout the corridors and the stairways were even more shocking too.

On opening my room I was confronted with a stain on the carpet as large as a dinner plate. Stains on both covers for the beds too. Bathroom switch, above tiling over the sink, mirror edges thick with dust, never seen a clean. Bath facia rotting due to continuos leaks from the shower screen, this had seeped into the bathroom flooring too.
Bathroom over due maintenance, well overdue.

Bed was comfortable, pillows ok too, under the covers thankfully clean, slept well, a positive.

Fun trying to shower with a trickle of water that sometimes improved once pressure was available.

Breakfast
We ordered a "full" english breakfast. This came with 1 x saussage, 1/2 a small grilled tomatoe, a tablespoon of beans, 2 mushrooms cut into tiny pieces 2 x rashers of bacon (this was correct), pleased I didn't order a child's portion!!

For me its clear that when you see the AA 3 stars standard displayed on the wall and in the literature this is just a con. AA need to step up and start auditing hotels and ensure that customers like myself are not duped in presuming that having 3 stars will guarantee you a reasonable quality establishment.

Shame really because the staff and customers deserved better. Clearly the Clifton Group are siphoning all of the profits for the shareholders and are not reinvesting to keep the hotel as advertised at an AA 3 Star standard.

Room Tip: Call the AA and see if they've given them a warning to The Washington and ask them to clean up
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Manny B
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear "Manny B",

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I am pleased that you found the staff to be so friendly and helpful - I have passed on this feedback to them all.

You do mention a couple of things in your review that I would like to address if I may.

The Washington is a 3 Star Guest House - not hotel. This is an important distinction to make as it does make quite a lot of difference to the general standard of the building. Unfortunately the AA reworked their rating system and changed the old 'diamond' Guest House rating to a 'star' system - this has obviously led to confusion. A 3 Star Guest House is about on par with a 2 star hotel. We do not advertise ourselves as a 3 star hotel as we do not want to mislead our guests in any way. I'm sorry if you were expecting a 3 star hotel when you arrived. In our most recent AA inspection we received high marks within our 3 Star Guest House bracket with comments on the improvements the inspector had seen since his previous visit in terms of our decor.

We do have an extensive rolling refurbishment underway at the Washington - with TVs, beds, carpet, painting, curtains etc (the whole works) being replaced as needed and when time permits. We have an in house comment card system and track our results on a weekly basis - the improvement in these has been staggering over the last year. I want future guests to be assured that any profit that is made in the Washington is ploughed straight back in to improving our product - I am proud of what we have achieved here in the last year or so.

I would like to defend the breakfast team slightly regarding your comments, however. As a Guest House, breakfast is included in the rate of the vast majority of our guests (or is available for just £5 pp if not). For this price guests can have a bowl of cereal, selection of fruits, yoghurts, croissant, ham & cheese and then a full English breakfast if they would like! There is, of course, unlimited toast and tea/coffee in addition to this. My breakfast supervisor and myself have spent a lot of time researching the options offered in other hotels/local restaurants and I am 100% confident that the breakfast you receive at the Washington is the best value we can provide. We have a lot of guests who stay with us for long periods of time - this breakfast system was designed to offer maximum flexibility to all. We also offer a 'weekly special' at no extra charge - our recent offering of French toast with bacon and maple syrup has proved very popular with the masses!

I do feel that your expectations of the Washington were, perhaps, higher than we could have delivered given our AA rating, but would like to offer you a discount on one of our newly updated rooms so you can see the changes we are making and what a typical Washington guest experience is all about. Please contact me directly to arrange this on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com

Reviewed 24 March 2013

me and a friend stayed at this hotel last night as we had travelled to meet some friends in clifton. from the pictures of the hotel I was confident it would be a nice place to stay...... we arrived and were greeted by a very professional young lady who handed us the keys to our room (6) on the ground floor or the basement as we named it... the room was very small and dated, the ceiling was cracked and peeling, curtains not clean, carpets shabby and dated bathroom suit, one of the beds was positioned next to the window which we had to stuff our towels into to try and stop the cold coming in. I did not go back to reception about the room as I was already running late and just tried to get past the state of the room as it was 'just a bed to sleep in'. now I was not expecting the ritz and the hotel has a lovely appearance from the outside but after the freezing uncomfortable nights 'sleep' I just feel that people and the management are aware that room 6 is NOT a nice room. I use hotels on a regular basis and I certainly would not rate this hotel ( based on our room ) as a 3 ★

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank MrsH0716
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear "Charmaine W",

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay at the Washington and to hear that this marred your visit to Bristol. It is real shame that you did not go back up to reception to mention your reservations regarding your room as we do our best to resolve any issues there and then and can often find alternative rooms that would suit better. It is always our goal for people to leave wishing they had booked to stay longer!

You do mention that you would not class us as 3 Star. We are a 3 star Guest house, not hotel, which is an important distinction to make. Unfortunately the AA rebranded all Guest Houses as 'star' rated rather than 'diamond' rated (which made it easy to see the difference between the hotel and Guest Houses). A 3 star Guest House is about on a par with a 2 star Hotel. We recently had our AA inspection carried out and were awarded very high marks (the inspector having viewed a few rooms) within our star rating.

As a Grade 2 listed building, all of our rooms vary in size and, due to our rolling refurbishment, decor. It is fair to say that room 6 is not one that we have recorated recently. That said, the rooms are all cleaned to a high standard, with bedspreads and curtains cleaned on a regular basis so I am confident that, whilst the decor may have been dated, it was clean and ready for guest use. I have scheduled a meeting with my House Manager when she returns from holiday to see what we can do to improve that particular room in light of the problems you had.

I would like to offer you a discount on one of our newly redecorated rooms when you next stay in Bristol - it is my hope that you would see that this experience of the Washington is far from typical. Please contact me directly on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com to make this booking.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

This hotel might look as if it has seen better times - the rooms are dated but the staff are superb and nothing is too much trouble. Our ground floor room was warm, comfortable and clean, bit shabby but no issue with staying 2 nights in it. The breakfast is excellent. Cost £6 to park car in secure park at the rear of the hotel. For the money this is excellent value. Plenty of tea, coffee, milk etc, kettle, hairdryer, good shower over bath. 10 min walk into Clifton or Park St.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela L
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear " Angela L",

Thank you very much for your very kind review of the Washington. The team here are delighted that you had such a good stay with us and that you noticed so many of the small touches that we hope set us apart from the chain hotels in Bristol.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the spa - should you feel the need for another relaxing weekend please do consider us for your accommodation.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I guess this is a reasonable hotel for what is offered in the area. Situated close to the University Campus of Bristol, it was superb for the conference we went for!. There is nothing to surprise you, really. Just a regular stay. When we asked for a different room- because we discovered there was no lift for any of the floors - we were kindly given another one on the ground floor. There is a great terrace-bar along the road for great food and drinks on a sunny day!

Room Tip: It is preferable you choose a room on the ground floor if you do not want to climb the narrow staircase. There is no lift. Also, the rooms above are smaller, compared to the ones on lower floors.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear "Clioulini",

Thank you for placing a review of the Washington - all feedback is really important to us!

I am pleased that you found the Washington to be in an excellent location for your recent visit to the University - you are right, the bulk of the departments are within a 5-10 minute walk from us here.

I have passed your comments about Racks Bar & Kitchen on to the team there - I'm sure they will be pleased with them!

As you point out in your review, the Washington does not have a lift in the building - as a Grade 2 listed property it is not possible for us to install one. I am sorry that this affected your arrival, but am very pleased that my friendly reception team were able to source another room for you that was more suitable. We are more than happy to allocate rooms on the ground or lower ground floor level if future guests also have this preference.