“Excellent Budget Hotel”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have just returned from my stag weekend in Bristol and although my best man arranged the trip and organised accommodation I thought i'd pass on my comments of our stay. From what I understand, the price of each room were very reasonable and affordable and the hotel is located in an easy walking range of local shops, bars and nightlife. The staff were always helpful (and very patient with our stag party) and I can also vouch the breakfast was nice. There is parking available for a reasonable rate as well as off road parking for free where available. There aren;t many stag / hen friendly hotels from what I hear so ideal for big parties travelling as well as families i'd imagine with the room sizes. The wallpaper was a bit discoloured and dirty (could be we were in stag doo room) but can't really argue about this place - I'd like to return to Bristol and would have no qualms about coming back here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear "rnicholls89",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington! I am really pleased to hear that you and your friends were able to give the Stag a good send off in Bristol and that you enjoyed what the Washington had to offer.

As you pointed out, the Washington is ideal for groups as well as families as the converted nature of the building means we can try and allocate rooms in one area for each group (we understand that groups want to have fun, whereas families may want to sleep!).

I hope we will see you again in Bristol shortly.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Some of the Washington's reviews are a bit mixed. I would urge visitors to Bristol who want value, comfort and really helpful staff to go to the Washington. It may be a touch faded - but that is part of the charm. What is does have (unusual in Bristol) is
- takes dogs
-easy parking
- breakfast , have buffet and cooked
-excellent cheery helpful staff, mostly young but happy to help.

Room Tip: front rooms have a bit of night life / traffic - but not serious prob.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lowryepp

Dear "Lowryepp",

Thank you for your kind review of the Washington - everyone here was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have passed your kind comments onto the teams involved.

I hope we will be seeing you (and your dogs?) again in the future.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We were visiting to meet some family. The hotel was basically clean and sound. The room we had was quite small with a tiny shower. The TV was ok and the parking secure but the entrance to the parking area was very tight. Breakfast was variable my omelette was very good but my wifes scrambled egg was luke warm and bland.

Room Tip: Not at the front - as a lot of passing noise from bar customers
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ukbod

Dear "Ukbod",

Thank you for reviewing the Washington - as a small, independent Guest House, we appreciate all feedback greatly.

I'm sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your breakfast - I have discussed all your comments with my breakfast supervisor and have tasted the scrambled eggs myself to ensure they are up to scratch (as they are my favourite I didn't see this as too hard a task!). I am sure that, should you revisit, you would find them much improved.

As the Washington is an old, converted building, our rooms vary enormously in terms of size. The majority of our rooms have baths with showers over them so if space is a priority for any future guests I would recommend contacting us directly so that we can ensure you get the room you would like.

I do hope you would consider staying with us again - it is my hope that second time around you would find your expectations were exceeded.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

This place is located in Clifton high above Bristol. It's uphill - so don't even think of walking from the station. Take a taxi or a bus - but expect traffic-jams. Bristol could use a decent traffic-planner and a bus-schedule that is understandable. But that has nothing to do with the hotel - I know. I was there for 4 nights in april, and was received by very friendly people at the desk. By mistake I had booked a room with no bathroom. That was changed immeditely at the reception whan I asked for it. The place is a little old, so you have to climb the stairs to the room at 2nd floor. The room was nice and ok - like a normal guesthouse-room, with a decent bathroom. Nothing special - but you get what you pay for. Breakfast was in the basement - mind your head going down there. Breakfast was fine and service down there was fine as well. There seemed to be a lot of staff for breakfast-serving, and alsom two people at reception, eventhough it's a prette small place. The hotel is associated with a bar/cafe next to the hotel. I didn't go there - but if you go out, turn left, then turn right at the corner - there's a great pub about 100 meter up. And also - don't forget an evening walk to Suspension Bridge - and bring your camera. It's very nice at sunset

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank henningn

Dear "Henningn",

Thank you for taking the time to review the Washington after your recent stay.

I am delighted that you were able to take in some of Bristol's fabulous sites - you are right, they are not to be missed (especially in the sunshine - we can always hope!). I also second your advice about reaching us from Temple Meads train station - Bristol is not a flat city by any stretch of the imagination so it is useful that the No.9 bus leaves the station every 10 minutes and drives right past the Washington. My reception team are on hand to help with any travel questions prior to any guests' arrival if any future guests would like help.

I am very pleased that reception were able to source a more suitable room for you when you arrived and that you found that they were helpful (I think they would argue that we need more staff, however, not less!). Better too many than too few I think!

I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have to stay I found this hotel a disappointment. I thought that the decor had seen better days. In my room, the toilet seat was chipped and there was a large stain on the bathroom floor (it looked as if it was a sizeable burn). The carpet in the bedroom was also stained, and the curtain was hanging off the curtain rail.

To reach my room (with heavy luggage) I had to go up two flights of stairs, along a passageway, and then down a further set of stairs. Not very convenient.

The walls in the room were paper thin, and I could hear every movement from nearby rooms.

Having said all that, there were some nice touches such as fresh fruit in my bedroom and a generous tea/coffee allowance.

Breakfast was pleasant, although the breakfast room did feel very crowded. I was also disappointed that the eggs weren't free range.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear "JuliefLuton",

Thank you for your review of the Washington - we appreciate hearing our guests' thoughts as it is all used in meetings to help improve our performance.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us - particularly by the maintenance issues that you had in your room. I have had a meeting with my Heads of department to discuss why these issues were not solved prior to your arrival and am confident that the correct checks are now being carried out.

The Washington is an old building so we are somewhat battling the elements in terms of wall thickness - this is something we are trying to address when we renovate the rooms. Reception are always happy to call other guests to ask them to try and reduce noise levels if it is disturbing you. I have also reiterated with reception that they should be offering to carry luggage for you - after all they haven't just battled a long journey!

I am, however, pleased that you were happy with the hospitality touches in your room.

Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay in the wonderful Clifton village, we took our 2 dogs and were give a twin room in the basement, sounds A bit grim but it was A nice size, and right by A fire exit door to the enclosed car park, where we could walk the dogs, free parking on the street, but if its not available, then its 6.00 to park in the secure car park, which is excellent value and under cctv. Real ground coffee and fruit in the rooms, and A great English brekkie. Well worth every penny.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank blackpoolbazza
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear "Blackpoolbazza",

Thank you for your kind review of the Washington - myself and my team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much - this is exactly the sort of feedback we thrive on!

I have also passed your comments onto our breakfast team - they work very hard (and get up very early!) so I'm sure they will be gratefully received.

I do sincerely hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Manager

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Nice guest house, wonderful staff, great breakfast, generous tea/coffee allowance, perfect location (for the Uni of Bristol department I was working in), good co-owner restaurant/sports bar (go for the fajitas). But hard bed, shower with two temperatures (too hot and too cold), steep stairs, tired decor, no chest of drawers to put clothes away. Would I stay again? Probably, yes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear "RikRaccoon",

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I am very pleased to read such positive comments about our staff and breakfast - I shall pass these onto the team in our meeting today.

As you pointed out, the Washington is a very characterful building - Grade 2 listed and quite old! It is for this reason that we do not have a lift here. The stairs can be steep, but we are more than happy to provide assistance where needed or to allocate a ground floor room if stairs are a problem. I would always recommend guests contacting us prior to their stay to make any special requirements or just wishes known to the team.

We are concentrating heavily on improving the decor for future guests - we are investing heavily in new beds, carpets, curtains etc to lift the look of the rooms. This is an exciting project and one that I hope will secure continued custom from our guests.

Once again thank you for your honest review - it is feedback like yours that helps us to improve our product.

Manager