“washington hotel”
Review of The Washington

The Washington
Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed 30 July 2013

goodish inexpensive accommodation with excellent breakfasts.but the hotel needs a complete makeover i think.will stay regularly as it is convenient for my purpose.parking isnt brilliant but there is asmall car park at the rear.nice area of bristol close to where i lived when i was a student.

Room Tip: aim for a room at the back away from traffic
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear "Michael H",

Thank you for reviewing the Washington - I am pleased to hear that you are returning to stay with us and that you are enjoying our full English breakfasts!

As you are a regular guest with us, we would be more than happy to show you a couple of rooms so that you can choose the one you prefer for the remainder of your stays - please just ask reception when you rebook and they will be very happy to assist you.

Parking, as you say, can be tricky in this very popular area of Bristol but as failsafe, we do have our own car park at the rear for just £6 per night - please just ask reception is you would like to make use of this.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Celebrating our son's graduation in Bristol, we advance booked three double rooms for one evening at the preferential rate. We would be the first to admit the place is in need of some serious investment but for what was required it ticked all our boxes. The laundry was clean, the en suite facilities did not job, there were ample tea and coffee making ingredients available and the staff, from the receptionist to the housekeeper could not have been more obliging. We also took advantage of the cheap parking Another plus is that it's only a short walk to the city centre. . Had we been staying much longer we would probably sought somewhere a little bit more up market but for our needs it was ideal. Also, may we add that heeded by a previous visit to the Washington a year ago, we decided to enjoy breakfast at a café in Clifton. Would we return? For one or two nights without any hesitation.

Room Tip: room 44 on the second floor was the best of the three we booked. Quieter and much more roomy than mo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear "Len G",

Thank your taking the time to review the Washington - I am very pleased to hear that you would return to us when next in Bristol!

I am particularly pleased that you picked up on all the little extras we put in the rooms to enhance our guests' stay. As mentioned in your review, we have rooms of all shapes and sizes due to nature of the conversion of our Grade 2 listed property - we are always happy to allocate rooms according to a guest's need. Please do feel free to contact us prior to your next stay and we will arrange for the rooms you request to be available.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights. The room was dated, ripped net curtains, paint peeling off the window frames, the radiator was rusty and fruit in the basket was mouldy! ( that was not replaced in the duration of our stay either). The room was small and the bathroom could have done with a good clean.On the first day, we ordered the full English breakfast but they had no bacon or hash browns even though there was a tesco's just up the road! When we went downstairs to breakfast, we had to manoeuvre round a couple of big laundry bags full of dirty linen that had just been left on the stairs, Health and Safety came to mind!!
On the plus side, the staff worked very hard, were very polite and very helpful.
It has a 3 star rating which surprised us.
If I am honest, I could not recommend this is you are looking to stay in Bristol, pay a bit extra and stay in a cleaner and better establishment, which I wish we had done!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear "Gary W",

Thank you for your review of the Washington - I'm really very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

I have addressed your comments with the teams involved to show them how a small error in one department - when mixed with small errors from other departments can really impact a guest's experience. We have put in place several new measures to ensure that the problems you occurred with your fruit and with the stacked laundry do not happen again.

The Washington is a 3 Star Guest house, not hotel (it is roughly equivalent with a 2 star hotel) which may explain why we didn't meet your expectations. That said, ripped curtains are not acceptable so I have had them removed in preparation for some new ones.

I am very sorry that these problems marred your stay. Should you return to Bristol I would be happy to handle your booking myself in order to ensure that you receive a discount on one of our nicer rooms. Please email me on joanna.tiernay@cliftonhotels.com to receive this.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was the most run down room I have stayed in by a considerable margin. Threadbare carpets, paint peeling from the walls, a shower you cant stand in because the ceiling is too low (I am around 5ft 10 so no that tall!), dark bathroom, mouldy fruit... I could go on. Asked about three different staff members to change my room as I was staying a whole week - none of them managed to do that even though there was a high turnover of occupants during the week.

Choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear "Tom S",

Thank you for your review of the Washington - all feedback, good or bad, is discussed and used to improve our service.

I am sorry that your recent stay with us was not up to standard. We do have some rooms on the lower ground floor level that have quite low ceilings - I have impressed upon my team the importance of noticing, when guests check in, the suitability of the room for the guest. I am sorry that this problem was not picked up prior to your arrival in the room in question.

I have spoken to my Assistant Manager, Helen, about your requests to move rooms and she has informed me that you were offered the room move on at least one occasion, but as you never confirmed with reception that this was what you wanted, no move was actioned. I am sorry that this was not followed up with you more effectively as as we were so busy in the week you stayed, the possibility to move rooms in the evening was not there.

I would like to apologise for the mouldy fruit in your room. This is completely unacceptable and I have had a meeting with my housekeeping team to impress on them the importance of checking the fruit daily.

With regards to the general decor of the Guest House, we are a 3 star Guest House so a certain amount of wear and tear is probably to be expected. In our most recent AA inspection we scored well for the decor and for the extras that we offer our guests (fresh tea, coffee, fruit and biscuits in the room). We do have an ongoing refurbishment here so are more than happy to allocate the newer rooms should guests wish - these rooms are, of course, used as a priority.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. I do hope that, should you return to the Bristol area, you would consider staying with us again. I would be more than happy to handle your booking myself and to offer you a discount on one of our nicer rooms.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

There were two main issues with my stay: (1)the ensuite bathroom contained only a... bath. The attached shower head was for decorative purposes as it did not really work. I wish that I had known about this when making the booking - being forced to take a bath or two daily (I stayed there during the heat wave) was not what I had in mind when making my booking.
(2) the room was ventillated by a single 50cm x 50cm window. It was scorching hot! I preferred staying outside of my room ALL day, which was much cooler, than inside. To the suggestion that they should have, in the least, bought and installed some fans, they replied that they had some but not enough for everyone, and that the warm summer days were unexpected! Well, it is not unexpected to have some warm days in Bristol in the UK EVERY year, and fans are quite CHEAP! Make the effort and buy one for EVERY room! When I pay £59 per night for a 1x2m single room, in the least I'd expect a shower! That's 2013 not the middle ages!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear "Yannis_pa",

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay - all feedback is used to improve our service. I am terribly sorry that you were not satisfied with your room or the Guest house in general - this is not the feedback that any of the team here wish to hear.

We have been having some water pressure problems on the second floor recently but work is under way to improve this with 2 pumps already having been installed. I am very sorry that this problem affected your stay - especially given the heat outside.

The Washington is an old building and is also Grade 2 listed so we do have a variety of window sizes and room sizes within the building. The second floor windows are the smallest we have as the ground and first floor all have floor to ceiling original windows. We are happy to find a room that is more suitable if requested. We do have a good supply of desk fans available, but given the heat they were all in use - I have recently purchased more to satisfy the demand and will be working towards having one in every room.

Once again, I am sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay. Should you wish to give us another try I would be happy to handle your reservation myself so as to make sure you get a suitable room at a discounted rate.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed here on the 17/7/2013. The hotel is a bit tatty and run down. However, the staff are really nice and helpful which is a big positive in my book. The rooms are small and basic and the bathroom is ok. Put simply you wouldn't come here for a luxury weekend, but it's good if all you want are the basics. The breakfast was perfectly good

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Supernickkyles

Dear "Supernickkyles",

Thank you so much for reviewing the Washington - I am pleased to hear that your recent stay at the Washington met your expectations. I have passed your kind comments regarding the service on to all involved where it was received gratefully.

We are always looking to smarten up and improve the rooms for our guests and have an ongoing rolling refurbishment to tidy and touch up the rooms in place. We are more than happy to allocate rooms according to guests' needs - so if a larger room is requested, we will do our very best to accommodate the request.

I do hope we will see you here again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Booked a twin room, asked for quiet location and it was. The room and hotel is in need of decorating and updating but for the price for one night was satisfactory. Breakfast was nice, plenty of it and cooked fresh. Staff were helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
WashingtonManager, Manager at The Washington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear "Stephsam1925",

Thank you for your review of the Washington. I am very pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your recent stay with us. I have passed your comments about the staff onto the team here where it was gratefully received!

We are constantly looking to improve our rooms here, myself and my House Manager, Anna, have weekly meetings to assess what should be addressed next - I am confident that should you return, you would find the same great value but with an even nicer room!

Joanna Tiernay